Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Same here. Even reasonable starting batteries cost more than $40. Well maybe not a group 24 automobile starting battery from Walmart.
I don't go to wally world for batteries I only use interstate
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #22

I didn't know you could get a Deep Cycle battery anywhere for less than $100, I cant
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I didn't know you could get a Deep Cycle battery anywhere for less than $100, I cant
I can interstate
Old 12-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #24
Arvee Pilot

We purchased our 2019 FR3 30DS in June. I recently totaled up what I have spent. Shocking! Over 20% of what we spent on the coach!
Old 12-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #25

since the title of the post was originally about 'upgrades', I think that most RVs come with exactly what's already 'needed' to go camping, RVing, or Glamping, as the coach is designed for from the outset.
If adding other 'stuff' is what is referred to, then that is simply other stuff that you WANT to add, not 'upgrades' to the coach itself.
Some like to 'add' additional lights, more batteries, solar, or more solar, etc... but those are in addition to what's already there - they are simply extensions of the owner's desires, not mandatory requirements to take your first trip.

I would say that manufacturers to a good job of giving us what is needed to be successful, though comparing what you get with a pop-up camper is not going to be what you get with a 45' diesel 'house on wheels', nor should it be expected to.

Having said that, we all 'camp' differently, and have different expectations and desires and comfort levels - there will never be a coach built that will come with 'all' of those extras we think we need, not even the million $ variety - you still will have to bring your own food : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I can interstate
Aren't you talking about dual purpose marine batteries, not true deep cycle batteries.
Does your $40 battery have a CCA rating? If so, it's not a true deep cycle battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
You either got the deal of the century or you have the mixed use deep cell.
True Deep Cells like that are used for trolling motors on boats or for golf carts that offer more AH capacity and deeper discharge rates run between $175 and up. The Trojan 1275's I have in my golf cart (4 of them) and that I bought two of to put on the camper to replace the crappy group 24 that came with it run $220 and up. That's why I jumped at the chance to get two at $100 each from my golf cart guy when I bought the golf cart.

If they are Lithium, they can run $700 each or more.

So to answer your question, people that want/need the extra 12v power or want maintenance free (AGM/Lithium) or that have specific battery storage needs (Want to put the batteries in a weird orientation in an unusual spot).
You might want to change golf cart guys if you paid $220 each for Trojan 1275s they are new $169.99 at my golf cart guy. $100 each used may be good if they were maintained well and not too old.

But personally for the camper a cheep deep cell like Interstate is good enough for us as we do not boondock. The last one lasted 6 years

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #28
Newly Retired

The more you have, the more you have. Not nessasarrily an improvement.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Aren't you talking about dual purpose marine batteries, not true deep cycle batteries.
Does your $40 battery have a CCA rating? If so, it's not a true deep cycle battery.
It does not say marine just deep cycle on and for what I use them for one in camper and one in a boat for trolling I even put one on my diesel tractor they all work for me at $40.00 bucks each plus trade and tax. you see I take a xtra one with me if I am going to dry camp , I am cheap when it comes to paying big bucks for something when I can get the same thing to me at a way cheaper price , each his own
Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #30

If those $40 batteries are that great don't be stingy, share the brand and your source. Lots of others here that might be interested in the same deal.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If those $40 batteries are that great don't be stingy, share the brand and your source. Lots of others here that might be interested in the same deal.

I have many many times on her go to a interstate battery distributor not a dealer the dealer gets his from a distributor all batteries have a shelf life when that time is up they go back to the distributor and stamp as a blem and the one near me sell them for $ 40 .00 plus tax and trade it does not matter if its a battery for a car, truck, boat, deep cell 6 volt , tractor, semi I have not paid full price for a battery in over 20 years and in that time I have only had one that did not last for 3 years all of them have gone past the 5 years. My dealer is in mentor Ohio
Old 12-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #32

Back to the OP's question.

Probably 3% initially. The figure is artificially low because I knew most of the mods before I even signed for the camper. So I worked with the dealer to see which mods he wanted to do to include in the purchase price, and which I would do.

For example, I knew I wanted 2 GC-2 batteries from the start. So I had the dealer install and provision a twin battery box (no extra charge), keep his Group 27 (credit to me), and bought my GC-2s from Costco. I added a marine cut-off switch on the battery box exterior and a voltmeter inside after delivery. I also replaced the faulty WFCO converter/panel with the PD drop-in replacement rather than have a warranty "fix" to the WFCO.

Example #2: the twin bed A-frame had the Cool-Cat air conditioning/heat pump outlets between the beds. Which provides little air conditioning/heat to the camper if the twin beds are bridged to make a king. Copying another A-framer's mod, I ran one of the ducts to the forward end of the bed. The dealer was interested in the mod, so he provided the duct and matching face plate free in return for photos of what I did.

I improved the fridge install to bring it closer to Dometic specs. But until warm weather for testing arrives, remainder of fridge improvements are on hold.

And of course, like most of us, added mattress toppers for sleeping comfort.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #33

I spent about 20000.00 dollars on upgrades this year.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #34
World Wide Wanderer

On just about every RV I have owned the upgrade/add on list has run about 10% of purchase price. Doesn't seem to matter what I buy... wanted a bus, but can't afford the upgrades.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #35

Dollars spent

WE purchased a new 41 ft Montana in Sept of 2017 trading off my 2005 35 ft. Because My wife and I spend months in cold weather we did extensive under belly modification. We added three inches of High density foam under the water tanks, and then added several inches of spray on foam under the whole frame. this was about $4000.00. Very happy with this You would not have believed the holes in the outside covering. Next project was Solar. Four 125 watt panels and electronics and new 6 volt batteries. another $4000. That is an addition of about 15% add rear camera, tire monitor, spare parts for slide easily another $1000
Now do I add my new truck, a 2018 Dodge 3500?
tooclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #36

After 15 years of full timing there's one thing that I have noticed, there are always "got to have" upgrades that come out. Never ending battle, hate new catalogs .

Old 12-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Wheelers View Post
After 15 years of full timing there's one thing that I have noticed, there are always "got to have" upgrades that come out. Never ending battle, hate new catalogs .

I stand next to my recycle bin when sorting mail. Cabela's catalogs, as well as any shooting/reloading supply catalogs, are tossed without even opening. Ditto for Camping World. Just guessing that I toss a good 10# of advertising and catalogs into the recycle bin every week.

It's bad enough that I can find way too many "must have's" online.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #38

This is the list I came up with after going back thru my 2801QS mods thread. Too scary to add up

Solar panel and controller
Window shades
Fantastic fans
Maxxair vent covers
Victron battery monitor
Tireminder
USB outlet for Tireminder
Add-a-Drawers
Floor mats
Lloyds Cab carpet
5 StarTune
Screen door bar
Motion activated led’s for under sink cupboard
Awning poles
Oxygenics shower head
Pacific Dualies valve extenders
AGM batteries
WiFi extender from TechnoRV with Yagi antennae
Levelmate Pro
Dynamat Extreme on door panels and engine cover
Air Lift Wireless One remote airbag compressor
BaoFeng 2 way radio for logging roads
Infinity 6x9 speakers in cab
Gas lifts for compartment doors
Garmin RV660 with backup camera
Custom charging organizer with Apple TV and hdmi
RVlock keypad doorlock
Sylvania SilverStar Ultras headlight bulbs
In-dash mounted Scangauge
Thomas Payne theatre recliners with heat and massage
K&N cold air intake
Sam-1 upgrade kit for the stove fan
Clearsource two stage water filter
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #39

I don't keep track of costs because the wife might find the list!
WNY_Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #40

Safe-t plus, viair compressor, Tpms, snap pads, rv gps, ems, are the more expensive items so far. All in around $3000 on extras, less than 5% of purchase price. Of course, I’ve only had it 7 months, [emoji38]
cstrunk5040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade