Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
How long have you owned your trailer without a cover?

We recently bought a new 8328SB Signature Rockwood. We plan on keeping this trailer for a while (approx 10 years). Many links on covers and many that are not happy with them since they seem to tear within a short period. I would like to know from owners who have had their trailers for several years i.e. 5 years and longer without a cover and how well their trailers held up?

I plan to put eternabond by the front cap and over any other openings on the roof plus some self leveling caulk. I also plan to wax it at least twice a year and also wash and keep the roof clean.

So, does anyone have a trailer that's never been covered and still looks great, or do I need to spend approx $1500 for a cover made out of Sunbrella that will last?

We live in NW Florida and the sun like many other places is brutal. We also don't use the trailer during the hottest part of summer i.e. June, July, August. We are more spring and fall campers.
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have always covered mine during winter months so if you do not plan on using in the last months of the year and into the early months of Jan and Feb I'd say its not hot enough in your area to buy a really expensive cover. My cover usually last about 5 years, and I have been trading campers about every 5 years so then its time to buy a new one. It helps keep camper clean and prevent roof deterioration due to the elements. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
We recently bought a new 8328SB Signature Rockwood. We plan on keeping this trailer for a while (approx 10 years). Many links on covers and many that are not happy with them since they seem to tear within a short period. I would like to know from owners who have had their trailers for several years i.e. 5 years and longer without a cover and how well their trailers held up?

I plan to put eternabond by the front cap and over any other openings on the roof plus some self leveling caulk. I also plan to wax it at least twice a year and also wash and keep the roof clean.

So, does anyone have a trailer that's never been covered and still looks great, or do I need to spend approx $1500 for a cover made out of Sunbrella that will last?

We live in NW Florida and the sun like many other places is brutal. We also don't use the trailer during the hottest part of summer i.e. June, July, August. We are more spring and fall campers.
I use car wash and wax soap, I wash once a month on overcast day, My camper always shines like new
tomingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #4

I never covered in Cleveland as the trailer was only out of the barn April - November. Covered here in Virginia and the cover didn't last 2 years. We store off site and the storage yard increased their prices significantly 6 months ago under new owners. Trailer is now in an indoor storage facility in the next county for the same cost as outdoor storage here.

Sun is going to eat your roof hatches, even under protective covers. Adjusted for storage the hatch in the main cabin turned to granola in 5 years. The cover over it is still fine. I think I'm on my 3d range vent hood cover.

-- Chuck
Old 05-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #5

We have never covered any of our trailers in 35 plus years of owning campers.

Never changed resale value or had any major issues.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:46 PM   #6

I bought a Rockwood Ultra lite new in 2014 and have never covered it. It sits out in the California central valley sun over the summer (we camp only in fall and spring, 5 months total). I've washed the roof twice once with a brush and mild soap, the other just with a hose and nozzle. I've added and upgraded solar three times and been up there to repair the shower skylight (three trips) and damaged TV antenna and add a vent cover and replace another vent cover. I've damaged the edges with tree branches and repaired with Eternabond. I've repaired cracks in the dicor (mostly with Eternabond). So I'm up there at least twice each year, usually 3 or 4 times. The rubber membrane seems just fine. I have not put Eternabond across the membrane-cap joint but know that that is overdue, especially since the upper portion of the cap has drooped inward making a bit of a sharper bend in that seam.

Early on a friend gave me a high quality fairly light cover that would fit, but after just laying it out in the driveway I decided life is too short ......... and I'm too old to be trying to get even that light-weight thing up there and off again (my Ultralight is over 12 feet at the front). So, early on I resigned myself to a new roof at 10 years. At this point I'm thinking I'll get at least 10 years and maybe more in spite of the abuse. What I save on the cover will go toward the cost of a new roof.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #7

We live near Houston which has hot brutal sun in the summer. For the first couple of years, we paid for enclosed storage and the trailer looked great. Then we tried outdoor storage at an rv park.
After a couple of months watching the rain and sun damage the outside of the trailer, we bit the bullet and paid for enclosed storage again.
Many people who have their own land to store their rvs erect a canopy over their rig.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
I bought a Rockwood Ultra lite new in 2014 and have never covered it. It sits out in the California central valley sun over the summer (we camp only in fall and spring, 5 months total). I've washed the roof twice once with a brush and mild soap, the other just with a hose and nozzle. I've added and upgraded solar three times and been up there to repair the shower skylight (three trips) and damaged TV antenna and add a vent cover and replace another vent cover. I've damaged the edges with tree branches and repaired with Eternabond. I've repaired cracks in the dicor (mostly with Eternabond). So I'm up there at least twice each year, usually 3 or 4 times. The rubber membrane seems just fine. I have not put Eternabond across the membrane-cap joint but know that that is overdue, especially since the upper portion of the cap has drooped inward making a bit of a sharper bend in that seam.

Early on a friend gave me a high quality fairly light cover that would fit, but after just laying it out in the driveway I decided life is too short ......... and I'm too old to be trying to get even that light-weight thing up there and off again (my Ultralight is over 12 feet at the front). So, early on I resigned myself to a new roof at 10 years. At this point I'm thinking I'll get at least 10 years and maybe more in spite of the abuse. What I save on the cover will go toward the cost of a new roof.
Thanks! exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for or even if you had it for ten years and it looked like crap. I just want to know. The feedback I get will help determine if I end up with a cover or not. On my other tailer, I had one that was given to me as a gift and it was a pain to get up there and put it on, and it was a smaller trailer. I only did it twice. I did not have it that long and gave it to the person that bought it from me. Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomingram View Post
I use car wash and wax soap, I wash once a month on overcast day, My camper always shines like new
Hi I've owned this 2017 wildwood and all I can say is the factory decals steel look like new The front cap I give more attention, ok some people going to think in crazy, but I do the front with cheep sun block for people, its the only thing that will clean and protect, I only do sun block when needed. Got new tablet Anyway I'll get some pictures and get them to ya,Tom
tomingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomingram View Post
Hi I've owned this 2017 wildwood and all I can say is the factory decals steel look like new The front cap I give more attention, ok some people going to think in crazy, but I do the front with cheep sun block for people, its the only thing that will clean and protect, I only do sun block when needed. Got new tablet Anyway I'll get some pictures and get them to ya,Tom
If you can post pics, that would be great! I am sure there are a lot of people out there that don't cover their RV. Ideally, I would build a shelter but I cannot do that where I live.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #11

My situation is probably a bit different than yours as I am in Michigan. The season here is from April to October IF you are really trying to stretch it out. Most folks up here only use their campers for three months. We don't have the brutal sun up here that you have all year. My bigger concern is the long winters with snow and ice sitting on the roof and causing problems.

That said, I have never used a cover as they seem like more trouble than they are worth. Current camper is 5 yers old. The first three years, our camper sat outside year round. The last two years it has spend 6 months of the winter indoors. The roof is in great shape. Previous campers were much older and never got covered.

One thing I noticed up here (obviously different than your situation) is going into the storage lot in the winter or spring. I noticed a large majority of the covers were torn and falling apart. Lots of the campers show damage from the straps and buckles working their way loose and then eubbing all over the camper and causing scratches and body damage. So I wouldn't think about putting a cover on it unless it was in a place where I could regularly see it to be sure that the cover was not loosening up and coming off.

I had to chuckle at the idea of putting it away in the summer months. Couldn't be any different than up here!!!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:34 AM   #12

We had our previous class C motorhome for 12 years. I kept it mostly in the driveway. We covered from November to March/April. It spent 1 winter inside. I washed it every trip, and waxed it 2-3x/year. After 12 years it looked like it had sat out in the sun for 12 years despite my best efforts. We are fortunate enough to have indoor storage available now. It is expensive but less than having to completely refurbish the exterior after 10-12 years.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #13

I had to chuckle at the idea of putting it away in the summer months. Couldn't be any different than up here!!![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. I had a feeling someone would find it kind of humorous knowing full well that there are a lot of people that can only camp in the summer. I was mostly targeting people in South, and places like AZ, Nevada etc. I am surprised I am not hearing from too many. I can't be in the minority that does not cover their trailer. Oh well, I am leaning towards waxing it a few times a year and see how it holds up. I have had boats for many years and they take a beating in the sun and salt water and I have been able to keep them looking pretty good. We shall see! Maybe years from now due I will be able to provide feedback from a personal experience.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #14

RV Covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post

I tried covering my Class A a few times but found it to be a lot of work and is somewhat risky. So I don't cover it anymore and I have seen plenty of RVs that are older with the paint still in very good shape. The only exception is the exteriors with the decal designs. The decals can deteriorate. But the paint, my guess, is similar to that used on cars which can last outdoors for ten to fifteen years.

Here's an interesting blog on it...

Full Body Paint - General RV Information - Escapees Discussion Forum
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #15
Site Team

I had a cover for my previous trailer for 10 years. It was an ADCO and gave to the person who bougnt the trailer. But we lived in sunny California then and the sun destroyed the decals.
Now we live in Washington State and my current TT is parked in a spot with lots of shade. If I find an EBay deal on a slightly used one, like I did with my previous cover, I'll buy it. I find them beneficial.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #16

I have a Flagstaff V Lite. I have had it for 9+ years. Never covered. Clean the roof, add self- leveling, wax twice a year still looks good. I live southwest of New Orleans. Hot and plenty of sun. High today suppose to be 92.
lesteradams6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #17

cloth covers

I sold my cover last week. Never used it. I store under a roofed shed, and take it out frequently. Solar panels on top, so I never cover it anyway. Have owned RV's for 45 years, and only had the cover for two of them. Only used it on one, when storing in the snow. Too much trouble to climb up there and put it on and off.
Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #18
Enjoying Life

Tried a cover long ago. Decided it was too much trouble. We had a Trail Bay for over ten years and it looked perfect when we sold it. All of our other trailers we have just kept clean and waxed and they always look close to new.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #19

We had our first trailer parked with no cover. Lasted a few years. Then the weather took out the refrigerator cover (cracked it) and over the winter the snowmelt seeped into the crack and went down to the floor. When I stepped into the trailer on our first camping trip, my foot went through the floor. Needless to say it was a major repair (stix and staples days), so we built indoor storage for it after it was fixed. It is the way to go if you can. Our neighbor is using a cover on her unit, but, she has a son who can help her get it on and off. If you even have a way to put up a carport type of shelter, it will help a lot.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #20

We had an aluminum clad, Class C for 13 years and never covered it. We coated the roof annually and never had a problem. Brutal Illinois winters and sun in the summer.

We covered our new Class C the first winter and the cover lasted only a couple months before it shredded and blew off in the wind. It was replaced under warranty, but putting it on in even a slight breeze can be daunting. On my first attempt, I thought I would be parasailing.

As for Florida, if you can keep your boat looking good, the camper is a bit bulkier, but should be no problem. Our SW Florida neighbor has an uncovered FG camper in their drive and it looks great. It is a 2006 model and has always been in the Florida elements.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, trailer