Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #181

Depends on where your at! It’s not illegal in Texas or should I say parts of it unless law just changed. There are some democrats in Texas not meaning
Jboshell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #182

The shoulder is LEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
One thing to NOT do is move over and drive on the shoulder to let them pass, even if you slow down considerably. That is dangerous and illegal.
You are incorrect, in Texas at least:

Relevant sections in bold

"(a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:

(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device;  or
(7) to avoid a collision."

The unfortunate, overwhelming masses are misinformed about this and are the cause of much of the congested traffic.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucherk View Post
As I travel down the road I sometimes see long lines of vehicles backed up behind slow moving RV or TT. My question is how many people do you let behind you in a line before you pull over?

I generally travel at a peak speed of 63 mph as that seems to be my sweet spot for fuel mileage. So when you have the following situations how many vehicles to you stack up behind you?

1. When you are going below the posted speed limit? (For me it's 4)
2. When you are going the posted speed limit? (For me it's 4)
3. When exceeding the speed limit? (I don't worry. We're all breaking the law :-)

Out west there are states with up to 80 mph limits on the freeways and 65 on the two lanes so it can become an issue. Thanks for your input!
I never pull over to let traffic pass. The risk versus reward tells me not to do it. Pulling over increases the risk of tire damage, increases the risk of having an accident due to deceleration and then pulling back into traffic.
The added wear and tear on the vehicle brakes, engine and transmission isn’t with it either.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
California law requires you to use a turnout to let faster traffic pass when 5 or more vehicles stack up behind you.
IMO, 63 mph is pretty slow for a two lane highway and is a recipe for frustrated faster traffic if passing lanes are infrequent. I use turnouts in mountainous areas whenever possible.
Choosing to drive at or near posted speed limits should not be used to prevent others from exceeding it.
Same law here in Colorado, I have seen folks with 10 or more vehicles stuck behind some duffus acting like they are the only ones on the road, poking along at 30 or so with long lines of traffic behind them in the mountains and valley areas oblivious they are p%$#*@g people off. That's when it becomes dangerous. People passing on double yellow lines, passing 2,3, or more.
Cobraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #185

For me it depends on the situation. I don’t want to hold up traffic but I will only do something to help that traffic backup if I feel it is safe.

Luckily for me I don’t experience this alot.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #186

If I'm going the speed limit..........that's their problem. If going less than posted limit on 2 lane road after about 4, unless I have an easy place to pull over.
Rockwood 2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Alaska puts out there in black and white. So those laws do exist.

[IMG][/IMG]
Same in Colorado. If you want to sight see pull over and take your cell phone pics without blocking traffic
Cobraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I don’t understand what kind of road you’d be on where that many vehicles would stack up behind you.

If you’re driving at 63 mph (and that’s my sweet spot too) on a two lane highway, I’m betting the posted speed limit is probably NOT more than 60. If you’re on an interstate highway, they can and should go around you in the other lane regardless of the posted speed limit.
Kenandterry, two lane roads in TEXAS have speed limits as high as 75 with most two lane highways being 70. We have interstates hitting 80 and toll roads hitting 85. Heck if you run the speed limit you will most likely be holding up traffic
blasingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmwildcat View Post
i only worry about traffic behind me on a two lane. Around here, most two lanes are 65mph. If i'm going the speed limit, i don't care how many stack up behind me. If i'm going slower than the speed limit, i'll pull over if and when i find an easy, safe place to do so.
bingo! We have a winner.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #190
Washoe

Many states post "55mph when towing" This is not just for perceived safety but also so that following vehicles can pass quicker.
I pull over if I have alot of cars stacked up behind me, towing at 60 to 65.
Washoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #191

Double Nickels

Nevada nails it. The Owner's Manual for my Georgetown 280 DS clearly encourages limiting top speed to 55 and states that there is a 15% fuel savings by driving at 55 mph v. 65 mph.

As a youngster, I did an apprenticeship in auto mechanics at a dealership. They attached me to the "Unit Repair Room" where I was the guy taking the engines and transmissions out of all the vehicles when they needed an overhaul or major repair. When done, I put them back in and got the vehicle ready for delivery.

This experience drove home a lesson about how one mountain pass can burn a valve; one missed oil change can score a cylinder; and running while overheating can burst a radiator and ruin a transmission.

I will always respect my equipment and yes, pull over to let the faster traffic pass.
Sonic Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post
Many states post "55mph when towing" This is not just for perceived safety but also so that following vehicles can pass quicker.
I've only seen that sign in California. Where else is this in effect?
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #193

In NM, you're required to pull over if you're in a no passing zone on a 2 lane road and 5 cars are backed up behind you. Just common courtesy. I'm always amazed at people who don't show courtesy on the roads. Lots of them live here in NM.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
In NM, you're required to pull over if you're in a no passing zone on a 2 lane road and 5 cars are backed up behind you. Just common courtesy. I'm always amazed at people who don't show courtesy on the roads. Lots of them live here in NM.
Actually they are all over, no more here than anywhere else
What I find interesting is most two lanes roads I travel have no shoulder or designated pull over sites. No way I'm pulling over until there is a crossroad or safe wide spot. I will try to let those in a hurry behind me know when it is safe for them to pass.
Most two lanes roads in mountainous areas have designated passing lanes on the uphill side every so often, which I use. But on flat roads that have no shoulder, where I'm going the speed limit, not happening.
And if you think that is not showing courtesy, you will just have to get over it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Actually they are all over, no more here than anywhere else
What I find interesting is most two lanes roads I travel have no shoulder or designated pull over sites. No way I'm pulling over until there is a crossroad or safe wide spot. I will try to let those in a hurry behind me know when it is safe for them to pass.
Most two lanes roads in mountainous areas have designated passing lanes on the uphill side every so often, which I use. But on flat roads that have no shoulder, where I'm going the speed limit, not happening.
And if you think that is not showing courtesy, you will just have to get over it.
I don't think anyone in this thread anywhere suggested pulling over where it is unsafe to do so. I'm a huge proponent of courtesy on the roads and pulling over or waving people past, but I would never pull off where it is unsafe to do so.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread anywhere suggested pulling over where it is unsafe to do so. I'm a huge proponent of courtesy on the roads and pulling over or waving people past, but I would never pull off where it is unsafe to do so.
I NEVER wave anyone to pass me or 'go ahead' because if a wreck happens because the other driver followed your directions .... YOU can be held 100% liable.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post
I have traved thru most states except some on the east coast and have never seen such a sign. What state or states are such signs posted?
Old 11-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
I have traved thru most states except some on the east coast and have never seen such a sign. What state or states are such signs posted?

Alabama Alaska and California all have a 55mph limit when towing
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #199

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Alabama Alaska and California all have a 55mph limit when towing
Washington and Oregon are both 60mph when towing.

(Well, Oregon is 60 for rural interstates and 55 for urban interstates)

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #200

Quote:
I NEVER wave anyone to pass me or 'go ahead' because if a wreck happens because the other driver followed your directions .... YOU can be held 100% liable.
Oh brother......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote