Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #1

HP Computers

I have been checking into a new computer more so for my wife then me. Alot of research going on. I decided on the HP Touchsmart IQ804 (the big one)..... 26" The cheapest price I found was on HP's web site. I called to place the order and was on hold for a good while, then there was a voice on the other end....I could not understand one word they were saying, come to find out my call was routed to the Philippians to place the order, well this wasn't going to work, so I went to staples and looked at what they carry and guess what they have the same one I was looking for the IQ804 but there price was about $250 more then on HP's web site. I spoke to the Manager and ask him if there was any rebates and he said no, so I told him what the price was on the web site and with no problem he said that he would match the web's price. He went on line and there it was, the same one. So I said sold and he had one left in stock. I think the reason for the price matching is because there are more people buying on line and the stores are felling the effect, so if you find that the item you are looking for is a main supplier at the retail store you are shopping in check the web first and then bring it to there attention. The other thing is that if I was to order the computer on line from HP and had a problem with it, then I would have to ship it back, but now if I have a problem I can take it back to Stapes with in 14 days after that then it would have to go back to HP and Stapes offers a 14 day price guarantee.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I just wonder when manufacturers will take a hint, and realize that we want to talk to someone speaking "American" English in the good ol' USA. Instead of you buying directly from HP at a set price, you opted for a brick and mortar company purchase, which HP had to sell their computer at a wholesale price instead of retail, so they ended up losing money. A lot of times when making a big purchase like that, I will call the tech. support line before I buy, to see where the call goes. If I have my choice, even for a couple dollars more, I will buy from someone that answers the phone with a Texas drawl or a New England accent instead of someone with English as a 2nd language.

I will now get off of my soapbox.

Chap
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
That's what I hated about dell. Everytime you called tech, you would either get Guatamala or India. One time my husband was on the phone with them and he asked the girl if she didn't mind telling him how much she made. She was almost excited to announce that she was making $2.37 (in american dollars) an hour....and she was on overtime at the time we called.
They need to enact a bill that triple taxes companies who outsource.....it's really getting out of hand.
SSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #4

From what I have been told is that Dell is opposit, If you order on line you will talk to someone in Texas, but if you need tech support your call will be routed to another country, I think that is even worse trying to correct a problem with broken English.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport View Post
That's what I hated about dell. Everytime you called tech, you would either get Guatamala or India.
They need to enact a bill that triple taxes companies who outsource.....it's really getting out of hand.
Amen to that, brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
From what I have been told is that Dell is opposit, If you order on line you will talk to someone in Texas, but if you need tech support your call will be routed to another country, I think that is even worse trying to correct a problem with broken English.
That is why I call a companies tech. support number before I make a major electronic purchase. They lure you in with a number in the USA for sales, and then hook you up with an overseas number for support. I want to be sure of who I am going to talk to after the purchase.

Chap
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 PM   #6

Yeah I just had my 2 yr. old Compaq (HP) laptop repaired by HP ,enhanced warranty.....basically a recall! I don`t know how many times I said "I`m sorry, could you repeat that!" I`de really like to see them atleast keep the call within the country you are calling from.

BTW, they replaced the hard drive, mother board and battery. free of charge!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Having owned one Dell laptop that I bought and been given 2 others I can safely say that 1. Their tech support sucks! 2. I will NEVER buy a Dell product again! I wouldn't care if they were the last computer manufacturer on earth!

As I heard it put best on another forum. "You will only ever own one Dell in your life, that is because once you have had one you will never buy another"

I have had two Sony Vaios now that have been trouble free over a 5 year period and we have just bought an HP.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeep View Post
Having owned one Dell laptop that I bought and been given 2 others I can safely say that 1. Their tech support sucks! 2. I will NEVER buy a Dell product again! I wouldn't care if they were the last computer manufacturer on earth!

As I heard it put best on another forum. "You will only ever own one Dell in your life, that is because once you have had one you will never buy another"

I have had two Sony Vaios now that have been trouble free over a 5 year period and we have just bought an HP.
I bought my daughter a laptop her first year of college, it was an E machine I think it was made by Gateway, I must say it was the wrong decision the connection for the power supply from the laptop itself became loose and my daughter kept on loosing power and the battery would not charge. When she went back to college to start her second year, I bought her another one but this time It was a Vaios as well and yes you are right there are no problems at this time and now she is in the middle of her third year, and I hope I will not have to buy another one before she is out of college.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #9

Ok, another trip around the world. Yesterday I was in the process of setting up the new computer on the Internet and was having problems with my wireless router, it is a Linksay router. I called the 800 number and was on hold for about 15 mins here comes another voice with not so good English, the first thing I ask the man on the phone "where are you located?" and he replied...India....OK here we go again, after about 30 mins on the phone I did get the problem corrected. So in the last two days I went from the US to the Philippians to India and back again, a nice Holiday trip you should try it sometime.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Grape Escape

Bought a HP desktop and their tech support has been outstanding. Everyone spoke English, never waited from the first call for help, They returned calls as they promised. Had a lemon of a desktop but it is now fixed. And all this support was for a refurbished unit.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #11

Anyone that gets tech support that speaks English has been very lucky. I decided two years ago never to buy a HP product just because I kept gettting another country. Has something changed or were you just lucky? We just bought an open box Gateway(had been a display). Haven't needed support yet and the company is now Acer and have no idea where they are.

2002 GMC Sierra 5.3
2005 Flagstaff 26RKS
tomkaren is offline   Reply With Quote