Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

How often do you re-caulk the exterior of your rv?

Rv blogs act like people should do it every 6 months (which is a big job), how often do you veteran rvers caulk the exterior realistically? Thank you for your input
JeremywFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
Site Team

I inspect mine every 6 months.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #3

I inspect the roof, corner seams and caulking around windows, doors and other cutouts at the beginning of the season (March here in Ohio), again mid summer (July) and then after the last trip of the year (Usually late Oct). Touch up anything that is cracked along with looking for any holes or tears in your roof membrane.

I know it sounds like overkill to many people but once you understand how disastrous water intrusion into your walls and RV can be, You realize it's not overkill, it's good preventative care.

Go look at some used RV's that are 5-8 years old that the previous owners didn't take care of as prescribed above and you will likely find one of the following:
Musty smelling
Bubbled wallpaper or ceiling (water is behind them)
Soft Floors
Rotten substructures (Walls, Cabinets, storage area's)

It takes maybe 30 minutes to do a full inspection and most times no touch up needed. When you do need touch up, maybe another 15-30 minutes. In the name of making your camper last 15-20 years or be in fantastic shape when you sell/trade it in, a worthwhile investment of a few hours a year.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #4

I too inspect three or four times a year. Usually only one or two items need attention but it is a good idea to get used to looking frequently. There are so many places to look. I check (in no particular order):

Roof penetrations
TV wire on the roof (needs FREQUENT attention)
Roof to cap
Skylight plastic for cracking
Roof to rear cap
Roof to gutters
Slide out roofs at outside edge
Slide out roof sides
Slide out bottom side walls
Slide out gaskets
Slide out metal trim
Top of gutters below roof (above slides and awning mounts)
Top of J wrap
Tops of entry doors
Windows
Sides of front cap
Trim under wall at front overhang on fiver
Around all wall penetrations (electric plug,refer vents,baggage door trim,ladder brackets)

There is a lot of caulk your RV is completely dependent on to keep from leaking. It is in your best interest to keep a close eye on all of it.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #5

Follow up question.

What kind of caulking do you use for sealing windows and slides? Would you use a clear silicone sealant or something else. Looking at my trailer, it appears to be a clear sealant.
thecigarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #6

caulking

Thanks, redhooker, for detailed list!
Barb RPod CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
D W

I inspect all my seams and roof twice a year, and only address that which is in need. My mantra: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecigarmann View Post
Follow up question.

What kind of caulking do you use for sealing windows and slides? Would you use a clear silicone sealant or something else. Looking at my trailer, it appears to be a clear sealant.
Don’t use silicone. I tried it once and it was a disaster. I use pro flex RV sealant. Comes in several colors or clear.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin
Bigruh36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremywFL View Post
Rv blogs act like people should do it every 6 months (which is a big job), how often do you veteran rvers caulk the exterior realistically? Thank you for your input
Inspect at least every 6 months . i've done mine once i 5 yrs . i used the sikaflex 221 which i have to say i like very much . don't think I'll have to do it again for many years with the sikaflex 221
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecigarmann View Post
Follow up question.

Lexel, sticky as all get out and flexible so it does not come detached as camper flexes.

Clear, white or black, take your pick, available at a local home building center in your area. Not cheap, simply the best thing Ive found
Old 09-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #11

What is the proper way to reseal items on trailer? Let's say you see a 4 inch section on slide out that's cracked, do you just remove the 4 inch section and reseal or is it a good idea to reseal the whole seam.
Gary
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #12
Paul & Dianne

Subscribed. Thanks, Redhooker for the list. Now I’ll make one for our 5er.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post
What is the proper way to reseal items on trailer? Let's say you see a 4 inch section on slide out that's cracked, do you just remove the 4 inch section and reseal or is it a good idea to reseal the whole seam.
Gary

I liked to know as well. Are folks simply wiping a thin coat of sealant over the cracks, or are they digging the old sealant out first?

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:21 PM   #14

Caulking TT

I keep mine in covered storage but I check the caulk every spring when I dewinterize and every fall when I winterize! Works for me!
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, exterior