Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #21

We took 7 weeks right after we retired. Next month we head out west for 10 - 12 weeks. A new record for us.
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Take 2 to 3 2 wk. trips and several 4 to 5 day trips plus now we will also do some local short trips at our local Shriner campground.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #23

We are usually out three or four weeks. It depends on where we go and the likely hood of returning.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #24

Smile Trip length

We do lots of mid week 2-3 days and 1-2 big (1-2 weeks) trips a year. Currently limited b/c grandkids but plan to stay out months at a time when they are out on their own. I work online so that makes it convenient.
RFGTLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #25

I just retired and am under 60. My wife has 1 more year. She will be 58 then. We just sold our mountain cabin. Right now she has 2 months off for the summer. Lots of short trips planned. We mostly do weekdays by ourselves. I don't like to camp in a trailer park with a bunch of people walking through camps and making lots of noise. Lots of open spaces in Arizona and Utah. Pines in the summer and desert in the winter. Fire restriction on now so no camp fires which is ok by me. Saying that, we are leaving for Silverton AND staying in a park on the north end of town for 5 days with not hookups.It will be busy because of the 4th and a jeep jamboree. Staying in another park in Marysvale Utah in September for 5 days riding offroad toys with a bunch of friends.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #26

I'm retired but DH still does some consulting but picks when and where. We do several short trips in June and July but love Ontario camping in September and October once the kids are back in school. Other than Jan and Feb in 2015 which we spent in south Florida we usually are gone less than an a month. Our home is in the country with acreage so it's not easy to get someone to take care of it.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut_un View Post
For those that are not full timers, how long do you guys stay out? Wife and I usually plan (local instate camping trips) to be 4-6 days. Being retired I tend to like to come in mid week, stay they the weekend and then allow all the weekenders the chance to clear out and again, have the place to ourselves! Hoping , at some point to do a 2-3 week camp... A road trip with a big loop! How bout you guys??
We just did a week in local state park. We'll pull out mid-July to go to Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, back home to Arkansas. Then December head south for winter and return home in March or April.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #28

Retired so we leave June, July, and August for those with school age children. The other 9 months we will average 100 - 140 days.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #29
John Schaefer

We usually go out for 5-7 days and time it to avoid weekender traffic. In a few weeks were going to do our first 4 week excursion covering central and western Oregon. We've heard many good things about the coast and I'm going to get a bit of fishing in along the way. Considering what it takes food wise for 4 weeks we plan to use Walmart/Cosco where available and use local places when they are not. Towing a VW Beetle so side trips are going to be fun - Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood, etc.

Jack Schaefer
2015 28QBE Coachmen Freelander
Johnjschaeferjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #30

As I'm still working, I usually try to get weekend trips in fairly close to home (2-4 hr drive) to it's 2-3 days. My one big trip each year is about 12 days going to a geocaching event in Ohio and then straight up to Oshkosh WI for the airshow. The Ohio event has hookups but at OSH, it's boondocking. Hope the temps stay down this year as my generator isn't strong enough to run my AC.
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #31

DH just "retired" (corporate downsizing) last June. We weren't totally prepared at that point, but did several trips, the longest was 13 days. This year so far, we've done a week at the beach and two weeks in a state park in Georgia, but we are leaving for three months at the end of July. This will be an eye opener for us as to whether we think we can travel that long, or even try full-timing. Our home is way too much maintenance (pool and huge yard), and this half of the couple would love to downsize and travel full time for awhile. We are heading out west to see some national parks we haven't seen yet: Yellowstone, Glacier, Rockies, etc. on this trip. Next year, we are planning an east coast trip all the way to Nova Scotia and PEI. If we can handle three months in a hybrid, I'm sure we could live in a fifth wheel or MH full time for a while! It's all in what makes you happy!
106 nights 2016, 83 nights 2017
Going Full Time in Spring 2018

Zargonians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #32
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

Our norm was 3 days every other weekend or so, as long as weather permitted (Seattle can be tough in the winter). In celebration of our retirement, we are in month 4 of a 6 month United States tour, state number 16, New York. Tomorrow we will put 3 more States under our belt when we hit Maine!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #33

I'm retired but my DW still works. We've just upgraded to a new truck and TT from a 20-25 year old truck/TT combo. We've been out 4 times with the new rig and plan on going out every weekend that we can. I usually haul and setup on Friday then pick up DW at work and start the weekend. We then come home on Sunday. I'm having surgery in the fall so we are saving her vacation time for that but next year we hope to do a cruise and at least one long camping trip along with as many weekends as we can swing.

Exlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #34

Depends on the trip we did 2 weeks in Florida in January plus drive time and plan the same trip 1/17. Last fall did a 16 day trip to Yellowstone and grand Teton plus stops in between and this year planning 17 days to Niagara falls and Acadia NP. In between we did 4-5 days in hot springs NP and took the granddaughters to MS for 5 days. Then in Aug the Goshen rally both last year and this. I love extended trips for longer travel and also enjoy quick local trips. I would keep scheduling longer trips until you find what is too long. GOOD LUCK!!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #35

We're retired and typically spend 100+ nights per year camping. Snowbirding, workcamping, and sightseeing. I'd like to double it but about 100 is what my DW is comfortable with right now. It will probably go up in a couple of years after the Grandchildren get a bit older.
So far this year we've spent 60 nights camping.
bop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #36

Never long enough

I started out with a Class C 2 years ago thinking that I'd stay one place a couple of nights and move on. I found I like my 2 wk stays in some beautiful places and exploring new areas. So the Class C was traded in on a bigger Class A and I am so much happier on the road than at home. My house will still be there when I am too old to live this wonderful lifestyle! I stay on the road 2-4 months, go home for a couple of weeks and leave again. See how comfortable you are for longer periods of time and how much you enjoy going further from home. Hope to meet you all in some of the wonderful campgrounds we have in this country. Safe travels.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #37

When I bought our first Class A, without the boss' permission, she said we will take it out at least once a month. She didn't care if it was five miles away, it was coming out of storage. Four class A's later it has been out at least once a month. In May I leave for Key West and normally stay till Sept. Last year after Key West, we went to Panama City Beach, then Charleston. Looks like the same plan this year.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #38

Since we both still work, we take at least one trip a month and stay 3 nights each time. I look forward to a few years from now when we retire and can take longer trips.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #39
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Just got back from a trip that took us 7200 miles to the east coast( Mayberry Rally), and back.Spent 7 weeks out, going again next week-end for 5 days, then various short trips... Come November, I winter in Arizona for 3 months...But, it's always nice to have a place to come back to. Old Dodge just likes to go....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #40
smo

Retired in 2012,bought a new 5th wheel, did a couple of weekends locally then left Florida one June day and traveled the East Coast all the way to Nova Scotia and back to Florida in mid October. Just after Thanksgiving left Florida and headed to Arizona for a few weeks stay then back to Florida by first week of February. Enjoyed seeing the sights as we traveled US & Canada and the other RV'ers we met along the way. The following April we left Florida and headed to Maine to try a stint of being Volunteer's at Acadia Nat'l Park that Summer. We enjoyed it so much that we are in our 3rd year there. Again as Volunteers,Great Times, meeting Nice Folks.
smo is offline   Reply With Quote