Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #1

How to set up when camping with friends?

Hey all, some friends and I are to be camping soon. Both of us have TT and are somewhat new to the camping world. And my question is, is it a camping faux pas for one of us to pull into a back in site and unhitch so we are set up with out tt doors facing each other? Obviously there's the electric cable/water length issue but I do have extensions. And if it is something frowned upon, how do you all choose your sites when camping with friends?
tr_t0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr_t0r View Post
Hey all, some friends and I are to be camping soon. Both of us have TT and are somewhat new to the camping world. And my question is, is it a camping faux pas for one of us to pull into a back in site and unhitch so we are set up with out tt doors facing each other? Obviously there's the electric cable/water length issue but I do have extensions. And if it is something frowned upon, how do you all choose your sites when camping with friends?
It all depends on the RV park layout whether it is even possible. If it is possible, be sure to ask for permission before doing it.
Some RV parks have spots set up so you can face your neighbor. We use these if available when traveling with friends, but it's not a big deal either way. We usually move our lawn chairs from site to site anyway, chasing the shade as it moves
We were just in a park in Ruidoso NM with four other RVs and friends. We were spread all over the park. We either congregated at the RV with the most shade, or the community gazebo. There is always a way!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #3

I've seen people do it but I've also seen where parks don't allow it either. I'd ask before you get there or at check-in.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Team

We've done it before. It makes it nice to be able to face each other.

One time we had two larger RV's facing each other and another R-Pod across the back so we were in a horseshoe. It was during Halloween and we decorated the whole setup. It was nice and spooky with the different colored lights and the decorations.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #5

I have done it many times when camping with friends. But I always ask first.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

Seen it done numerous times. Don't be one of those that drive 300 yards thru campsites so you can park the other way. Yes.....I've seen it done, ground was damp....and yes.....they made a mess going across the backs of other sites.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #7

Do as others have said but also some places have “Buddy sites” that are specifically meant for what you’re trying to do. They’ll usually both be pull throughs from opposite directions with a common fire pit.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
Camper

We have done it and it was a lot more fun having a "courtyard" instead of being separated. Always ask the park if its ok. We had back in sites and the opposing site had no one on it that weekend so one site because a pull through in the wrong direction. We got lucky and had great fun.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

In summary.......

Ask campground owners permission first.
Don’t cause any property damage positioning differently than was designed.
Enjoy.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #10

Just be considerate

Can't really comment on the pros and cons of parking RVs in different directions. My only recommendation is that, as a group, be sure to be considerate of the "non-group" campers that are around you. We've had multiple experiences this summer where groups of campers come in and talk in loud voices at all hours, build smoky, smoldering campfires (oftentimes burning styrofoam, plastic, and other garbage) and are generally obnoxious. To me, the consideration of fellow campers is most important. I say - park whatever way you want as long as it's ok with campground management, be considerate of others and have a great time!
C2NBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #11

Some campgrounds have buddy sites that allow you to do exactly what you want. You automatically have adjacent sites where you face in opposite directions. I have even seen a four RV corrals.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping