Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2020, 11:08 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Just to toss in a new twist, what do you do with the drivers that seem to like following you even if you give them every opportunity to pass?

It's not unusual for me to look in the mirrors and see a couple or three cars behind me on 2-lane roads. When I see that the center lane marker has changed to allow for passing I'll move as far to the right as possible (sometimes ride the rumble strip our state loves to put on the RH side of the traffic lane) and make sure I'm not speeding up like on downhill stretches. All too often the cars or trucks following won't pass and just hang back there. Add a few more "nervous nellies" and suddenly YOU are the one that is eligible for the ticket.

I also see this regularly on 4 lane highways where there's a whole lane to the Left for passing yet I end up with a long line of followers in the RH lane where I prefer to cruise at the posted speed.

Some folks do the same thing to me; I figure they feel safe behind a safe driver - kinda like the convoys you see on long stretches of highway
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #162

It’s great driving behind other people when driving in areas for the first time.
People need to slow down and enjoy the ride.
Spoke with a county engineer a week ago, he said if the road has no speed limit sign the speed limit is 50 mph. Wonder if the is the same in other states?

NJ just installed some digital signs on one of our highways tell everyone to follow the posted speed limit or tickets would be max amounts. Also digital signs saying high crash area , I think it would be Safer for people to follow and obey the speed limit laws.
My taxes might be cheaper also.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
It’s great driving behind other people when driving in areas for the first time.
People need to slow down and enjoy the ride.
Spoke with a county engineer a week ago, he said if the road has no speed limit sign the speed limit is 50 mph. Wonder if the is the same in other states?

NJ just installed some digital signs on one of our highways tell everyone to follow the posted speed limit or tickets would be max amounts. Also digital signs saying high crash area , I think it would be Safer for people to follow and obey the speed limit laws.
My taxes might be cheaper also.
WA State has "Default Speed Limits" for roads and Streets based on the type. State Highway, County Road, City Street (arterials) or Residential Streets.

I kind of like my Volt's built in system. My instrument cluster shows the speed limit where I am that comes in via gps. I use WAZE for navigation and road conditions and it too shows the speed limit.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
WA State has "Default Speed Limits" for roads and Streets based on the type. State Highway, County Road, City Street (arterials) or Residential Streets.

I kind of like my Volt's built in system. My instrument cluster shows the speed limit where I am that comes in via gps. I use WAZE for navigation and road conditions and it too shows the speed limit.

Both my car and truck show the speed but we noticed on this last trip the truck showed a faster speed then what the signs showed.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #165

God do I hate when people follow me instead of just going their own speed (on multi-lane roads). If you're following me, it means you had to be going faster than I was before you came up behind me. Just continue your same speed and go past me. Sheesh.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
God do I hate when people follow me instead of just going their own speed (on multi-lane roads). If you're following me, it means you had to be going faster than I was before you came up behind me. Just continue your same speed and go past me. Sheesh.
To me that's almost as annoying as those that do pass me and then slow down to about 5 mph slower than I was going

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #167

Don't know what your signs say MAX SPEED (rarely if ever have have I seen a MIN SPEED) maybe in southern Ontario - but in Canada it says xzy kph MAX, so if it's (typically) 90 kph - I do 90, if its 100 kph I do 100 and if its 110 kph - I do 104 (max safe speed on ST tires). Go around when safe if you don't like my rate of speed.

Dangerous driving to arrive 5 min sooner than me, is what you get for being an idiot.

SORRY / NOT SORRY met many, many, way to many - idiots in my 34 1/4 years as a medic. As the saying goes. You can medicate crazy - but you can't fix stupid.
X_Medic 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Both my car and truck show the speed but we noticed on this last trip the truck showed a faster speed then what the signs showed.
Yep, we have noticed this also. Same thing with all the map apps. Usually the speed limit is correct, but it is incorrect enough for me not to trust it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Medic 73 View Post
Don't know what your signs say MAX SPEED (rarely if ever have have I seen a MIN SPEED) maybe in southern Ontario - but in Canada it says xzy kph MAX, so if it's (typically) 90 kph - I do 90, if its 100 kph I do 100 and if its 110 kph - I do 104 (max safe speed on ST tires). Go around when safe if you don't like my rate of speed.

Dangerous driving to arrive 5 min sooner than me, is what you get for being an idiot.

SORRY / NOT SORRY met many, many, way to many - idiots in my 34 1/4 years as a medic. As the saying goes. You can medicate crazy - but you can't fix stupid.
Most ST tires have a higher speed rating than that. My Goodyear Endurance tires are rated for 87 mph, which is 140 kph.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #170

California has a few laws related to speed and impeding traffic and how to deal with it

Riding the shoulder to help someone pass:

Quote:
ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as to impede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily when in a condition permitting safe operation.
Going less than the speed limit because of a grade (or you just feel anything faster is unsafe)

Quote:
ARTICLE 2. Other Speed Laws [22400 - 22413] ( Article 2 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.
Now, is normal movement necessarily reasonable movement when it comes to exceeding the speed limit? If everyone but you is doing 75 in a 65, is that still reasonable since it is violating the posted limit? But if everyone is doing it, does that not make it reasonable????
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #171

I have a Haloview system where I utilize two additional cameras on the sides of my travel trailer in addition to the upper rear observation camera. The rear observation camera is just that. It only shows from the bumper to about 15 feet behind me. The side observation cameras are mounted so the drivers side camera is at the rear of the trailer. The passenger side camera is mounted so that you can see the entire side with both doors and step systems. This minting allows me to see if there is a line building behind me and allows for me to pull over safely.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucherk View Post
As I travel down the road I sometimes see long lines of vehicles backed up behind slow moving RV or TT. My question is how many people do you let behind you in a line before you pull over?

I generally travel at a peak speed of 63 mph as that seems to be my sweet spot for fuel mileage. So when you have the following situations how many vehicles to you stack up behind you?

1. When you are going below the posted speed limit? (For me it's 4)
2. When you are going the posted speed limit? (For me it's 4)
3. When exceeding the speed limit? (I don't worry. We're all breaking the law :-)

Out west there are states with up to 80 mph limits on the freeways and 65 on the two lanes so it can become an issue. Thanks for your input!
Here in Michigan the posted speed on the E-ways outside of the cities is 75 but the minimum is 45 so you will be legal between 45 and 75 no matter what others think. But in bad weather these speeds go down drastically and is usually up to the driver.
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
^^^^We do this when a good turnout lane is available. Unfortunately, there are places where the turnouts are in very poor condition and pulling into the turnout would cause damage to the rig or possible loss of control of the rig. We pass those up and look for a good turnout.
There are places in the west where the shoulder is paved and basically an unmarked second lane, but it's risky and possibly illegal. If the lane is paved or our lane is wide, we'll pull as far right as possible to give the vehicles behind us enough visibility to determine if it's safe to pass.
I also try to just pull as far right as possible to give them a good view. Trouble is, looks like 80% of the drivers don’t know how to pass.

Another problem with the wide shoulder or breakdown lane is they accumulate trash and pose a tire hazard.
(formerly 2016 Georgetown 378XLF
Amateur Radio KA5GIL vhf/uhfonboard
CaptainJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Citation, please.

-- Chuck
Washington is the same.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Citation, please.

-- Chuck
Washington: RCW 46.61.427
Slow-moving vehicle to pull off roadway.
On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow moving vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in a line, shall turn off the roadway wherever sufficient area for a safe turn-out exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed. As used in this section a slow moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #176
Multi-Slacker

My wife is the driver and pills over, if she can when holding up even 1 vehicle. A little courtesy adds to one's good Sharma. When I was younger, I used to complain that a journey of 1000 hours begins behind an RV.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:22 PM   #177

X 2!! Well said
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
If I'm on a two lane road, I'll pull over or slow down and wave cars past me, if I've got even one or two cars behind me, regardless of whether I'm going under, at, or over the speed limit. I absolutely can't stand slow vehicles that slow down those around them without a care in the world about it. I would never advocate going at a faster speed than is safe to do or to pull over where it is unsafe to do so, but if there are safe appropriately sized turnouts available and cars are behind you, do the courteous thing and let them pass, even if you think the speed you are going is appropriate. If for no other reason, a line of frustrated drivers bunched up behind you is dangerous for all involved, yourself included. I can control how I react to situations ahead of me. I have little to no control on how those behind me react to me. I'm much happier and safer without cars following behind me.

Let them go around you, even if you are going at or over the speed limit. If you feel it is safe to go at the speed limit in a big RV, chances are it is plenty safe for the cars and passenger trucks behind you to go over the speed limit. Don't be the aggravating moving speed limit enforcer that creates dangerous frustrated drivers intent on getting past you.

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:08 AM   #178
Senior Gold Member

Travelling on a 2 lane highway without passing lanes is the worst. I have traveled at numerous speeds including 70 mph and regardless of your speed there are people who want to pass. The longer you are the worse it gets as people underestimate your length and speeds. There is no formula except to say you have be aware of people in front and behind you and be prepared to hit the throttle or brakes depending on what the situation is.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #179

Unless its a law I would never pull over so long as I'm in a non-passing lane and going the speed limit.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
Travelling on a 2 lane highway without passing lanes is the worst. I have traveled at numerous speeds including 70 mph and regardless of your speed there are people who want to pass. The longer you are the worse it gets as people underestimate your length and speeds. There is no formula except to say you have be aware of people in front and behind you and be prepared to hit the throttle or brakes depending on what the situation is.
At some reasonable point its simply their problem, not yours.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote