Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM796 View Post
We have not been fortunate enough to make it out west yet so I want make sure I understand. It is illegal to have 5 cars behind you when traveling the posted speed limit. So you must pull over to allow them passed so they can go above the posted speed limit. If that is the case can someone give me the meaning of the signs with the big numbers posted on it?
Where is the "Like" button! .......
Old 10-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #42

Hmm...

I usually find myself being held up.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #43
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
There's the good-natured community-minded spirit. F 'em as long as I'm happy.
If I am doing 65 in a 65 mile an hour zone I’m not gonna prull off the side of the road. There is no reason to. If I am doing 55 in a 65 Find a safe place to move over. It has nothing to do with being happy. It has everything to do with obeying traffic laws.Apparently, you are another one who believes that laws are just suggestions.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #44

Back up

Short story. A two lane toad I travel a lot has mostly no passing zones. Two lane, 55mph. I came up on a line of cars doing 15-20 mph with cars starting to line up behind them. No one would pass. After 4-6 miles of this patience is in short supply
At last the ring leader turns off. I see a VERY OLD gentleman turning off and two cars behond him is a long line of cars, me included. Directly behind him was a Sheriffs car. I blew the horn and went on. I wanted to ask the deputy why he didn’t pull the old man over to do a wellness check do the rest of us could go about our business. God I hate slow cars (10-15 mph) below he speed limit. Farm equipment and disabled vehicles excluded.
Safe travels and stay out of my lane!! 😃😂
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
Posted speed limits are there for a reason. They’re not there for a suggestion. If I’m going to speed limit I don’t pull over. Why should I? I’m going to maximal speed allowed by law if I’m going to slow for you when I’m doing the speed limit you find another route.
It's "all about you'. Running into more and more folks like that.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
Don't like people obeying the law? ......Running into more and more folks like that
Old 10-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #47

Unless I'm on some hilly winding road where passing is nearly impossible I don't pull over. People will just have to wait.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
You mean folks who think they shouldn't break the law?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #49

Quote:
If I am doing 65 in a 65 mile an hour zone I’m not gonna prull off the side of the road. There is no reason to. If I am doing 55 in a 65 Find a safe place to move over. It has nothing to do with being happy. It has everything to do with obeying traffic laws.Apparently, you are another one who believes that laws are just suggestions.
Yes there is. To let people by. To be courteous. It's no secret that 99% of the time you get 5 mph over the posted speed limit, and that's usually the going speed, sometimes more depending on where you are. If you are creating a hazardous situation behind you (and cars bunched up and annoyed behind you absolutely is a hazardous situation), you have a moral obligation to pull over and let them by if safe to do so.

You aren't a police officer (well maybe you are, I don't know you, but you're not on duty in your rig) and your job isn't to enforce the speed limits. If others want to go faster than you, just let the by. Create a positive environment on the road, not a negative one that leads to frustration and road rage. There are a lot of crazy people on the road. Don't give them a reason to target you.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Yes there is. To let people by. To be courteous. It's no secret that 99% of the time you get 5 mph over the posted speed limit, and that's usually the going speed, sometimes more depending on where you are. If you are creating a hazardous situation behind you (and cars bunched up and annoyed behind you absolutely is a hazardous situation), you have a moral obligation to pull over and let them by if safe to do so.

You aren't a police officer (well maybe you are, I don't know you, but you're not on duty in your rig) and your job isn't to enforce the speed limits. If others want to go faster than you, just let the by. Create a positive environment on the road, not a negative one that leads to frustration and road rage. There are a lot of crazy people on the road. Don't give them a reason to target you.
Ya lost me at 'moral obligation'. The rest of your argument doesn't make much more sense either. But everyone is different
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #51

Never run across this. Does this apply to vehicles doing or exceeding the speed limit and consequently delaying traffic? I wish it applied to those dogging along in the left doing the speed limit on the interstates!

-- Chuck
Old 10-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Ya lost me at 'moral obligation'. The rest of your argument doesn't make much more sense either. But everyone is different
Don't confuse not making sense with failing to understand. It makes plenty of sense, even if you can't understand it.

Moral obligation: A duty which one owes, and which he ought to perform, but which he is not legally bound to fulfill.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:00 PM   #53

Quote:
Don't confuse not making sense with failing to understand. It makes plenty of sense, even if you can't understand it.

Moral obligation: A duty which one owes, and which he ought to perform, but which he is not legally bound to fulfill.
I see what you did there. Even someone as slow as myself understands the phrase, but questions its application to the subject at hand......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #54

In Montana the speed limit on a two lane road is 70 unless otherwise posted. You are also allowed to exceed the posted speed limit on a 2 lane road by 10mph when passing. Holding up more than 5 vehicles is illegal.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Don't like people obeying the law? ......Running into more and more folks like that

LOL !!! People
Old 10-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #56

Quote:

Does the speed limit sign have small print saying it’s ok to go 5 mph faster????
Old 10-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Citation, please.

-- Chuck
Signs all along the highways. Just read them.

Same law here in WA on 2-lanes. Usually a sign advisins "Slow Vehicle Turnout Ahead" followed by "Slow Vehicles Must Use Turnout for 5 or more vehicles behind".

As for pulling over on the shoulder if no turnouts? Only if paved and at least 12' wide.

Wait until you're driving in farm country and the tractors speed down the highway at 20 mph with 12-14' wide implements behind.[emoji15]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #58

I am generally always doing the speed limit or up to 5 mph over. So I do not worry about what is behind me much. If I am on a 2 lane divided highway I will pull off if it is convenient and safe.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
Just to throw a wrinkle in to this conversation...in California, isn't the speed limit for vehicles towing trailers 55 mph? That means that you may be legally restricted from going the same speed as "normal" vehicles, rendering the "I'm going the speed limit" argument moot (unless all two-lane roads in CA are 55 mph or less...I really don't know).

Edit to add: [Regarding the mod's edit to my post...hey, I was just responding to the reference in post #26 lol]
Most states that post a lower truck speed also consider that speed to be followed when towing------- ANYTHING. TT'S, Utility trailers, 5-ers, and even Toads.

55 in CA, 60 here in WA.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #60

Quote:
I've always said that speed limit signs would have more meaning if the basic fine for speeding started at $1,000 and there was no "speed allowance" allowed officers.

Always puzzled me when I read how many, if not all, officers don't stop cars going less than 10 mph over a speed clearly posted as the LIMIT.

The PROPER safe speed should be posted and enforced.