Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2022, 12:16 PM   #1

Hurricane Evacuation from Eastern Shore, MD

I am not expecting this scenario but hope to be prepared just in case.

I lived in SE PA for 73 years. MY hurricane experience is centered there extending south to the Carolinas and north to the Atlantic Maritimes. Personal experience with PA and NJ and watching news for the other areas mentioned.

We now live on Kent Island on the Eastern Shore of MD. I am thinking about where to evacuate if necessary. The county has us listed in an Evacuation zone. We are about 3.5 feet above sea level and between two bays that connect by open water to the Chesapeake Bay.
(By the way, this is a wonderful area.)

Going north would keep me in the storm path.
Going south will lead me to damaged areas.
East to the Atlantic coast is out but maybe staying inland on the Delmarva Peninsula is OK. Someone who lived there for decades may know about that option.

Going west I have to cross the Bay Bridge which means I can’t delay until the storm is here. If I leave in time where do I go?
Western Maryland?
Central Pa?
Any other options?

Most likely we will be in our motorhome.

Be Well,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #2

Depends on where the hurricane is going.
If the hurricane is headed toward you, get off the island and I'd go west. Get out of the evacuation area and go in the direction that will get you out of the path of the storm and where it has been. Usually that is further west, but not always.
If it were me, after I'd found a relatively safe area, I'd find a hotel/motel where I could hunker down and park the REV nearby. You don't want to ride out a major storm in the REV. We're nothing but souped up delivery vans.
Old 09-25-2022, 12:41 PM   #3

Have that problem now . In Fort Myers unit set up in a permanent spot . even though it's hurricane anchored into concrete no guarantees it will stay put or not suffer major damage if hurricane hits direct . Getting things packed up and stored away things loaded in truck . Rv will be left in place not much can be done about that . You can hook up and go but you may find where you go worse then if you stayed . Can only wait and see path of storm . natural inclination would be to head north but storm may end up being more north and you can dive right into it . wait to long and hwys will be packed would rather stay put then get trapped on hwy . May see going east and south would be best . head to Miami are maybe the keys . to early to tell and once the path is known it maybe to late to get anywhere .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
. wait to long and hwys will be packed would rather stay put then get trapped on hwy . May see going east and south would be best . head to Miami are maybe the keys . to early to tell and once the path is known it maybe to late to get anywhere .
We've been 'stuck' on a highway during a hurricane evacuation and it's no fun hoping not to run out of gas in your car. Whatever you decide to do, don't wait too long. Better the expense of an extra night or two in a hotel or shelter, than stuck in traffic.
Good luck. We'll be thinking of you.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #5

I 'm am also watching , waiting and crapping pants

but I can hitch up and move trailer is stored at the house

will make a decision around monday...
in the meantime checking the hurricane supplies and the generators

I'm in the highest level evacuation zone and only 12 foot above the water and less than 1000 foot from the gulf.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Depends on where the hurricane is going.

If the hurricane is headed toward you, get off the island and I'd go west. Get out of the evacuation area and go in the direction that will get you out of the path of the storm and where it has been. Usually that is further west, but not always.

If it were me, after I'd found a relatively safe area, I'd find a hotel/motel where I could hunker down and park the REV nearby. You don't want to ride out a major storm in the REV. We're nothing but souped up delivery vans.

That confirms my thoughts.

Thanks

Good luck to you guys in FL. I have a friend on a bay in St. Pete that is moving whatever he can in his house to a higher level. He is ready to go to higher ground if water gets to his lawn.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:32 PM   #7

Yes, good luck to everyone who has to deal with Ian.

Our motorhome served us well last year as we evacuated the New Orleans area when Hurricane Ida approached. We also lived in the motorhome while our home underwent repairs.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:57 AM   #8

@Mr.M hey bud, i'm on Pine island. Path looks so close to what Charlie did. at this point who the helllllll knows..
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:08 AM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Count me in on wishing everyone down South good luck with upcoming Ian.

If it were me, and I had an RV of any kind, I’d head North and inland to ride it out. When authorities advise, then return and not before. Riding out a storm like this, seems ludicrous risking both your home and RV. You might WISH you had accommodations as nice as your rig if the worst happened with your sticks and bricks.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:33 AM   #10

It is always best to be prepared. FL yes I would be looking for possible evacuation soon.

Up the East Coast I would be ready but doubt the current storm Ian would be a major issue..............other than heavy rain and some wind, but the track could put it back off the coast. Then I would get more concerned. If it stays inland after FL not so much.

Keep an eye to the track and have a plan. Md Eastern Shore probably will have some effects by the coming weekend. Maybe.......

Be prepared.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:55 AM   #11

I dont know that I would be worried about it all the way up here in Maryland. The forecast calls for it to be rain when it gets here (after travelling 1200 miles over land). The wind gusts will only be in the 30mph range. If you want to evacuate because it makes you more comfortable, by all means do so. I would head northwest. The storm will be inland, so there wont be any storm surge or anything to worry about. I would be more worried if it came up the Atlantic.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanabe View Post
@Mr.M hey bud, i'm on Pine island. Path looks so close to what Charlie did. at this point who the helllllll knows..
Good to know your close . I'm over by Fort Myers beach /Sanible

5th wheel is set up and anchored in concrete with 5/8" turnbuckles and 16,000lbs rated chain in 8 locations and unit is skirted . worry about windows breaking . watching and will decide if i head east tuesday
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #13

Kent island at 3.5' above sea level, I would give thought to looking for higher ground. 2003 Hurricane Isabel came up the west side of the Chesapeake Bay and caused 6 feet of storm surge and flooding in Annapolis MD. Rare for the storm surge to get that high, but it can, and does happen every couple of decades. I remember Hurricane Agnes in 1972, and the flooding was even higher then.
Will Ian cause a 3 to 4' surge in the bay? who knows, but I will be watching it for possible flooding here near Frederick MD.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPcamper View Post
Kent island at 3.5' above sea level, I would give thought to looking for higher ground. 2003 Hurricane Isabel came up the west side of the Chesapeake Bay and caused 6 feet of storm surge and flooding in Annapolis MD. Rare for the storm surge to get that high, but it can, and does happen every couple of decades. I remember Hurricane Agnes in 1972, and the flooding was even higher then.
Will Ian cause a 3 to 4' surge in the bay? who knows, but I will be watching it for possible flooding here near Frederick MD.

I have only been here for a year but it seems to me that the western side of the bay gets more rain and storms.

Even in my area of Kent Island we have had little rain in months but go up maybe two miles towards the highway I see heavy rain more often.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I dont know that I would be worried about it all the way up here in Maryland. The forecast calls for it to be rain when it gets here (after travelling 1200 miles over land). The wind gusts will only be in the 30mph range. If you want to evacuate because it makes you more comfortable, by all means do so. I would head northwest. The storm will be inland, so there wont be any storm surge or anything to worry about. I would be more worried if it came up the Atlantic.

Actually not worried. 30 mph guts are not unusual here. Last winter it seemed like we had at least one gale warning a week.

Not long after we moved in our house and property were surrounded by flood water. Right up to the house. We checked flood predictions before buying and we are in a good spot. Ha ha. I can see five boats from my living room window and was guessing which one would be best to commandeer. [emoji846]

Most of that water receded several hours after the storm passed. We were told by neighbors it was a rare occurrence due to wind, rain and high tide and the moon. I need to pay attention to the tide tables, etc.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
I 'm am also watching , waiting and crapping pants...
Given that Jim Cantore is less than 20 miles from Tarpon Springs I'd definitely think seriously about getting ready to bolt. I can't think of a better indicator as to where the hurricane is going...
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPcamper View Post
My next door neighbor claims the water was up to his waist during Agnes. White caps on the street. Not sure if there is some exaggeration included in his report. 😎

Old 09-29-2022, 10:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
My next door neighbor claims the water was up to his waist during Agnes. White caps on the street. Not sure if there is some exaggeration included in his report. 😎
Might also depend on when the surge came in. They are now worried about when IAN is going to come in to Charleston, South Carolina. Apparently it floods during high tide and that's when this hurricane is projected to hit.
Tides aren't a factor in Gulf storms like they are on the East Coast.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:17 AM   #19

Smile Relax and stay put

it's just a rain storm. Stay put and don't worry about it. it will be a non-event.
ppe115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppe115 View Post
it's just a rain storm. Stay put and don't worry about it. it will be a non-event.
Tell that to the families of the dead and those that lost everything.
No human can know in advance exactly how devastating a hurricane can be no matter what part of it's path it is in. (beginning or ending)

One must stay tuned to current conditions and heed any warnings given at the time. Being prepared for whatever those conditions are is paramount. Kudos to Bobby for asking.

You shouldn't be giving advice to anyone.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote