Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

How many of you knew that a "re-manufactured tag", means new?

I ordered a Dish receiver from Amazon advertised as new and this is what I got. Look closely, you will see it says "Remanufactured WGTC". I sent this email and received the following reply.

The "reman" sticker means nothing else but the receiver is assembled overseas and not locally here in Colorado. That doesn't mean that the box is not new , on the contrary.
We always encourage our costumers to let us know of any questions or concerns in our welcome e-mail, so if the equipment is defective we need to hear from you as soon as you receive the equipment.

Have a nice day, John-Digital Satellite Entertainment.

--- Original message ---

Order ID 110-8379719-0053064:
1 of DISH Network VIP211k HD Receiver [ASIN: B001D2XOS4]

------------- Begin message -------------

Your advertisement stated this was new. When I tried to activate it with Dish they asked me for the numbers from the bottom of the receiver. It was clearly marked "Re-manufactured in India". Not only is this false advertising but the receiver did not work. Many thanks to Dish Network who has stepped in and offered to resolve this issue.

No thanks to Digital Satellite Entertainment for false advertisement and selling me a defective re-manufactured product advertised as new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 021.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	30043  
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Should have read "like new" at best eh?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #3

That sux. Buying electronics and electrical products on Amazon or ebay can be risky. At least you got someone to talk to and got some resolution.

I have learned that there is a dark side to Amazon and that you have to be careful. If you buy something that is sold directly by Amazon (as opposed to one of their many vendors) you can get hosed. Often, even though an item is brand new, you don't get the original factory warranty because they did a buyout of some business going under or something like that. That's why sometimes their products are cheaper than than other online vendors. And if you try and complain to someone at Amazon, there is no phone number or email contact. And if you have to return something, you lose on the shipping cost and you only get a partial refund.

I just don't like shopping on Amazon much anymore and as much as I have come to dislike ebay, I'll shop there first now over Amazon. Or we'll buy directly from online vendors. The last time I went to buy 6 or so items from Amazon, at checkout, it showed that they wanted to add a $19 handling fee. Went elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #4

PayPal is the key to buying online.
No PayPal = No Sale to me.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

As on eBay, radically lower prices are reason to be wary. While there are "Good Deals" out there, you need to read all the text.

Have you contacted Amazon?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
As on eBay, radically lower prices are reason to be wary. While there are "Good Deals" out there, you need to read all the text.

Have you contacted Amazon?
When I was trying to set up for the first time I could not get the satellite software update or the check switch test to complete. Also I was only able to lock onto 119. I made several phone calls to dish network for assistance and the last tech I spoke with had me do a couple of tests and she determined the receiver was no good. I told her I bought it through Amazon and she told me I didn't kneed to worry. She said once I bought it, it was warranted by Dish and Dish would be sending me a new one at no charge with a shipping label to return the old one.

I had tried to order directly from Dish to start with but they could not ship a receiver to me. It had to be delivered and installed by their installers. I explained this to her and apparently once I have a receiver in my possession, Dish is allowed to ship a replacement. Also the contract the installers have with Dish prohibits them from just dropping off a receiver. They must install it, for which I'm sure I would incur an additional charge.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Just my opinion

We used to sell big time on eBay. Low prices means low margins, which could mean the seller is reluctant to exchange or refund because all profit would be lost. Be careful of that. We sold books, not electronics, but when a buyer would claim a damaged item, it was normally cheaper for us to just tell them to keep it & we'd just refund the purchase price. Of course, that would depend on the user feedback, etc. Quite often we'd request they send it back & 98% of the time, we'd never hear from them again.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2013 - days engaged in camping so for... (28)
normh915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

i wanted to purchase dish equipment for the rv and the 1st place i looked was Ebay and then Amazon. the more i looked at the equipment that i wanted on these sites,the more wary i became. finally found a site online that turned out to have a complete selection of satellite supplies and i was able to choose and purchase the equipment that i needed. the package that i purchased was the dish 1000-2 and a vip 222 dual tuner receiver. cost me $189.00 w/free shipping. you can also get online or phone technical help from this company if you have a question regarding equipment
Dishdepot.Com | DirecTV Satellite TV | Satellite Florida Receiver | Satellite Radio System | DirecTV Dishpro Plus | RV Motion Satellite Dish | TV Antenna Installations
Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I explained this to her and apparently once I have a receiver in my possession, Dish is allowed to ship a replacement. Also the contract the installers have with Dish prohibits them from just dropping off a receiver. They must install it, for which I'm sure I would incur an additional charge.
Good to know...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote