Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

How to make your trailer BETTER & STRONGER

So today I decided to stop by two business in McAllen Tx while down here on business. The first one is a trailer/axle store. I asked the owner what it would cost to improve the safety of my trailer. He had several recommendations that weren't all that expensive. He said that these modifications would easily allow the trailer to improve its tow ability, safety, and payload the right way.

He quoted me for swapping out my twin Lipper 4400lb axles for 7000lb dexter axles/brakes/hubs. He quoted me to replace all the leaf springs and mounting equipment with commerical grade components. And boy were the commerical parts much beefier. Also quoted me on moving to a 16" G rated tire and wheel.

Prices:
Axle Replacment: $1800 total (including new hubs, brakes, springs and hardware installed)
16 Alum Wheels/g rated LT tires: $1700 total installed

I then went to a metal fab business and asked what they could do. They actually make boat and utility trailers and understand just how thin and cheap our frames are. They advised using 1/4" fully boxed aluminum 8" beam that should be bolted alongside the factory frame rails and reinforced in areas.

Prices quoted:
60'x8"x2" marine grade Aluminum structural boxed frame rail rated at 11,000lbs: $1400
Installation and hardware: $1000

Pretty cool upgrades I'm actually considering.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #2

Don't forget by doing this you are changing the dry weight of your trailer. Hopefully your TV can handle and pull the additional weight. It might work well on my trailer and TV combo, as I have a ultra light and a dually.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
Always Learning

The problem with these is what is the next weakest link? Say you add 500-1,000 pounds to the trailer's dry weight (purely a made up numbers); do you have the cargo carrying capacity still left for your stuff? I know Lou/Herk asked engineers at a prior FROG Rally and he was told that the targeted GVWR comes into play with the construction of even the walls.

As it stands, I'm actually getting new wheels and springs for my camper on Thursday. I didn't jump up in axle size (7k up to 8k), though I debated it.

Tags
trailer