Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Member
 
SkrapMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rocklin, CA.
Posts: 37
How much can you negotiate down a dealer

Looking to buy a new 2013 Charleston BH. Seems like alot of dealers are about the same price. I've talked the guys in Texas at MHSRV and they seem pretty fair. Question is whats the norm on how much you can talk these guys down? I've bought plenty of cars and always negotiated them down. But never a new RV. Their at $229 down from $324 MSRP. Which seems infated in this economy. Thanks.
SkrapMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,995
30% off MSRP seems pretty good in any economy.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Capt. Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Franklin County, MO
Posts: 2,628
I agree. I would have said start at 25% off and be happy with 20% +/- off MSRP, but you've already got that beat. We bought our first TT, with no trade-in, at 26% off MSRP.
__________________
Mike and Yvonne
and Sophie, the little white dog
2017 Columbus 320RSC
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
ďIt's not how old you are, it's how you are old.ĒJules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,995
The mark ups on RVs are much larger than automobiles.
25% off MSRP is about average for what you can expect to get.
30% is the mark of an expert negotiator.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Phat Phrog
 
RVChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 6,851
Wow what a gorgeous MH! I had to google it and the YouTube video was jaw dropping!! I agree that a 30% discount is great....especially this early in the season!

We purchased a 2012 XLR Thunderbolt 35x12 toy hauler in October and I was able to negotiate nearly 40% off. I am totally in love with the FR Georgetown and my dream is to one day own one!! When the day comes that we no longer ride our Harley Davidson....I plan to complete our camping experience with a Georgetown!! Or...whatever Class A was in the newest Transformers movie....was that a romantic looking Class A or what!

Please let us know how you do and by all means please let me live vicariously through your photos of the one you fall in love with!
__________________
Kenny n Karen
TV: 2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 LTZ - named Betty
RV: 2017 Columbus 366RL - named Karenís Camper
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Linnemj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Wow what a gorgeous MH! I had to google it and the YouTube video was jaw dropping!! I agree that a 30% discount is great....especially this early in the season!

We purchased a 2012 XLR Thunderbolt 35x12 toy hauler in October and I was able to negotiate nearly 40% off. I am totally in love with the FR Georgetown and my dream is to one day own one!! When the day comes that we no longer ride our Harley Davidson....I plan to complete our camping experience with a Georgetown!! Or...whatever Class A was in the newest Transformers movie....was that a romantic looking Class A or what!

Please let us know how you do and by all means please let me live vicariously through your photos of the one you fall in love with!
Since RV Chick likes it, I had to check it out. Very nice MH with all the bells and whistles. Saving an extra 5% = some cash on this one.

We love our XRL toy hauler and riding the motorcycles but we also are looking down the road when we are no longer able to ride. When we took the trailer in for service yesterday we looked at some nice fifth wheel units. Right now, we are enjoying life and appreciate our good health.
__________________
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR 29 MBV
2010 Dodge 2500 Cummings
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Member
 
SkrapMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rocklin, CA.
Posts: 37
Thanks all for the replies. I just thought mabey they inflated the MSRP to make it seem like a good deal. It seems as if that is truely the MSRP. I talked to the salesman agian yesterday and it souds like their willing to budge some. In the end this is beautiful coach my family and I are sure to enjoy for years to come.
SkrapMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkrapMoney View Post
Thanks all for the replies. I just thought mabey they inflated the MSRP to make it seem like a good deal. It seems as if that is truely the MSRP. I talked to the salesman agian yesterday and it souds like their willing to budge some. In the end this is beautiful coach my family and I are sure to enjoy for years to come.
although i would never own it i looked at the video and WOW.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
rip
Senior Member
 
rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 342
I figured 25% off MSRP when I negotiated for my trailer. No, actually I figured 25% off MSRP plus freight, which is $2K to get it down south here. I was only 20% off MSRP (without freight added on). Dealers closer to the factory like RVW can quote a much lower price. My negotiated price was less than all dealers I talked with, including internet quotes. I am not including taxes and fees as part of my base price.

Anyway, at my negotiated price, the dealer should still be getting a gross profit near 12% (not net, gross). I'd like for them to stay in business.
__________________
Ray
+ 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
+ 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Z71
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
prof_fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 911
I've heard of folks getting as much as 40% off - but that was 2 - 3 years ago when the market was at the bottom.

The car world has been changed by the internet - I talked to two dealers and then hit the net - got an email response and shortly thereafter they located what I wanted and quoted me about 10% below anyone else has (for 99% the same truck). Thanks to the internet I have it in writing too.

Maybe you can get some internet lowball price to use as leverage?
__________________
Chris, Wills (16) Evie (13) & Toby our collie (6)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
I figured 25% off MSRP when I negotiated for my trailer. No, actually I figured 25% off MSRP plus freight, which is $2K to get it down south here. I was only 20% off MSRP (without freight added on). Dealers closer to the factory like RVW can quote a much lower price. My negotiated price was less than all dealers I talked with, including internet quotes. I am not including taxes and fees as part of my base price.

Anyway, at my negotiated price, the dealer should still be getting a gross profit near 12% (not net, gross). I'd like for them to stay in business.

Unfortunately, you have to almost rude to them before you can get their attention. I will start at 40% of MSRP and gradually work up a little bit at a time. By all means, play one dealer off the other. Just don't be afraid of making an offer so low that it's insulting.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 20,684
I cheated. I got quotes from the Internet dealers and then went locally with just under what they were asking. One dealer wouldn't deal until I walked away. Another dealer went for it.

I'm not sure what percentage off of MSRP I ended up with, though. The paperwork woman at the dealership said she was shocked I got such a deal. The deal was well done by the time I got to her.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're settlin' down for a spell
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
rattleNsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Western Connecticut
Posts: 1,587
Be careful of that MSRP number. You have to start with the MANUFACTURERS number NOT the dealers. You'll notice dealerships create their own MSRP unlike car/trucks. The rule of thumb is 30-35% off MSRP. The economy is still in the tank so haggle on!
__________________
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
rip
Senior Member
 
rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Be careful of that MSRP number. You have to start with the MANUFACTURERS number NOT the dealers. You'll notice dealerships create their own MSRP unlike car/trucks. The rule of thumb is 30-35% off MSRP. The economy is still in the tank so haggle on!
That's true about the inflated MSRP. I found out the factory MSRP for my base unit and the factory MSRP for each of the options. My local dealer just happened to use those same numbers, some others I talked with were higher for the same base/options.

On a small trailer 30-40K MSRP, I believe 30% off factory MSRP will be close to a low volume dealer's cost (read that local). Just my opinion.
__________________
Ray
+ 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
+ 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Z71
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
FloridaPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 256
I agree 30% is definitely doable. I just work a deal on my new Rockwood from manufacturers MSRP of just over $25,000 down to $16,400. The best thing I can suggest is do your research first. Find out what similar models are selling for and go into negotiations with them in hand. Lastly, be ready to walk. Let them know you are ready to purchase, but if they can't meet your price walk and tell them to call you if they change their mind.
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
rip
Senior Member
 
rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 342
Here's an MSRP example...

The MSRP of my base trailer was just under $27K and the MSRP of factory options was around $4.5K, for an MSRP of $31.5K (figures from Forest River Rockwood MSRP Order Form). Freight was $2K.

The MSRP for the same base/options quoted by an internet dealer was around $36.5K. That's a difference of $5K. This dealer's asking price was very good and comparable to only a few area dealers if you adjusted for shipping, but most area dealers were 2-4K higher. The inflated MSRP was unnecessary for comparitive shopping on the asking price, but it made that particular asking price seem like 34% off. It would have only been 23% off actual MSRP.

That why I said RattleNsmoke was on target about warning us about the MSRP numbers we use to figure a percent off.

I couldn't find a factory MSRP for the OP's Charleston 430BH, other than the dealer's stated $325K. The $230K price is about 30% off, and was in line with other dealers' prices advertizing via internet. One dealer mentioned it was a discontinued model and limited to stock on hand. Don't know if that's true either. However, since others were asking similar prices, the OP can probably negotiate more. I see no one else was able to provide the OP a different actual factory MSRP on this high dollor model.
__________________
Ray
+ 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
+ 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Z71
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
Member
 
SkrapMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rocklin, CA.
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
Here's an MSRP example...

The MSRP of my base trailer was just under $27K and the MSRP of factory options was around $4.5K, for an MSRP of $31.5K (figures from Forest River Rockwood MSRP Order Form). Freight was $2K.

The MSRP for the same base/options quoted by an internet dealer was around $36.5K. That's a difference of $5K. This dealer's asking price was very good and comparable to only a few area dealers if you adjusted for shipping, but most area dealers were 2-4K higher. The inflated MSRP was unnecessary for comparitive shopping on the asking price, but it made that particular asking price seem like 34% off. It would have only been 23% off actual MSRP.

That why I said RattleNsmoke was on target about warning us about the MSRP numbers we use to figure a percent off.

I couldn't find a factory MSRP for the OP's Charleston 430BH, other than the dealer's stated $325K. The $230K price is about 30% off, and was in line with other dealers' prices advertizing via internet. One dealer mentioned it was a discontinued model and limited to stock on hand. Don't know if that's true either. However, since others were asking similar prices, the OP can probably negotiate more. I see no one else was able to provide the OP a different actual factory MSRP on this high dollor model.
Thanks for the awesome info Rip. Ill keep in touch.
SkrapMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
Member
 
skipperW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 47
We just ordered a Columbus 320RS that came in at about 34% off MSRP, and it was the real MSRP as I saw the price sheet from the factory rep. Just as a suggestion (particularly if you're ordering a unit), if you're at an impasse on the money negotiate to have the dealer throw in some options. Many times they're more willing to do that than shave the price and it all really ends up the same.
skipperW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
zs325RES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Byron Center, MI
Posts: 415
Great topic.
We ordered our new Crusader 5r from the winter RV show last month and managed 32% off MSRP. The dealer threw in a hitch, installation, prep charge, and the $5k Touring Edition package. They even called in the factory rep (was at the show) to help with some additional factory money to seal the deal.
It helps with destination charges that the factory is only 2 hours away.

They will definately deal, so don't be shy.
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.