Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #21

It’s clear that there are laws in every state, but passing a slow moving vehicle in a no passing zone with double solid line is also breaking the law in all states.
People need to do the correct speed to maintain there vehicles in a safe manner based on road conditions.

I just returned from the mountains in Pa. and half the road were so narrow with no shoulders and rock walls. It was hard keeping my truck between the lines while doing the speed limit. I had no option but to drive slower to keep us safe.
The road had double lines and no where to pull over.
What’s a cop going to do , pull me over and block the entire road ? 🤣

Like most states , 10 mph under the posted speed limit is within the law.

People need to slow down and make time for delays while traveling.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #22

Good that you don't live on the west coast! Some of the states will have designated stretches of of two lane roads that allow you to travel on the "shoulder" of the road. There are notices posted when you have to return to the "highway".
bprovost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #23

I generally travel at 90 to 100 km/hr and I really don’t care. I am not pulling onto the shoulder to let people pass as that is very dangerous, and probably illegal. They can pass me or wait for a passing lane.
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #24

How many cars do you stack up?

I agree with Gravelrider: Pull over and let faster vehicles pass when ever safe, no minimum number required! Road Rage is too prevalent (and dangerous) these days to risk doing otherwise. (think about how you feel when trapped behind a long line of slow campers when driving your car). I also like the photo posted by SailorSam20500 showing a little humor to defuse frustration - I assume that SailorSam20500 will use those turnouts when available.
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #25
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucherk View Post
As I travel down the road I sometimes see long lines of vehicles backed up behind slow moving RV or TT. My question is how many people do you let behind you in a line before you pull over?

I generally travel at a peak speed of 63 mph as that seems to be my sweet spot for fuel mileage. So when you have the following situations how many vehicles to you stack up behind you?

1. When you are going below the posted speed limit? (For me it's 4)
2. When you are going the posted speed limit? (For me it's 4)
3. When exceeding the speed limit? (I don't worry. We're all breaking the law :-)

Out west there are states with up to 80 mph limits on the freeways and 65 on the two lanes so it can become an issue. Thanks for your input!

Posted speed limits are there for a reason. They’re not there for a suggestion. If I’m going to speed limit I don’t pull over. Why should I? I’m going to maximal speed allowed by law if I’m going to slow for you when I’m doing the speed limit you find another route.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
Posted speed limits are there for a reason. They’re not there for a suggestion. If I’m going to speed limit I don’t pull over. Why should I? I’m going to maximal speed allowed by law if I’m going to slow for you when I’m doing the speed limit you find another route.
There's the good-natured community-minded spirit. F 'em as long as I'm happy.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post

X2 , if your doing the posted speed limit why pull over?
Old 10-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Citation, please.

-- Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by bprovost View Post
Good that you don't live on the west coast! Some of the states will have designated stretches of of two lane roads that allow you to travel on the "shoulder" of the road. There are notices posted when you have to return to the "highway".
My only heartburn about the drive on the shoulder option is the shower of windshield pitting stones that can get kicked up by those vehicles doing it. Along with shredded truck tires and other road debris, shoulders can be a real mess.
tps28ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #29

x2 on most of the above.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
California law requires you to use a turnout to let faster traffic pass when 5 or more vehicles stack up behind you.
IMO, 63 mph is pretty slow for a two lane highway and is a recipe for frustrated faster traffic if passing lanes are infrequent. I use turnouts in mountainous areas whenever possible.
Choosing to drive at or near posted speed limits should not be used to prevent others from exceeding it.
I think in Colorado it is four vehicles and the Colorado State Patrol does ticket those who who impede traffic. Don't be inconsiderate and pull over if and others, even one vehicle, are behind you and especially if passing areas are not available.
Stevejfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #31
Site Team

I try to pull over, at the earliest possibility. I'll do it as many times as I can.
I don't being like behind someone who won't pull over so I try not to be that person.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #32

Just got back from traveling on a two lane with no decent pull offs. Speed limit was 65, my cruise was set at 67. There were several vehicles behind me peaking out, trying to pass. Road was too busy to pass safely.
Then two state cops went by going the other way. Amazing how they all slowed down, got off my rear, and spread out after that.
Everybody was fine for the next 40 miles until we got close to a town where it turned into a 4 lane.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #33

Cool

We have not been fortunate enough to make it out west yet so I want make sure I understand. It is illegal to have 5 cars behind you when traveling the posted speed limit. So you must pull over to allow them passed so they can go above the posted speed limit. If that is the case can someone give me the meaning of the signs with the big numbers posted on it?
Old 10-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM796 View Post
We have not been fortunate enough to make it out west yet so I want make sure I understand. It is illegal to have 5 cars behind you when traveling the posted speed limit. So you must pull over to allow them passed so they can go above the posted speed limit. If that is the case can someone give me the meaning of the signs with the big numbers posted on it?
Exactly. I was wondering if any of the laws mentioned speed limit
And honestly, I live 'out west' and I've never seen a sign like that, or heard of a law like that. Of course, I'm rarely in CA with the RV, where apparently there are all kinds of different laws
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #35

Know and obey the laws in the state you're traveling is a good takeaway.

Another tidbit... read every road sign.

I know, it sounds like something everyone should already be doing right? But we can get distracted. Must remember to stay focused....
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #36

Just to throw a wrinkle in to this conversation...in California, isn't the speed limit for vehicles towing trailers 55 mph? That means that you may be legally restricted from going the same speed as "normal" vehicles, rendering the "I'm going the speed limit" argument moot (unless all two-lane roads in CA are 55 mph or less...I really don't know).

Edit to add: [Regarding the mod's edit to my post...hey, I was just responding to the reference in post #26 lol]
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #37

When was the last time a professional driver pulled off to let you pass?
I adopted the same formula they use
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #38

When we tow our fifth wheel we are towing our home. I do not pull on to shoulders or break down lanes whether I'm towing or bobtailing. I am not going to hit a chuckhole, end drive, culvert or road debris just so you can speed on by. I drive a steady 63 to 65 mph and stay in a lane if there are multiple lanes that are traveling at that speed or close to it. I will drive faster in traffic or to pass but I won't sustain a speed over the limit just so I can make way for others who like to. I have and do use pullouts. I have driven OTR and dragged skateboards, tankers and dry van and when I did I drove as safe as I could. Did I speed?
Of course. No lying on this but only one speeding violation in close to sixty years.

And here is a piece of advise that an old double-clutcher gave me. If you can't be on time be early.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
This is from a Texas excerpt.

(a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:

(1) to stop, stand, or park;

(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;

(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;

(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;

(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;

(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device;  or

(7) to avoid a collision.
I stand corrected. I was always taught it was illegal to drive on the shoulder. But I do stand by the dangerous part of my statement.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #40

OR has a lot of 2 lanes hwy. miles that have 65 and 70 mph speed limits. Law says if traffic can't pass and you are holding up vehicle(s) you must use the first safe turnout. No number of vehicles or distance. We have a lot of winding mountain, canyon hwys. where RV and truck drivers can not maintain speeds that others can. The dunder heads who hold up traffic, then speed up at the first straight stretch making it difficult for others to pass were the first ones I would cite. Those who didn't use a safe turnout usually sniveled a lot while passing cars honked approval for stopping the inconsiderate jerks. Many truck drivers and RV herders would pull over as courtesy and the statutes require. Canadian $ spent as well as US currency in our court system. Gravelrider has a healthy perspective. I'm retired, have time, will not get a citation for someone I don't know, and don't want to be the reason someone else would do something stupid. Over a 28 yr. period these were some of the most meaningful stops I made. Be safe.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote