Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Those five vehicles behind you are stuck there because you're going too slow. Once you let them by you'll never catch up to them until the next slowpoke that's holding up traffic. So you'll never see that scenario play out.

Remember I was speeding which you claim is ok., so I would be on there bumper.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
So if I pull over and let 5 cars pass and pull out after the 5th and get behind him does the 1st car now have the pull over? Sounds like this could go on for many miles.
Eventually I’ll be first again if everyone follows this rule, when does it stop?? 🤣
Sounds like a Team Pursuit bicycle race where he leader drops to the rear of the line with each lap. I guess it stops when you get where you're going.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:12 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
It seems to work quite well in Germany. They have extraordinarily safe highways, yet vast stretches without any speed limit. When I was living there with the army about twenty years ago....
It's changed a lot. Went back to Germany last year for my Uncle's 90th birthday. Very few stretches have no speed limit any longer. Major stretches now with 120KM limit (72MPH).

Roads haven't changed. Laws have.

Mike
Old 10-29-2020, 10:05 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Remember I was speeding which you claim is ok., so I would be on there bumper.
Care to point out where I claimed speeding is OK?
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:16 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
What a stupid thread.
Yeah, and the drival continues on.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:27 AM   #146

Depends on their Attitude

No actually most states have a limit on how many you are supposed to stack up. I have trouble deciding weather to text somebody or keep count on how many are back there when towing(:>) I know it is unlawful to drive on the shoulder but, I try to put the right tires on the shoulder so they can see around me and that seems to cool their jets to know that I am trying to help them get by. I have seen people in west Texas drive for miles in curvy hilly highways driving 50 and the shoulder is wider than the driving lane. They are riding a long and don't what time it is. I say a cartoon the other day and a guy driving a MH going up a long hill had traffic stacked up behind him as far as the eye could and he is on the CB "This is Camper Dan on HWY ??? I got my cruise set on 56 and merci sakes alive I believe we got us a convoy 10-4?"
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:48 AM   #147

Well big guy road hog what do you do on a 2 lane road? Tons of 2 lane roads in Texas are 75MPH and I-10 west of San Antonio is 80 and 85 in spots. Those big Bull Wagons and chicken haulers will stretch out and run 90 and believe me they can mash all of the juice out of a pick-up pulling a camper. On I-10 they could blow you off the road w/o out touching your rig. When I see them coming I drop part of my rig on the shoulder to get away from slip stream turbulence behind them. Yes driving on the shoulder is dangerous and you should not do it unless you can see along ways. I drop the right wheels on a 4 lane road to get away from those trucks.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:55 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2002Wanderer View Post
I agree with Gravelrider: Pull over and let faster vehicles pass when ever safe, no minimum number required! Road Rage is too prevalent (and dangerous) these days to risk doing otherwise. (think about how you feel when trapped behind a long line of slow campers when driving your car). I also like the photo posted by SailorSam20500 showing a little humor to defuse frustration - I assume that SailorSam20500 will use those turnouts when available.
Yes you can become dead right from road rage. good point. If even they don't get road rage being up set will cloud their thinking process.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #149

Just to toss in a new twist, what do you do with the drivers that seem to like following you even if you give them every opportunity to pass?

It's not unusual for me to look in the mirrors and see a couple or three cars behind me on 2-lane roads. When I see that the center lane marker has changed to allow for passing I'll move as far to the right as possible (sometimes ride the rumble strip our state loves to put on the RH side of the traffic lane) and make sure I'm not speeding up like on downhill stretches. All too often the cars or trucks following won't pass and just hang back there. Add a few more "nervous nellies" and suddenly YOU are the one that is eligible for the ticket.

I also see this regularly on 4 lane highways where there's a whole lane to the Left for passing yet I end up with a long line of followers in the RH lane where I prefer to cruise at the posted speed.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Just to toss in a new twist, what do you do with the drivers that seem to like following you even if you give them every opportunity to pass?

It's not unusual for me to look in the mirrors and see a couple or three cars behind me on 2-lane roads. When I see that the center lane marker has changed to allow for passing I'll move as far to the right as possible (sometimes ride the rumble strip our state loves to put on the RH side of the traffic lane) and make sure I'm not speeding up like on downhill stretches. All too often the cars or trucks following won't pass and just hang back there. Add a few more "nervous nellies" and suddenly YOU are the one that is eligible for the ticket.

I also see this regularly on 4 lane highways where there's a whole lane to the Left for passing yet I end up with a long line of followers in the RH lane where I prefer to cruise at the posted speed.
I call them cling-ons (not to be confused with Klingons), or dingleberries. And it seems to happen often. Usually doesn't bother me at all, but if they stay annoyingly close to my bumper, I either slow down to entice them to pass, or pull off the next exit/pullout and wait awhile to ensure I am away from them.
I do the same for those annoying drivers who pass me, slow down so I pass them, over and over.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #151

Oh the testosterone is flowing in this thread! Back to your corners and enough of the name calling before a moderator decides we've gone too far off the rails and shuts down the conversation.

I learned to drive in California as a teen, but because my dad's job took us all over the SW and western states, (not to mention 21 years in the military with duty in 7 states and 5 countries) I learned quickly to be familiar with each country's/state's laws. I miss the days of buying a big Rand-McNally's and keeping an eye on the chart inside the cover that mentioned speed limits, seat belt usage, towing, chain requirements, etc. Finding the same information online can be so time-consuming. My point is not every state is the same, so check before you drive to make sure you are following the laws of the state you are driving through.

For the record, I am on the side of common courtesy. I will pull over when it is safe and not a moment before; safe being the key word. However, I wish more states would design and mark turnouts.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
Yeah, that "personal responsibility" thing is working so well vis-à-vis masks, isn't it?

What do you want to do? Remove speed limits and trust that your fellow drivers will be responsible?

That's essentially how the rural areas of the country drive. Montana is even more blatant about it.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #153

Removing all Speed Limits would certainly be the Dawinian approach. Unfortunately when an accident occurs often more than just the person driving end up paying the price.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #154
D W

Please! Someone end this madness...
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #155
Old Camping Squid

I don't worry about gas millage, I'm a little heavy footed. At speed limit or up to 5 mph over, I don't get cars stacked up behind me, if someone does get behind me, for very long, I will speed up a bit.
EZgo TXT and ClubCar Precedent golf carts
2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
U.S. Navy Veteran
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post

Please! Someone end this madness...
You do realize that the Camping Season is pretty much at an end in most of the country. Expect more like this until next spring

Think of it as a "Bad Movie". If you've seen it and didn't like it, don't go back again

Old 10-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #157

When multiple vehicles stack up, it is not always the direct fault of the first vehicle. Often it is the second or next vehicles that are actually causing the stackup. With the exception of mountain switchback areas, most 2- lane roads have enough safe opportunities for passing another vehicle. The problem comes when numbskulls bunch up and tailgate the first or next vehicles. If the second vehicle is afraid to pass and doesn’t leave room ahead of him for the next one to cut in, then those behind have to pass multiple vehicles at once, making it more dangerous. I have had vehicles follow so close behind me that I can’t see them in my mirrors. I have also seen vehicles pass from 3 vehicles behind because there was no space to cut in. If people just used common sense and courtesy, there would be far less frequent stacking.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:48 AM   #158

I read through close to 60 posts and had to quit. I do keep folks behind me in mind when I’m towing. And if I forget my wife reminds me. I’ve thought about putting a sign on the back of my trailer with my phone number saying I’d help them pass me. But not to worry. I’m not actually crazy enough to do that.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #159
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
I read through close to 60 posts and had to quit. I do keep folks behind me in mind when I’m towing. And if I forget my wife reminds me. I’ve thought about putting a sign on the back of my trailer with my phone number saying I’d help them pass me. But not to worry. I’m not actually crazy enough to do that.
Make the sign so you can change the phone number on the fly, then supply the local police department number for the area your driving through.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Make the sign so you can change the phone number on the fly, then supply the local police department number for the area your driving through.
Wait. I still have your number saved on my phone. I’ll use yours!
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote