Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #21

Thanks

Thank you for all of the replies. A lot of good information. We will probably take at least 3 months but only in Canada about 2 weeks.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #22

We spent nearly 3 months in the eastern provinces with very little cash. The best exchange rate is with a credit card that doesn’t charge a foreign exchange rate. Credit cards are accepted everywhere with vertualy no worries. The wait staff in restaurants brought a card reader to the table so our card never was out of sight. The exchange rate at atm is never as good as it is with the credit card. The only problem we had was at Costco. They didn’t accept Visa card, only master card. They won’t even accept the U.S. Costco Visa card. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:39 PM   #23

Here in MN Costco only accepts Visa - No Mastercard.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:03 PM   #24

My wife and I usually carry about $400 each, traveling or not. It is amazing how cash can enhance the outcome when you need help of some sort.
Never use debit cards anywhere but your bank. Thieves got my debit card info and pin by using an electronic capture device while we were at a trusted local restaurant. They got it right after my retirement check was deposited and emptied the account in 36 hours on a holiday weekend in 5 different towns on I10. By the time the bank called the account was empty. Because it was a debit, the fraud dept had to actually investigate before refunding the money. Took 2 months.
If it had been a credit card, the account would of refunded immediately.
On foreign trans fees, some cards charge them, some don't. Find out about your cards. If traveling far outside our normal usage areas, we let the credit card companies know so they don't refuse any transactions.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:19 AM   #25

I travel quite a bit by motorcycle. Filling up every couple of hundred miles often sets off fraud warnings on my credit card, so before I leave I call the credit card company and tell them I'll be traveling. I've got two cards so if they turn one off, I can still make it till I can call the cc company. I find I don't need a lot of cash.
If you must use a debit card at a gas pump, hit credit instead of debit. I'm told that will keep card readers at bay.
Pacifictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:37 AM   #26

I have my bank issued card which is a Visa debit card, but can be (and always has been) used as credit card.
When those cards first came out, merchants always charged a fee (percentage) to use credit. Then so many people were using debit, that has now reversed at many places, no up charge for credit. But, the merchant is sometimes charged a fee for (convenience).
In no case have I ever used it as debit for the reasons quoted above by many others. Using the card as credit offers the same protections (more or less) as a straight up credit card.
We are planning a long trip coming up,
This thread provided a lot of insight. I was thinking of carrying a large sum of cash, but will plan otherwise now.
This forum has so much insight from so many seasoned travelers and is so useful.
Thanks all for your inputs and support of this forum.
(When I saw the title I was thinking someone was going to ask how much money they needed to retire! I told my wife “this will bring some interesting comments!”
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:01 AM   #27

You will find this a difficult trip to make paying cash for everything. Many atm limit withdrawals to $300. You can’t get a full tank of fuel in Canada. Even with the best exchange rate you will find everything more expensive north of the border. When you use the debit card at an atm make sure you select Canadian dollars if the machine ask’s if you want US or Canadian dollars. You will be charged at least 10% exchange fee if you ask for US dollars
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:52 PM   #28

Hello EJ, be prepared to spend an outrageous amount of money on diesel in Canada. My sister in law lives in Hamilton, Ont. and just a couple of days ago she was telling my wife that unleaded is up to $1.51 a liter, which is how they sell gas in Canada figuring folks can't do the math to come up with how much per gallon, which we know comes out to over $6! for 87 octane regular.

You can shop credit cards and banks looking for one that does not charge international transaction fees, and gives the best exchange rate on your money. This is the "only" way to do any kind of purchasing in Canada. Do not use cash, you will be ripped off.

I am a huge fan of Discover. I use them almost exclusively when on the road. They will send me texts asking if that was me that just spent $$$? at a gas station, restaurant, store, etc. Also if you do need to call all of their CSR are U.S. based and you will not be on hold for 59 minutes.

Side note, hope the Sportscoach is treating you well, we are heading for a two-month cross-country trip starting in May.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:24 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Hello EJ, be prepared to spend an outrageous amount of money on diesel in Canada. My sister in law lives in Hamilton, Ont. and just a couple of days ago she was telling my wife that unleaded is up to $1.51 a liter, which is how they sell gas in Canada figuring folks can't do the math to come up with how much per gallon, which we know comes out to over $6! for 87 octane regular.
Actually it comes out to about $4.51/gal

https://www.mississauga4sale.com/Gas...gallons-us.htm
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:05 PM   #30

I believe that is the exchange rate price, U.S. vs. Canadian. Sorry I didn't equate $6 gal. at Canadian dollars.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I have my C/C accounts (as well as other deposit accounts) all set up so that any transaction results in a notification sent to my phone in text.

I can finish filling the tank on my truck and before I start the engine I get notified. If someone runs my card twice while out of my sight, under most circumstances I'll know before they return to my table with my "legitimate bill".

With that notification setup I can also login and hit the "dispute" button next to the transaction on my bank's app.

I take advantage of all the security options offered by my bank for credit cards, deposit accounts, and online banking in general.

As for Debit Card? Haven't needed one, will never have one, and around here local merchants often have a surcharge for using Debit versus Credit.
What bank/CC company is this? Would like to make the same setup and arrangements with notifications.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyr001 View Post
What bank/CC company is this? Would like to make the same setup and arrangements with notifications.
The most hated bank in the US, Bank of America.

That said, I have found them useful I keep just enough money on deposit for me to have all the usual fees waived. No account service fees, no statement fees, no charge checking (although I've only written one of those in over a year).

FWIW, I also use a local credit union that has similar features in their online banking app. ANY deposit of withdrawal (including ATM or Check) triggers a notification to my phone.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:36 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyr001 View Post
I would guess most of the major US banks have a similar system.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:49 PM   #34

Here in BC Canada fewer places are accepting cash and more have gone contactless. This is due to covid and for all I know it will be more relaxed when you're up here. Not saying that you cant use cash at a gas station, but if you're stopping for a coffee or something, you may come across that.

When we camp in the states we use our CC and a small amount of US cash.

Gas prices are ridiculous right now, even with your dollar being so strong, I'm sure you'll be surprised at how much it costs to tank up.

Advise your CC company that you are travelling, you don't want a temporary freeze on your account because of "unusual spending"

Costco up here only takes Mastercard.
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post

You can shop credit cards and banks looking for one that does not charge international transaction fees, and gives the best exchange rate on your money. This is the "only" way to do any kind of purchasing in Canada. Do not use cash, you will be ripped off.

I am a huge fan of Discover. I use them almost exclusively when on the road. They will send me texts asking if that was me that just spent $$$? at a gas station, restaurant, store, etc. Also if you do need to call all of their CSR are U.S. based and you will not be on hold for 59 minutes.

Side note, hope the Sportscoach is treating you well, we are heading for a two-month cross-country trip starting in May.
Good to hear from you. Where are you heading to in May. Possibly we will cross paths?

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #36

Cash is King, always carry cash.

I have been in too many situations where CC cards cannot be used because "whatever is down or offline" and we only take cash. The most notable of this is right after any Natural Disaster or city wide emergencies. I live in Houston and when we have Hurricanes, Walmart will open the doors right after the Hurricane with NO POWER and post guards at the door and its cash only. They really do want people in there as fast as possible hauling out all the perishable foods.

Also, when I pull into McDonalds, I love my McDonalds coffee in the morning and I want McDonalds and not anyone else.
I cannot tell you how many times I have gone to a McDonalds in the morning and been told "cash only" Credit Card machine is down.

So as far as what to carry. Thats what you are comfortable with but you need to consider in an emergency situation, I mean, someone got really hurt bad, or your completely broken down outside of Coutts and there is nothing for 100 miles , $1000 gets you just about whatever you will need right then. Tow, lodging, food.

I also pack heat, and keep it hidden in various places. So think about that too. I have been car jacked twice in my life, not in an RV but when I used to do security systems in Houston in the 90's and crime was way worse then. But right now with the downturn because of Covid lockdowns and the resulting inflation and our governments inability to manage it, people are losing jobs and crime has doubled so keep it hidden and look poor if possible.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw7213 View Post
Thank you for all of the replies. A lot of good information. We will probably take at least 3 months but only in Canada about 2 weeks.
For Canada, get $100CN from an ATM at the first bank you see once you cross the border. Chances are you won't need much, if any of it. Virtually every business in Canada has a point of sale terminal at the cash register. In restaurants, your server will bring it to your table. I only use credit cards with no international transaction fee. I don't even own a debit card for the reasons mentioned by previous posters. It can take a while to get your money back, as one of my friends found out. All I have is an ATM card from credit union, which is what I use to get cash from an ATM at a Canadian bank. I just use cash for minor purchases that aren't worth the hassle of pulling out my card. The last $100CN I got has lasted for two or three trips now, and I still have some of it.
AlaskaErik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensatt View Post
I also pack heat, and keep it hidden in various places. So think about that too. I have been car jacked twice in my life, not in an RV but when I used to do security systems in Houston in the 90's and crime was way worse then. But right now with the downturn because of Covid lockdowns and the resulting inflation and our governments inability to manage it, people are losing jobs and crime has doubled so keep it hidden and look poor if possible.
You won't be packing any heat in Canada. Try it and you'll be looking a long stretch in the Canadian Crossbar Hilton.
AlaskaErik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:55 PM   #39

It would be totally stupid to attempt to take a fire arm in to Canada. It is common knowledge that that is a big no-no. Foolish behavior.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
It would be totally stupid to attempt to take a fire arm in to Canada. It is common knowledge that that is a big no-no. Foolish behavior.
A non-issue for me especially right now. I have no desire or reason to go to Canada.