Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Few, if any, laws would agree with you. You could certainly make that argument, but you'd likely lose it. The laws do not make exceptions for going the speed limit. Move right unless you're passing. Period.

If you want to read more about this and why your conventional wisdom is not shared by the states or LEOs, read above where I posted more information.
The law you provided is a left lane law, to my understanding no on is advocating sitting in the left lane with an RV, they are solely discussing whether someone in an RV needs to pull over on a 2 lane road (one lane for each direction) if they are doing the speed limit or if certain number of cars builds up behind them.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
DRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #122

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
It's funny how, in this thread, "being considerate" is defined as "You need to change your behavior so that I don't have to change mine".
X2
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I would say that the Trooper uses common sense. It is not uncommon during camping/fishing season here in Alaska to find long lines of traffic. Our camping season is relatively short as compared to the lower 48. I have seen traffic bumper to bumper from Anchorage down to the Kenai on the Seward & Sterling highways in summer months. Many places have ongoing road construction and you are forced to slow down, and the traffic backs up. The Troopers understand this. I don't know of anyone who has received a ticket for holding-up 5 or more vehicles on a highway, but I know many that have received tickets for speeding. Here is a common occurrence in Alaska:
Years ago when I traveled to AK on business I was told that AK only had two seasons. Winter and Highway Construction. Didn't take long to realize how true.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
You live in a different world than me. Around here, there are many, many times where cars are stacked up behind people going under the speed limit ... and it's definitely not restricted to just RVs and big rigs. Few people are doing 10-20 mph over the speed limit where I live (or have ever lived). 5-10 is much more common.

Single lane (in each direction) travel is pretty clear: move over when safe.

Multiple lane (in each direction) is also pretty clear: stay right unless you're passing. Here is a collection of "Stay Right" laws compiled by MIT with links. A lot of this is summarized well in the Wikipedia page about lane travel.

Finally, here is a good infographic:

There are two keys here to remember:
  1. Your speed doesn't matter. 5 mph under, exactly the speed limit, 5 mph over, etc. Irrelevant. If you're not actively passing someone, move right. Period. This is the same for semis, RVs, passenger cars, horse and buggy, etc.
  2. What the other guy does is not your concern. You're not moving over "to let others speed." Don't worry about the others. Worry about yourself. The law dictates you move over, so move over. What "the others" do isn't your concern. You are not endowed with the responsibilty or authority to prevent what you may perceive to be their bad behavior. If you want to to that, get a job in law enforcement.
For those in the "I'm not moving over if I'm doing the speed limit" camp, just be aware that the law doesn't agree with you. This Colorado State brochure does a good job of explaining how these Move Right laws help balance reasonable speed with traffic flow.

South Dakota is the only state that, in contradiction to the federal Uniform Vehicle Code, allows people to travel in whatever lane at whatever speed. Seems like a lot of you would be happier driving in SD.
Late Wife and I were driving across SD one ye ar and when leaving Rapid City and older woman pulled on the freeway and proceed to drive right down the line dividing both lanes as if she was using her hood ornament as a sighting device.

Continued like this for 10 miles or so. Apperently she interpreted the "either lane" to mean both at the same time was OK too[emoji15][emoji15]

Old 10-28-2020, 10:26 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I would argue that traveling the speed limit, aka the fastest legal speed for the road, I am not driving slowly and am under no obligation to pull over.
In Alaska you are required to pull over if you have five or more vehicles behind you. There is no exception in the statute that excuses you if you're doing the speed limit.

Alaska Statutes 2019

[IMG][/IMG]
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
In Alaska you are required to pull over if you have five or more vehicles behind you. There is no exception in the statute that excuses you if you're doing the speed limit.

Alaska Statutes 2019

[IMG][/IMG]

So if I pull over and let 5 cars pass and pull out after the 5th and get behind him does the 1st car now have the pull over? Sounds like this could go on for many miles.
Eventually I’ll be first again if everyone follows this rule, when does it stop?? 🤣
Old 10-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
So if I pull over and let 5 cars pass and pull out after the 5th and get behind him does the 1st car now have the pull over? Sounds like this could go on for many miles.
Eventually I’ll be first again if everyone follows this rule, when does it stop?? [emoji1787]
Now that's funny, that right there
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:08 AM   #128

Quote:
Speeders think they are being safe while those of us who follow speed limits are the problem. Unfortunately, injuring themselves or someone else is the only way they will realize just how dangerous their driving habits are.
It's because it's so dangerous to speed (not!) that Colorado DOT constantly monitors speeds on key highways and RAISES speed limits when appropriate. Seen it on both 2 lane roads and interstates around Colorado Springs. Speed limit on I25 used to be 55 through Colorado Springs and 65-75 outside. Now 65 through the city and 75 outside - and the 75 is only because of the state legislature not raising the higher limit. 2 lane roads have gone from 55 to anywhere between 60 and 70 outside of town, depending on circumstances. And because a lot of RVs go 65 or less regardless, they now cause backups on 2 lane roads, just like in Alaska.

I now make sure every trailer tire I have is speed rated for 75+ (even on U-Haul rentals) so I don't become a traffic nuisance.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #129
Insert witty title here

It wont be a traffic nuisance at all when they have to close down part or all of the highway to clean up the wreck caused by unsafe drivers such as yourself.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #130

This is a very interesting map.

I drive (without an RV) close to 300 miles of I-95 in the Mid-Atlantic region — 150 north, then 150 south just about once every week of the year, so I see a lot of drivers from most of those states every time I travel. I see mostly, in order, Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia, New York, Pennsylvania and Delaware drivers along my way, and I can genuinely generalize/evaluate the order in which people from these different states have no clue of how to use the lanes. The order, from worst to best is Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, New York, Virginia, Pennsylvania. For the most part, drivers from Pennsylvania seem to be the best at driving, in general, and they seem to be continually cognizant of what’s going on around and behind them and very rarely get in the way. Maryland and New Jersey drivers are the antithesis of Pennsylvania drivers and almost always seem to be the cause of the large blocks of backed-up traffic I fight my way to get through along the way.

Those driving or pulling RVs on I-95 on this same stretch are a completely different story. This year is different from years before because I think there are a lot more people out there who have never driven or pulled an RV before this year. Before, RVs generally weren’t a problem and most would stick to the far-right or next lane over — even those from Maryland, but not New Jersey. This year, RVs are a huge problem on I-95 — they are often just cruising along in the passing lanes with no thought to what is behind them. The absolute worst RVers that I see on I-95 are from New Jersey, and the best, most considerate RVers all seem to be from Pennsylvania, Florida, the Midwest and western states, sans California. Most of these RVers really have a grasp on how to drive with consideration for others on the road. It’s really a shame to see so many RVers on the road who just don’t care about everybody else. It didn’t used to be like this, but now I cringe almost every time I see an RV up ahead of me.

Bruce
Old 10-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #131

Quote:
It wont be a traffic nuisance at all when they have to close down part or all of the highway to clean up the wreck caused by unsafe drivers such as yourself.
Good to know I'm an unsafe driver because I don't agree with you.

Speed limits are mostly (but not completely) arbitrary, and they are seldom set where they are due to safety. How many times have you petitioned for a LOWER speed limit in your neighborhood because of the kids playing, and had it denied (I've done it 3 times)? Excuses given: law doesn't allow lower than 25 or 30, keep your kids off the roads but no we're not putting in sidewalks, and we don't have the resources to enforce it if we did lower it.

Speed limits on the faster highways are driven by federal "guidelines". You lose federal highway funding if you violate the guidelines without a thorough study documenting your case for higher limits. Example of federal guideline - interstates have to exits 2+ miles apart to have a 75mph speed limit. Less than 1 mile apart, and you have to drop from 65 to 55.

Is there some safety thinking there? Yes, but distance between exits should not be the only criteria for setting speed limits. Design of exit and on ramps, and the amount of traffic to/from a specific exit are equally important, but are not part of the federal one-size-fits-all criteria for speed limits.

Back to my hole. I have camping to do. Tired of arguing for personal responsibility and courtesy instead of a nanny government.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #132

Quote:
What part of his post caused you to label him an unsafe driver? Was it him making sure he has tires capable of going the legal speed limit? Or is it simply that you two share different viewpoints and it's easier to hurl personal insults than to have a rational discussion?
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
...Tired of arguing for personal responsibility and courtesy instead of a nanny government....
Yeah, that "personal responsibility" thing is working so well vis-à-vis masks, isn't it?

What do you want to do? Remove speed limits and trust that your fellow drivers will be responsible?

Good grief, man.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:46 AM   #134

The saying “My way or the highway” seems to be morphing into “My way on the highway”. I enjoy opportunities to be courteous and/or helpful and I will continue to do so regardless of those who choose a different view. A happy camper.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
Yeah, that "personal responsibility" thing is working so well vis-à-vis masks, isn't it?

What do you want to do? Remove speed limits and trust that your fellow drivers will be responsible?

Good grief, man.
It seems to work quite well in Germany. They have extraordinarily safe highways, yet vast stretches without any speed limit. When I was living there with the army about twenty years ago the biggest takeaway was how courteous the drivers were. There was no such thing as camping out in the left lane, and on the off chance that you did find one, it was nearly universally a US soldier/dependent (as per their license plates). On the back roads, people waved you past and/or pulled off. They have very polite and courteous road manners, drive fast, and yet have low accident rates. Go figure.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #136

I've stated an opinion on this subject already but Gravelriders post reminded me of a laugh when the DW and I were traveling in Germany many years ago on the Autobahn and she mentioned to me that "the city of Ausfahrt must be quite large because we just passed their sign again". I tried not to laugh when I explained that ausfahrt means exit in German.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Eventually I’ll be first again if everyone follows this rule, when does it stop?? ��
Those five vehicles behind you are stuck there because you're going too slow. Once you let them by you'll never catch up to them until the next slowpoke that's holding up traffic. So you'll never see that scenario play out.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #138
Just as confused as you

People are generally safe drivers until something bad happens, at that point being a safe driver is moot. If everyone was truly a safe driver there wouldn't be any accidents, nor road rage. The word "accident" means something happened beyond ones ability to control the situation. Which brings us to the concept that you as a driver must have control of your vehicle at all times.

Just trying to defuse the "your a bad driver, no, your a bad driver" I have noticed a couple of times in this thread.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #139

What a stupid thread.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
What a stupid thread.
Kind of fits in with the whole year of 2020.