RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Made it home, I知 tired of driving 450 miles in a day. People I care about are cut off from me. People I know still don稚 have power, I知 tired of hurricanes knocking out my electric. I知 getting a whole house generator that comes on when the electric goes off. Three storms that each was worse that the one before, Floyd, Matthew and now Florence. All storms of the century. I didn稚 think we would ever have a hurricane that was worse than Floyd, wrong we had two more and each worse
Hey Spock, you may want to think about raising your generator above ground level when you get it installed. I did, so at least the run off through my yard doesn't get inside the cabinet.
You'll also want to keep it at least 5 feet from any doors, windows or vents that could draw exhaust gases and as close as possible to your gas meter and electrical panel.
You'll want a dedicated gas valve near the meter so if generator service is necessary you can leave gas on to the rest of the house.
Just food for thought.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #242

For those that are thinking about a Generac whole house generator be aware if you live in a area that Temp may drop below "32 Deg F" you will/should also add the"Cold Weather Kit"! There were 5 of us that bought "Generac 20,000 whole house units" and None of them started when the OS Temp dropped to 15 Deg F! We called Generac and they said the "Cold Kits" were required in. Areas that drop below 32! F! They all worked flawlessly after installing the Cold Kits! All the units were Propane! Youroo! !
Old 09-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #243

Any word from RJOYD who started this thread?
backazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
Hey Spock, you may want to think about raising your generator above ground level when you get it installed. I did, so at least the run off through my yard doesn't get inside the cabinet.
You'll also want to keep it at least 5 feet from any doors, windows or vents that could draw exhaust gases and as close as possible to your gas meter and electrical panel.
You'll want a dedicated gas valve near the meter so if generator service is necessary you can leave gas on to the rest of the house.
Just food for thought.

We have total electric house. But I知 going to install a tankless hot water heater and gas logs for the fireplace
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #245

That is good plan, I always have had multiple forms of heat when I build new house for myself, I am on number 4 right now with three forms of heat, and a 50kw 3 ph Kohler generator on propane, it runs everything. Installed it myself, got it from a hospital that went to a bigger one, it only had 790 hours on it. I don’t have any chance of flooding but I have my possible disaster too, (fire) as I live near Yosemite.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #246

We live 100 miles inland from the South Carolina Coast and had 100 mph wind from Hugo. He is not safe.
cardiactiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #247

Wilmington is now an island with virtually no way to get in. Lots of the huge trees downtown gone. We had no damage to our house. Carolina Beach, Kure beach had huge flooding with first levels flooded. Wrightsville beach fairies a lot better than expected with only minimal damages. Electricity is still out in most of the city, no gasoline, o food. NE Cape Fear river crested at 30 above flood stage. Water has started to return to the river and ocean.
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #248

HUGO? That was quite a while ago. But I’m glad you still remember
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #249

Hurricane tie down

Every time this question is asked most responses say 斗eave. We live in Kure Beach and the questioner lives in Wilmington
. The storm is over. If we would have left we would be neck deeo in water. We have rods with eyes buried in cement 4 ft deep with a ratchet strap over the top. And we filled the fresh water tank. This solution was recommended by the one and only person we could find who realizes leaving is not always the best option. Our trailer made it through the storm just fine and I wasn稚 even worried about it.
steve422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #250

At the end of the day everybody must make their own decisions after evaluating the whole big picture as you are the one to live (or die) by that decision. I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision. But I'd be the last one to 2nd guess that decision.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #251
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
At the end of the day everybody must make their own decisions after evaluating the whole big picture as you are the one to live (or die) by that decision. I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision. But I'd be the last one to 2nd guess that decision.
X2. Only you can be held responsible for your decision(s). Like we say in Alaska, "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #252

In hindsight I wish we had stayed, I think our Cedar Creek fifth wheel with the jacks down and hooked up to the Silverado would have did okay. Next time we will leave as I知 installing a whole house generator. I had one tree down but I was blessed. My son lives in Wallace NC and the power sub station is under water, he doesn稚 know when he will get power. He put his travel trailer in a building and as soon as the winds died down he pulled his trailer to his house. The building that his trailer was in is now under water. He is living in his trailer. He brought a generator when Hurricane Matthew came in, he said the generator and camper was both paid for with two storms of the century
Old 09-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #253

Quote:
In hindsight I wish we had stayed, Next time we will leave as I知 installing a whole house generator.
Remember, when you moved it, you had a Cat. 4 or possibly a Cat.5 storm headed your way. I think you made the best decision that you could have at the time.

Sorry to hear about your son's lack of electricity. Sounds like he's a like you, keeping the rig sheltered until needed.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #254
...far N Georgia!

yes, you did the right thing, though it seems an inconvenience 'now'...
it would not have seemed that way if the storm remained a Hurricane ...

it's always going to be a 'guess', but better safe, and sorry... than just sorry.

My sister and her 4 kids left Charleston, and just now returned...very inconvenient.
But alive.

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 110k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #255

Hind sight is always 20-20. It is just not worth the risk to consider riding out a hurricane. They are unpredictable and you would be risking your life.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #256
World Wide Wanderer

I have seen decisions go both ways...

Buddy of mine had a nice Hawk 285 off shore fishing boat, it was parked at his place in Murrells Inlet, SC when Hurricane Fran came along. Originally Fran was forecast to come in at Myrtle Beach. He decided to tow it home to Fayetteville, NC some 90 miles inland. Fran turned at the last minute and came up the Cape Fear River, right through Fayetteville as a strong Cat 1. Large pine landed full length on the boat parked right next to his garage.
So you never really know.

I have seen two campers parked in the same campground about 3 spaces apart, hurricane came through, one camper was trashed the other had minor damage. No clue why.

I, personally have a tendency to lean towards the conservative side when it comes to protecting life and property. I carry plenty of insurance, but I really don't want to use it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #257

Quote:
Next time we will leave as I知 installing a whole house generator.

We installed one 2 years ago. After 6 days of 95 degree heat and 80% humidity one year and 5 days of below zero snow, we opted for a bigger one then we needed. In the event of family coming to camp on property and the power going out.

We had it installed on the other side of garage to keep the noise minimal.

One of the best buys we ever did.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #258

Our son is back in Wilmington, while being bypassed around I40 he said the smell was horrific. Wilmington is in really bad shape many areas still without power. Limited food at the stores. His house fared well all he lost was a few shingles and his privacy fence. Less that a 1/2 mile away was serious flooding though.

On a side not the Community College where he works is planning to reopen October 1st.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:48 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Our son is back in Wilmington, while being bypassed around I40 he said the smell was horrific.
That smell is something everyone describes in the wake of a flood.

Looks like there is more tropical rain headed that way this week which is not going to help the recovery.

We still have lots of homes that haven't even begun to be repaired from Harvey last year. We feel for you and understand. Even though you came through with minimal damage, seeing the devastation around you is tough.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:17 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
We installed one 2 years ago. After 6 days of 95 degree heat and 80% humidity one year and 5 days of below zero snow, we opted for a bigger one then we needed. In the event of family coming to camp on property and the power going out.

We had it installed on the other side of garage to keep the noise minimal.

One of the best buys we ever did.

What size did you get?

Tags
campground, mpg