Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #1

How much above NADA is this worth?

The NADA average retail is $14,050. It is a 2014 model that has never been used. I would like to buy it but is it worth $1000 over? What say you forum members. Thanks
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #2

Maybe. That's really odd to find one that's never been used.

What's the model? What does a new one run?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #3

A brand new, 5yr old RV is called a wallflower by dealers.
It'll need tires, roof inspection, resealing and faded paint care.
The PDI should be especially thorough.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

It would depend on how it was stored and maintained. I would go to RV Wholesalers and quote a new unit like it. If you can't buy it at least 50% from new it would be a no go.

In the end it will totally be you and your families decision.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #5

And since no one bought in 2014, I am guessing something about it did not appeal to buyers. Floorplan fubar perhaps?
Old 08-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #6

Not worth over NADA at all

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #7

If it has never been titled is it still under warranty? "New" units can have lots of issues when first put in service.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #8

It is a Keystone Springdale 247. Here's the story. It is owned by an individual. A couple bought it new and went to use it for the first time at a campground close to their home when their diesel truck blew up. They had it towed to a storage facility where it set for a year. Apparently they were unable to get their truck repaired and during this time one of them became ill and they scrapped their camping plan entirely. The current owner had a storage unit at the same facility and noticed the camper stored there. He located the owners and purchased it from them with the intentions of traveling with his wife. He built a large shop with a 14' overhead door that he kept it in. Before they could use it his father-in-law became ill and they had to take care of him. The father-in-law passed away and by that time his own father had taken ill and they had to care for him until he passed. Now his wife is ill and he has decided to sell. Nothing has ever been used, the tags are still on the furniture etc.

I know it is worth more than average NADA just not sure how much more. I'm thinking $750-1000. Wondering what everyone here thinks.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #9

Once it is purchased it is not new and it does not have a warranty.
Sounds like a good deal but go over it carefully.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
Site Team

To me it's actually it's worth less than a unit that had been used a little.

There are most likely things wrong that would have been repaired under warranty that have never been found an fixed, so you'll have to find and fix those and you'll have to fix and/or replace the things upflyer mentioned as well as others.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #11

I'd go over it carefully but it looks like a winner to me.

I'd replace the tires for sure.. even if they look fine. Pay special attention to the roof and seals (caulking). My guess is some of it may need to be replaced.

I bought a (at the time) 7-year old camper and had to redo much of the sealants (it was also stored under a roof).
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
It is a Keystone Springdale 247. Here's the story. It is owned by an individual. A couple bought it new and went to use it for the first time at a campground close to their home when their diesel truck blew up. They had it towed to a storage facility where it set for a year. Apparently they were unable to get their truck repaired and during this time one of them became ill and they scrapped their camping plan entirely. The current owner had a storage unit at the same facility and noticed the camper stored there. He located the owners and purchased it from them with the intentions of traveling with his wife. He built a large shop with a 14' overhead door that he kept it in. Before they could use it his father-in-law became ill and they had to take care of him. The father-in-law passed away and by that time his own father had taken ill and they had to care for him until he passed. Now his wife is ill and he has decided to sell. Nothing has ever been used, the tags are still on the furniture etc.

I know it is worth more than average NADA just not sure how much more. I'm thinking $750-1000. Wondering what everyone here thinks.
Do you personally know this history? If not....well I guess you read it on the interweb so it has to be true! Me personally not buying the oh boo hoo sob story.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #13
Broken Toe

NADA is just a number. Pay what you think is fair and not a single cent more.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #14

Nothing over book. New tires - good not cheap tires- and a 90 day warranty to even bring it to book. Everything that needs done plus more for what you don’t know about. Mud daunted? Spiders in the vents or gas tubes? Leaks? 5 years old and none of the as delivered items fixed. About $1000 under book.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #15

Sounds like there’s a lot of illness and misfortune attached to it. Not sure I’d want all that bad mojo around me and my family!
FCFR3762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #16

2014 unused TT

My advice is to work a deal subject to your having a dealer survey the travel trailer from top to bottom and inside and outside. Wish I had done this before agreeing to purchase. May cost 3-500, but it will be worth it.
Good luck!
Frierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #17

Not so fast

You seem to already be willing to pay above the NADA average - which is at best a VERY rough idea as to 'worth'. Granted, there are few benchmarks, and it is worth whatever you will pay - but consider what the other posts here have suggested. The tires are 5 years or more old and must be replaced. Caulking, which the manufacturer suggests should be checked every 90 days, is also at least 5 years old. Original defects/warranty items (which may or may not exist) also have gone unresolved, etc. Hoses, wiring, etc. may deteriorate over 5 years of non-use. The trailer may be the greatest 'barn find' in the country, but you have to decide, after a thorough inspection, whether it is really in like new (but 5 years old and unused) condition. You might also check with your bank/financial institution to see what they think it is worth (whether or not you finance it, you'll get a hard-nosed idea of 'worth'), and then check with your insurance provider to see what they think. Good Luck and Best wishes in your decision - if it checks out, you've made a great find.
Andersen WDH
JROtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #18

Sitting idle is not good for stuff, like valves and pumps and other mechanical items..

Something near NADA.

I would offer a fair amount but, would expect it to be set up on a full service campsite to verify everything works.

Get a friend to help you do a PDI. One with a unit with lots of systems.

You will need tires. Probably batteries. Fridge work. Lowers price.

A/C will need work. These do not sit well.

I would suggest several thousand for all.

This is one of those gamble things. Sitting idle 5 years is not good.

Small fivers are supposedly easy to sell! Do not fool around.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #19

yes, the NADA is the NADA for a reason - and few if any 'reasons' change that, no matter how we emotionally 'feel' about it - it's a business decision... just ask Barney Fife how his 'almost new, hardly ever used, only driven to church and back' 1940's Ford turned out.

Never pay 'more' than what competent information tells you, and actually you should be wanting to pay LESS, as this is not from a dealer who 'knows' about RVs, but from folks who, while with good intentions, know very LITTLE about it! A five year old RV is a five year old RV, regardless of whether it was 'used' or not, though I can see your inherent reasoning for it.

Go in with an offer that is at least 10% less than what they are asking, and use the NADA guidelines as your backing, and then be willing to negotiate. Hurt feelings don't enter the equation, it's purely a business transaction, and they'll get a LOT more from you than a dealer would give them... it's a big bag of cash just sitting unused in a garage!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #20

If you decide to buy I suggest you get an extended maintenance contract. Talk with Jay at US Warranty (866) 233-9878 and get an estimate of what it would cost. Our 2095 Cardinal has been under contract since new. Very fair company to do business with. Last year I renewed for another 4 years, cost was $1,040.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote