Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrones View Post
Wow! We really appreciate all of your feedback. I think we have our options here and are leaning in the YouTube TV direction. Great detail from so many of you - thank you very much for that!

Just please, please, please do not try to stream video ( Hulu, Netflix or YouTube) on a free RV Park WiFi unless they say it is OK.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:20 AM   #22

Lots of good info about available programming here. Hulu, RoKu, YouTube...etc etc etc. Just about all the primary and secondary networks have dedicated apps. The problem is that NONE of them work without some type of connection to the internet.

We can connect via campground WiFi, but it has been my experience that CG WiFi is a pitiful experience. Most don’t have it and the ones that do offer it spend as little as possible. It’s rare to get streaming download speeds. It’s just not a reliable option. Satellite internet is available but it’s relatively slow and pretty expensive.

That leaves cellular. Cell Internet is generally reliable and fast but subject to location problems and, unless you have a grandfathered unlimited plan, high costs. The cellular internet market is overrun with scammers. Lots of folks got burned by the recent actions of AT&T and Verizon shutting down resellers (OTR, NetBuddy, mobileinternetprovider.com). Pretty sure more will be affected shortly. Be very, very careful if you’re dealing with a provider other than AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile Those three own just about all the internet airwaves so you’re dealing with them no matter who your provider is.

You have to be careful when choosing a plan because the small print is really very small. There are some pretty strong limits on using cellular hotspot data. Most phone hotspot use gets slowed to video unusable speeds after relatively minor use. And, you have to use the hotspot for RoKu, AppleTV and Smart TV apps, or your laptops and non-cellular tablets. Most “unlimited” plans use “network management” actions to slow your service during times of network congestion. That’s usually not a problem because it rarely lasts very long, especially in areas where most campgrounds are located.

I have grandfathered Prepaid plans on hotspot devices through AT&T and Verizon. Both see network management actions. It’s rare and hardly noticeable on AT&T but Verizon uses it a lot. Visible (Verizon lite) implements network management probably 75% of the time. T-Mobile has a reputation for rarely using it, but their coverage is not very good for campgrounds areas.

Most don’t know how much data they’ll use when starting out. My total use (three plans, combined) is in the low 200 gb range. That’s for an average monthly camping of 12 days. However, we encountered three days of constant rain last month and the data usage was 45 gig for those three days.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #23

Forgot to mention....all you ever wanted to know about cellular data here.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gui...le-and-sprint/
Old 06-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #24

Can't help much with OTA TV (we don't watch OTA while camping) but for the little ones I would get a roku (or similiar). Get one that has a usb input and a portable HD and load up the HD with the kids shows. You will save yourself the aggravation of not getting a signal when the kids want to watch TV or them not wanting to watch whats available. I have 4 HD's with programs on them and, although it took a little work to convert and transfer the video to the HD's, we have more programming than we'll ever watch. We just choose what we want to see and start it up, no worrying about internet connection, streaming speed, using up data on our phone, etc. Sport, for the adults, different story, but for the kiddos I would suggest the above.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote