Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #1

How realistic is it to do PDI and take home same day?

We are scheduled for our PDI next Friday afternoon. Our plan is to bring it home to load and prep (possibly try to overnight in) and then take it to a local campground the next morning. How realistic is this expectation?

I don't want to get my hopes up to take it home and then find that it needs to stay at the dealer for the weekend for punch list items.

I was told that they run all the systems starting about 2 days before so they can inspect and work on anything that turns up.

We had fun, but spent some $$, shopping at Wally World for a few kitchen supplies and other essentials. Can't wait!

2014 Surveyor SPT295
Texasblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #2

It can be done, although I'd wait a week to take it out....you'll find a whole bunch of stuff you forgot to get most likely. Definitely do an overnight in it, use EVERYTHING, cooking, shower, etc. If you forget something, all you have to do is run inside and get it. It also gives you time to figure out where to put everything. Our neighbors look at us a little funny when we do it, but that's OK, lol.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Make them show you that EVERYTHING works.
Water pump, heater.
A/C-furnace.
Awning.
Slides.
Lights inside and out.

You are paying for this service, get your monies worth.

Question, ask tons of them.

How bad do you want to see your plan work?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Very good advice...some places are pretty good at this and some aren't. The reason I mention to actually try out everything in a "real world" type setting is that sometimes something looks like it works fine during PDI, but in certain situations it doesn't work correctly. Fire up the oven, bake something, microwave something, run the A/C all night (it's still the middle of summer here in Tx). It also gets you used to how everything works. I burned the bottoms of some biscuits in mine the first day in the driveway...I didn't the next weekend at the campground though .
Old 09-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Water pump, heater.
A/C-furnace.
Awning.
Slides.
Lights inside and out.

X-2
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

I am not willing to compromise having a trailer as perfectly set as we can get it.

The trip can be postponed, but next weekend is a great weekend for us to go. If I could have talked my husband and his work schedule into "my way of thinkin", we'd be doing PDI on Wednesday .

Saturday is a micro "shakedown" cruise, within 30 - 45 min from home and close to Walmart! Just to say we've taken it out.

2014 Surveyor SPT295
Old 09-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #7

If I compressed the time it took to move stuff into the trailer I would say one full day.
Real time was about ten days.
You can do it but your gonna work for it.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #8

I should say, I don't mind if I'VE forgotten something, but won't take it off the lot until they've fixed to my satisfaction, regardless of my weekend plans. I know for sure that I'll have a long list after our first trip of what I'll need for next time, but that is just part of the adventure, to me.

I'm praying that there really isn't much to fix so we can go enjoy our new expensive toy in the great outdoors where it is meant to be.

2014 Surveyor SPT295
Old 09-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #9

I highly suggest you camp in your driveway for the weekend and test EVERYTHING out. I had a few minor things wrong with my trailer and ended up taking it back to the dealer under warranty.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Always Learning

We did our PDI and left the dealer and went straight to a campground. They fixed an item or two on the spot. The remainder (mostly minor) all got added to our "when we return for warranty items" list that we didn't get around to until 11 months in of ownership.

Our dealer did an OK prep ahead of our walk through. The kid who did the walk through knew very little. I relied on forums like these and Internet reading/Youtube videos to get me there.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Videotape your pdi. Make them show you not just tell you how to do everything and then you return the demo. If it turns on, off, opens closes, or moves etc test it. Even have them open up where the water heater and water pump are and have them show you the winterization and dewinterization processes. Also have them demonstrate hitching and unhitching the wdh/sway control. Pay close attention to this. Practice it there and again when you get home. Do not hand any money over until everything is fixed to your satisfaction. Do not agree to come back under warranty as most dealerships keep your tt for weeks and you lose out on valuable camping time. If they don't have your $$$ yet then they are motivated to work harder to get it.

As others have said, I would take a week to set it up and then camp in it otherwise you will feel rushed to get it out without waiting for it to be right. Enjoy it and happy camping.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:18 AM   #12

we have done it 5 times, sometimes it was problem free others a disaster. It seems every time we did it , it was at least 94 degrees and the dealership only had 30 amp service so we could not turn on both a/c units in each RV, so sweat was the rule of the day.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #13

Its best to call your salesperson and let them know...1. ITS a PDI ..not a sales person pitching .. trying to sell you "UP GRADES".. better ..faucets..better shower sprayer...Bedroom tv mounts..the list goes on forever... and yes..you want to see everything operate properly..and learn about what ever you need to..2. IF..All that goes well.. and you can take your coach that day ...Make a list of things that you want to have on your trip.Ahead of time..all of you can do this together ..good luck
Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #14

take along the operation manuals wherever you go. If you forgot something or it was not covered, it might be in a manual
farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #15

Left home one July morning this year at 7:30, arrived at the dealer's location (112 miles east) around 9:15. We had purchased the trailer three days previous, came home, and I'd studied everything I could find out about it on the internet. It was a new 2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS, and we were done with the inspection/PDI by 10:30, and underway for home. That time included the final paperwork . . . no trade-in, just an outright sale. We asked LOTS of questions during the walk through, and tried most of the things we were shown.

We arrived back at home around 12:30, with one stop along the way for lunch. Everything from the prior trailer was sorted and ready for the new rig. We had it loaded by 2:30, including food for a three day shakedown cruise. We pulled out at 3:00, drove east 40 miles to the lakeside campground, and were set up by 4:30.

Was it easy? Yes and no. We were prepared, and everything came off perfectly, without delays at any point, and with a new trailer that was firing on all cylinders from the beginning. Would I recommend it? No. Only each individual can make that determination, since so many factors can/will be involved. We've been camping for four decades, so have this all down pretty well.

Was it worth it? Oh yeah! Supper under the awning at 6:00, and sunset from the easy chairs. Was the day emotional and draining? Absolutely. Would we do it again? In a heartbeat.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Water pump, heater.
A/C-furnace.
Awning.
Slides.
Lights inside and out.

They had everything running when we picked up our Wildcat. Well everything but the furnace and they cycled that for us.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
They had everything running when we picked up our Wildcat. Well everything but the furnace and they cycled that for us.

From what I have been reading you are among the lucky ones.

This lack of proper introduction (pdi) is fast becoming my new Pet Peeve.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #18

Download a PDI list from this forum. This will help you not to forget or overlook something. And if your RV dealer is not close to home I would have a shake down stay at a CG close to the dealer. May save you traveling back to the dealer for things to be fixed.
Just my 2c. :-)
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #19

We showed up on sat. a.m around 10 did the pdi and left with it around 2 or 3. Keep in mind we were going from a TT to a larger TT, so we had everything we needed.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #20

I don't think we've ever camped quite that fast but this time it was the next day. We also had most everything we could think of so it was a weekend of this goes here, that goes there......

LazyDays in Seffner FL has pros/cons but my favorite pro is that they give you a free weekend at their campground to do the shakedown. If something major needs addressed, they're right there, no dragging it up and down the interstate. It was also very convenient to CW which has since moved.

The main thing is to relax, get a good feel for your unit and if you feel froggy, jump!

Happy Camping!

Tags
pdi