Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

How long will Inverter power my fridge ?

Starting our Yellowstone Journey in May. 2016 FR Vibe.

The first leg is a long one We will be traveling 1100 mile over 2 days only stopping to boondock somewhere for sleep overnight.

If I get my freezer cold before I leave. and Keep in mind my 2017 F150 has some amount of charging going into the camper while driving.

Will my Inverter keep the Residential fridge running and keep the freezer frozen
for this amount of time (approx 35 hours) without killing the batterys

I have 2 group 27 12volt batterys in parallel and It will be getting help from the truck for all but about 9 hours.

Any help appreciated.
OzarkVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #2

BLUF: NO

* BLUF: Bottom line up front

Assuming you have a good quality group 27 battery, expect about 100 amp hours apiece for a total of 200 amp hours without only 50% of that usable to extend battery lifespan.

Using https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/rv-...igerator-power for residential fridge power consumption, you are looking at 2,000 watts per day. At 12 volts assuming 100% efficiency of your inverter (really 85%), you will be using about 166 amp of battery per day.

Power from vehicle is neglible in that the wiring is too thin to support any real effect on battery charge and power delivery to battery.

In theory, if you have sufficient tow vehicle alternator residual capacity, then a a large wire (use a website to calculate necessary wire size for a given run and amperage) run from alternator output to camper battery should work just fine.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkVibe View Post
Starting our Yellowstone Journey in May. 2016 FR Vibe.

The first leg is a long one We will be traveling 1100 mile over 2 days only stopping to boondock somewhere for sleep overnight.

If I get my freezer cold before I leave. and Keep in mind my 2017 F150 has some amount of charging going into the camper while driving.

Will my Inverter keep the Residential fridge running and keep the freezer frozen
for this amount of time (approx 35 hours) without killing the batterys

I have 2 group 27 12volt batterys in parallel and It will be getting help from the truck for all but about 9 hours.

Any help appreciated.
With minimal open and closing you’ll be fine.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:16 AM   #4

You likely need double the batteries you have.

Fill several jugs with water. Freeze them well. Use later to make coffee etc. We try not to drink tap water.

Put one in the freezer and one in the fridge. Minimize opening. Pre refrigerate all contents. Put a block of ice in the freezer for the return trip.

You will be swell.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:49 AM   #5

I know nothing about the subject, but here is another “study”.

Residential Fridges In Boondocking RVs - Updated Summer 2017 — Live Small | Ride Free - Sustainable Solar Powered RV
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #6

F150's are typically not set up at the factory to charge the trailer battery. Make sure you get it set up to do so, if you or the dealer has not done it already.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #7

I have four six volt Trojans and a residential refrigerator, my refrigerator can go for four days without power. We hardly ever boondock. We travel sometimes five hundred miles in a day but we always find a campground spot for the night
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #8

Open your fridge and look at the yellow energy tag. If it says 500kw per year, for example, divide that by 365 and you need about 1400 watts per day. If you don’t open the fridge a lot and it’s good and cold when you leave, and it’s a decent Energy Star model, you need about 116 amps for regular use. Since you won’t be opening it very much I think it will use a lot less energy.

I think you’ll be fine. You can always buy a cheap thermometer with external display and monitor from the truck.

*500kw hours is pretty typical for newer fridges.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter, power