Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #1

How long until you trade/sell ?

We are heading into our third season of being weekend warriors in the camping game. Our travel trailer (Micro Lite 23FB) has been perfect for us and we have really enjoyed it Camping almost 100 nights in our first two seasons.
The other thing we really enjoy is that our trailer is paid for so in order for me to even consider trading / selling to get a new model the deal had better be spectacular.
So in saying that, what do you consider is the best time start shopping for a new RV that will give you the best return on your investment? I know trailers depreciate fast, just don’t know how fast.
I am thinking the 5-year mark is when we will make our move, But there are a lot of nice new models out now that I think we could be happy with!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
We are heading into our third season of being weekend warriors in the camping game. Our travel trailer (Micro Lite 23FB) has been perfect for us and we have really enjoyed it Camping almost 100 nights in our first two seasons.
The other thing we really enjoy is that our trailer is paid for so in order for me to even consider trading / selling to get a new model the deal had better be spectacular.
So in saying that, what do you consider is the best time start shopping for a new RV that will give you the best return on your investment? I know trailers depreciate fast, just don’t know how fast.
I am thinking the 5-year mark is when we will make our move, But there are a lot of nice new models out now that I think we could be happy with!
I bought my tt for around $23,000 in 2009. Sold it in Aug 2016 for 12,500 net10,500 after paying the dealer who helped us with the sale. Bought my MH about a month later for 45,000 was 56,000 value according to the tax folks here in SC
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
Site Team

For us, fall is the best shopping time. Summer is over and dealers want to get rid of inventory before winter hits(since sales are at their lowest) and to make room for the new year models.

But we NEVER do trade-ins, since only the dealer wins.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
For us, fall is the best shopping time. Summer is over and dealers want to get rid of inventory before winter hits(since sales are at their lowest) and to make room for the new year models.

But we NEVER do trade-ins, since only the dealer wins.
What is your average length of time you hang on to your RV before you decide to go shopping?

2024 ML25SRK
Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
Site Team

No set time.
We are always shopping but we don't buy unless our old RV no longer suits our current needs.
We kept our last RV 10 years until we retired and it no longer fit our retired style of camping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
Canadian Member

We’ve bought 3 campers - all purchased used. Saves a lot of money but you need to be cautious and very picky. Had the Coleman popup for about 5 summers (rented the same model for a week/year the 2 previous summers), sold it privately and bought the Roo. Had the Roo for 2 summers and sold it privately. Then bought our current TT and this will be our 4th summer with it. The only things I’d want if we replaced it would be a bed slide for more space in the bedroom and recliner chairs in addition to the sofa. I’d like to move to a 5th wheel when I retire in 4 years, but DW loves all the storage in our TT and its hard to find that kind of inside storage in anything under 32’ long so we may keep it for quite a while.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #7

We bought a 2017 shasta flyte 265 bunkhouse in september of 2016. We just traded it 2 weeks ago for a 2018 Cherokee Limited 304 bh. We have kids, and simply didn't like the floorpan of the shasta after a year although it was mostly problem free.

If the new camper stays relatively trouble free, we will keep it for 6-8 years probably before moving on.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #8

I have found the best time to buy is late Fall or Winter because dealers do not want to carry over last years models.

Best time to sell is spring when other Rv owners are looking to upgrade.

I have purchased Rvs in the fall and sold my old Rv in the following spring. Alternately you could sell your Rv in the spring and go the summer without an Rv and purchase in the fall.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #9

The trailer has been perfect for you, you're really enjoying it and it's paid for....why do you need a new trailer? We have a 2011 Puma 295bhk and we love it. When the grand-kids quit coming with us we will probably convert the rear bedroom into a living room.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #10

We just traded last fall.
Our idea is to use it until it doesn't fit the bill anymore.
The Roo we had was really nice and we kept it for almost two years.
Our family of 5 overgrew it since my boys are really tall so we sold it.
Now with the 2909 we expect to keep it for the next 10 years (at least) for we will have two kids in college soon so we will be really tight on money and for a long time....
I agree with the timing: fall, according with our experience, seems to put some pressure on the dealers to make a deal.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
What is your average length of time you hang on to your RV before you decide to go shopping?
We have had a total of 4 campers, 1 popup and 3 TT's, and have kept them for 3 seasons each. We just purchased another TT that we will pick up in the spring, a 2018 FR Rockwood 2706ws. After trading in our popup and seeing the financial loss on the trade I decided to sell my other TT's on my own. The last one I sold went for $5000 more than the dealer would give me on a trade. Try to sell your TT on your own and then pay cash for the next one.
FR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #12

We have had two travel trailers and three fifth wheels. This fifth wheel we plan to keep. We have spent to much on this camper to trade or sell it
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #13

I'm convinced that modern RVs aren't made to last more than five years of moderate to full-time use use. Our current RV is the first we have kept longer, at six years now. We have started looking, but honestly can't find anything we like better. So I just keep inspecting and maintaining this rig.

I believe your ability to sell for a good price goes down considerably as your RV approaches 10 years. At ten years you are basically off loading it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
The trailer has been perfect for you, you're really enjoying it and it's paid for....why do you need a new trailer? We have a 2011 Puma 295bhk and we love it. When the grand-kids quit coming with us we will probably convert the rear bedroom into a living room.

It’s not that I need or want anything, just trying to see what others think s the best return on there investment without taking to much of a beating on the resale value.
I have never owned a RV anything so I am just trying to get an idea of how fast they depreciate and what the average length of time is people hang on to what they have.

2024 ML25SRK
Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm convinced that modern RVs aren't made to last more than five years of moderate to full-time use use. Our current RV is the first we have kept longer, at six years now. We have started looking, but honestly can't find anything we like better. So I just keep inspecting and maintaining this rig.

I believe your ability to sell for a good price goes down considerably as your RV approaches 10 years. At ten years you are basically off loading it.

This is kind of what I have been thinking, somewhere in the 5 year range is a good time to flip to something newer. thanks.

2024 ML25SRK
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It’s not that I need or want anything, just trying to see what others think s the best return on there investment without taking to much of a beating on the resale value.
I have never owned a RV anything so I am just trying to get an idea of how fast they depreciate and what the average length of time is people hang on to what they have.
We're approaching our 5 year mark this spring and have been in the serious contention of trading our TT in on a 5th wheel. Not that we're unhappy with our TT, but I wanted to address a couple of minor annoyances now that we're looking at a better truck, mostly due to overall length. That being said, I was a little shocked when we inquired about the trade in value of our TT, and found out they're offering around 1/2 what we paid 5 years ago, which was already 8000 off MSRP at the time. So, at the (almost) 5 year mark, our ROI has dropped to less than 1/2 of MSRP.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #17

We bought our Springdale in 2013. It was a bunkhouse since we had teenagers we needed all the room we could get. We Just sold the Springdale a couple weeks ago. When it came down to the numbers, we were just even on the Springdale. We sold because now we camp without many guests so we wanted a rear living model. After walking through about 7 different models the Hemisphere GLX 272RL totally fit what we wanted. This camper will be with us much longer than the last. Friends are thinking of buying a new TT this year after buying last year. They need a bunkhouse for the same reasons we had one. They know they are going to take a bit if a hit on selling so soon, but now know they should have bought a bunkhouse last year.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #18

We are going to keep this one until the time comes to give up the RV lifestyle. As long as I feel comfortable with towing, etc. we will be here. Then we sell. We figure we are having so much fun that whatever the cost it is/has been worth it. If we have a pay to have the RV towed away, so be it. I hope that time is still several years away.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #19
Canadian Member

RVs are a depreciating asset so there is no positive ROI. If you're looking for the lowest loss, don't buy new, buy used. The depreciation will be less over the time you own it and the depreciation rate will decrease as it gets older - to a point. RVs lose a lot more when you take it off the dealer's lot than a car or truck and they depreciate at a faster rate than a domestic car or truck.

You'll lose at lot less by buying a good used camper and keeping it for 5 years compared to buying new and selling it after 5 years. And you can have just as good of an experience as long as you don't buy somebody else's problem.

The tricky part of buying a used camper is knowing how long to keep it before it starts costing you a lot in maintenance and the advantage (vs. buying new) begins to decrease.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #20

I had an RV salesman tell me November is the best time. No, I wasn't buying at the time. He said the reason is, the dealer at that point hasn't had good sales in a while (usually since August). December is not a good time, because people do buy RVs for Christmas. January can be good, depending on the weather (only if it is really cold and people aren't getting the itch). By February, people are looking to get ready for the Spring.

Of course no science here and this is in the Southeast (Georgia).

I have always bought new. It isn't that bad, if you don't finance everything (taxes, warranty, upgrades, etc.) and don't finance it forever! However, like many have said, if you buy used, someone else has already taken the huge depreciation and you now just take the normal depreciation (slower over the life). If you want a warranty, there are companies, which offer extended warranties for used RVs. My wife likes new, so we buy new.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote