Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #61

In Pa. we had a 2 lane highway with 45 mph signs and 10 mph for trucks.
Nothing about pulling over or spaces to accommodate pulling over.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I've always said that speed limit signs would have more meaning if the basic fine for speeding started at $1,000 and there was no "speed allowance" allowed officers.

Always puzzled me when I read how many, if not all, officers don't stop cars going less than 10 mph over a speed clearly posted as the LIMIT.

The PROPER safe speed should be posted and enforced.
Yup! ......I could be wrong, but I believe the posted "Speed Limit" refers to the UPPER limit......again, I could be wrong......
Old 10-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #63

Titan mike correct,in Washington ANY vehicle over 10.000 lbs must obey truck speed limit.this include ALL vehicles in combination. Rcw 46.61.410. IE suv pulling boat/ tent trailer ect . (This providing I am reading this right )
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #64

In Colorado, if I'm "touristing" and looking at the sites and driving slow, I do pull over whenever there is somebody sitting on my tail (something I really learned to do in Alaska).

If I'm towing the A-frame, and don't wish to drive as fast as the prevailing traffic, I do pull over whenever there is somebody sitting on my tail.

If I'm driving the prevailing speed (not necessarily the speed limit), I don't worry about it.

I'm a big believer in driving the prevailing speed is a lot safer for all than blindly following the speed limit. On multi-lane roads, I like to get behind somebody who is going the speed I like, and staying a safe distance behind.

In Colorado (and Texas in my experience), the posted speed limit is seldom a "good suggestion". In good weather and on straight roads, the speed limit is slower than prevailing traffic, making it unsafe to follow the speed limit if there is significant traffic. In bad weather or on curvy roads, the speed limit is too fast for safety, as the count of "ditch divers" and decorated crosses along the roadside prove. "Ditch diving" is a Colorado Winter Olympic sport, with many participants going for extra points for out-of-control crossing lanes of opposing traffic, or performing roll overs.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #65

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I have the same thoughts Cycling and RVing - Why would I want someone impatient and angry behind me? I will take the first safe and convenient turnout whenever possible. It does not matter if I am doing 10 over or 10 under the speed limit, I am not out to control others.
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
I have the same thoughts Cycling and RVing - Why would I want someone impatient and angry behind me? I will take the first safe and convenient turnout whenever possible. It does not matter if I am doing 10 over or 10 under the speed limit, I am not out to control others.
You really think not pulling over for a tailgater is 'controlling others'? So if they instill a need in you to feel like you need to pull over so they can pass, are they controlling you?
I'm all about being courteous to fellow drivers, if it is safe and easy for me to accomplish. But I also expect the same from them.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #67

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
How many cars do you stack up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
You really think not pulling over for a tailgater is 'controlling others'? So if they instill a need in you to feel like you need to pull over so they can pass, are they controlling you?

I'm all about being courteous to fellow drivers, if it is safe and easy for me to accomplish. But I also expect the same from them.

I am not sure where you are coming from and why you sound angry...

I will do my best to let someone pass whenever I can. If someone has a problem with that, I am guessing they need to try and control others (a sad state).

I spent time driving in Germany where impeding traffic was a MAJOR offense on the autobahn. In Michigan impeding traffic is illegal regardless of how fast you are driving.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
I am not sure where you are coming from and why you sound angry...

I will do my best to let someone pass whenever I can. If someone has a problem with that, I am guessing they need to try and control others (a sad state).
Ah, there it is again. So you assume those who don't go out of their way to pull over have a need to control others? Nope, not angry, but I can argue bad assumptions all day
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #69

X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
There are plenty of 2 lane highways with 65 speed limit. Locals often want to go 10 over that.
I can't answer your question tho because I'm usually keeping up with traffic. In the western mountains I will duck into an overlook occasionally if I have a line behind me but again, I'm usually keeping up with the trucks and much of the traffic.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:18 PM   #70

I go the speed limit or a bit below when I am towing, no reason to speed. Heck, I barely go over the speed limit when I am not towing. If I am on two lane road I will pull over if it is safe. If others are in such a big hurry they should leave sooner.
ADKdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:59 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Does the speed limit sign have small print saying it’s ok to go 5 mph faster????
I'm not on the roads to enforce speed limits. I'm on the road to safely get from point A to point B. If that means pulling over so people who want to speed can get on their way, so be it. Better them ahead of me than behind me. If everyone were more courteous of those around them on the roads we'd have a lot safer roadways.

And don't make the mistake of confusing lawful with safe. There are plenty of places with posted limits far too high to safely travel and other areas with speed limits that could be safely doubled with most vehicles and drivers. There are also many areas, particularly on multi-lane interstates, where it is safer to keep up with the flow of traffic then to righteously follow the speed limit.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:05 PM   #72

I never thought I'd have to defend myself for pulling over to let others pass and promoting common courtesy on the road... Then I remembered how many times I've been stuck in a long line of cars behind a slow moving vehicle that didn't seem to care for miles and miles. I guess I'm not surprised...

For those of you who think this is okay, it's bad enough that you do it on the first place, please don't promote your behavior.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #73

In reading many of the posts I think people are failing recognize the difference between 2-lane highways, one lane in each direction, and 4 lane highways with two lanes in each directioin.

If one is driving in the RH lane on a 4 lane highway, and is doing at least the minimum speed (often 40 mph) then they should NOT have to pull over for anyone (except emergency vehicles).

2-lane highways come with backups and often few safe places to pull over or for others to pass. Just the nature of the beast.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:35 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM796 View Post
We have not been fortunate enough to make it out west yet so I want make sure I understand. It is illegal to have 5 cars behind you when traveling the posted speed limit. So you must pull over to allow them passed so they can go above the posted speed limit. If that is the case can someone give me the meaning of the signs with the big numbers posted on it?
Alaska State Troopers have made it clear. You pull over if five or more are backed up behind, regardless of your speed. "I was doing the speed limit" is not a valid excuse to get out of a ticket. Same goes for being in the fast lane. You move over to the middle or right lane if someone is behind you, even if you're doing the speed limit. Their position is you're not there to regulate traffic speed and you cannot impede traffic once you have five vehicles behind you. Personally, I use turnouts as a courtesy even if I don't have five vehicles behind me, because I've spent way too much time behind inconsiderate RVers who refuse to pull over, even when able to do so.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #75
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
For those of you who think this is okay, it's bad enough that you do it on the first place, please don't promote your behavior.

speed lim·it

/ˈspēd ˌlimit/

noun
noun: speed limit; plural noun: speed limits

the maximum speed at which a vehicle may legally travel on a particular stretch of road.

If I am traveling the posted speed limit then I will not mover over to let anyone pass anymore than I would hold open the door for a bank robber.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Alaska State Troopers have made it clear. You pull over if five or more are backed up behind, regardless of your speed. "I was doing the speed limit" is not a valid excuse to get out of a ticket. Same goes for being in the fast lane. You move over to the middle or right lane if someone is behind you, even if you're doing the speed limit. Their position is you're not there to regulate traffic speed and you cannot impede traffic once you have five vehicles behind you. Personally, I use turnouts as a courtesy even if I don't have five vehicles behind me, because I've spent way too much time behind inconsiderate RVers who refuse to pull over, even when able to do so.

How does the trooper determine if the line of vehicles is not a caravan or a group traveling together?

Sounds like your saying it’s ok to break the law and speed but it’s not ok to have people behind you?

I’d love to see this in court where a RVer is accused of doing the speed limit and a trooper complaining that there were speeder behind the RV that needed to break the speed limit. Something is wrong in Alaska if this is true.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #77

one of these posts seem to imply driving on the shoulder to let traffic pass. methinks that is not particularly legal either. You want to have care if you do that since that is where all the debris gathers, especially in the rumble strip divots. I fall into the let 'em by group but I'm unwilling to ruin my trailer tires picking up crap from the shoulder.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:32 AM   #78
Grammar Pedant

If you're going 63 because you prefer that speed (fuel economy, etc.), are under the speed limit, and are holding up cars, then that's not great. You're visiting your inconvenience onto others. You should speed up, own the inconvenience of going your non-preferred speed, go the speed limit, and don't force others to wait.

If you're going 63 because that's all your rig will do, then that, of course, is different. When it's safe, find a way to let cars by.

I haven't studied the laws, but when I learned to drive in WA back in the early 1990s, the driver handbook stated that the law/rule required to pull over was 10 mph under the speed limit and 10 cars. As others have said, it makes more sense to have both a speed and a car limit in there. Edit: I just looked up Colorado § 42-4-1103 and it is vague -- states no specific speed or specific number of cars held up.

For roads with 2 or more lanes in the same direction:
As for speed limit vs flow of traffic, they're not mutually exclusive violations. A person doing the speed limit while failing to yield (driving in the left lane, e.g.) can get cited for that reason ... and all the cars that pass him going over the speed limit can also get cited for speeding.

You cannot justify failing to yield just because you're going the posted speed limit ... or even 1 or 2 ticks above the posted speed limit. You must move right unless you're in the act of passing. Period. It's not your job, nor your right, to regulate the speed of others and you can get into trouble doing it. The "but I was going to the speed limit" won't actually be a successful defense to anything other than a speeding ticket.

I'll leave the moral obligations alone. But, the legal obligation is clear. On a road with 2 or more lanes in the same direction, you must move over if not passing. Your own speed limit isn't relevant to that legal obligation. If you're stubborn and obstinate and just park it in the left/middle lane ... you're breaking the law the same way as the person speeding and passing you on the right.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Yes there is. To let people by. To be courteous. It's no secret that 99% of the time you get 5 mph over the posted speed limit, and that's usually the going speed, sometimes more depending on where you are. If you are creating a hazardous situation behind you (and cars bunched up and annoyed behind you absolutely is a hazardous situation), you have a moral obligation to pull over and let them by if safe to do so.

You aren't a police officer (well maybe you are, I don't know you, but you're not on duty in your rig) and your job isn't to enforce the speed limits. If others want to go faster than you, just let the by. Create a positive environment on the road, not a negative one that leads to frustration and road rage. There are a lot of crazy people on the road. Don't give them a reason to target you.
Interesting that you talk about a moral obligation to facilitate lawbreaking.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #80

If I'm driving a passenger car or the RAM but not towing and doing a bit of sightseeing (i.e., not driving like the proverbial bat out of hell) I'll pull over where possible if I even impede a single vehicle. This sometimes means a quick move to a wide area/shoulder that may not have been obvious until maybe a few hundred feet away. That's usually doable in a single vehicle.

That is not so easy/safe when towing. My rule of thumb is to not take any chances if pulling the R-Pod and only pull over when it's absolutely safe to do so and I have enough lead time to assess whether the potential pullout is long enough, wide enough, and free of hazards and debris. Such pullouts may be few and far between.

I think this is a critical difference that must be considered when discussing this topic, and I wish that the bats-out-of-hell would realize this as well.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote