RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
WHY can't everyone leave, especially if you HAVE an RV? I'm missing something here.
Last year we had a hurricane hit here. My DD is a community health nurse and is REQUIRED to work in the shelters. There is no option or you are fired! I worked for the same health department, so I know. I am a nurse practitioner and volunteered to help in that special needs shelter. Those folks had to evacuate their homes and had nowhere else to go. We were rated to hold about 180 and had about 400 people to care for. Many of those folks sought shelter over 100 miles from their coastal homes.

We were in a high school. Folks on cots lining the hallways and in classrooms. I worked the night shift during the height of the storm and we had two nurses for about 100 people on oxygen and CPAP. I had to help toilet some of them. At three in the morning, during the highest winds, three of the four generators quit working. (We were occupying four wings at the school.). We had to move those on oxygen and CPAP during the storm, and believe me, they were not happy! At five in the morning the local sewer system went down and we could not flush toilets! After our shift and when the storm was done, we drove home. There were many flooded roads and electric lines down. My DD had to work there until the last person was able to go home, which was four days later.

So please, don’t judge those who work VERY hard to help their fellow citizens - who have few resources during these very difficult situations. Watch it all on the Weather Channel from your easy chair and marvel at the destruction. Believe me - it’s not as fun as it looks! Some of us cannot flee and leave those who need help flounder on their own.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #62
(Dry Huunday)

Truth!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1536626530085.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	186068  

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #63

why am I not leaving?
I'm almost 100 miles inland and might get slammed, but Ft Bragg is not running away! I spent almost 15 yrs of my 28 here running away - saving the helicopters was the priority My family had to ride out the storms without me. Now I'm the guy who shows up the next morning with a chainsaw to start clearing downed trees from the street and peoples driveways. Coolers of ice and beer standing-by to ease the suffering.... or at least the DW's complaining!!

Phil
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #64

our prayers are with everyone in its path we have decided our camping trip starting this weekend is a no go as our destination is in its path, bummer. leave if you can be safe if you can't
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Truth!!

Boy ainít it.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #66

I had to deal with Harvey last summer. My area has had a few close calls in the 30+ years I've been here, but this was the my first direct hit. Well, almost direct. My area only had superficial damage, but ground zero was only a 40 minute drive north. In fact, the DW and I had taken our Mini-Lite to Goose Island State Park near Rockport just one week prior to landfall for a long weekend getaway. I remember sitting by the bay with a fishing pole in one hand and a cold beer in the other, no better way to relax, when my DW came outside to tell me about a small disturbance near the Caribbean, but not much was expected from it. A week later that area was decimated. We wisely headed west to safety, and I have no regrets even though I personally had little damage.
I visited many friends in the area that got nailed, seeing the damage on TV is nothing like witnessing the devastation first hand. It's genuinely life-changing.
The point of my lengthy tome? Unless you don't have the option, don't take chance of riding a major storm out. Ask anyone who's done it once, and I promise you they will say that they'd never do it again. Don't risk your life, if the call comes to evacuate, then it's time to go. Trust me on this.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #67

Fill your tanks, slides in, awnings in and jacks/levelers down. That's all I have ever done. Been on the coast with a trailer in the driveway for almost 30 years. Live in Hampton Roads, Virginia.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #68

CampingGator,

All the emergency personnel and volunteers who worked before and after Hurricane Harvey saved many lives. Your experience with problems at shelters and hospitals happened here during and after Harvey.

There's no way the rest of us can thank you for your dedication to caring for people in their time of crisis.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #69

As an adjuster I have never seen so many deploy orders. 3 friend adjusters are sitting in Virginia pre-positioned already and when the insurance industry says this storm is going to have historic damage I intend to believe them. Please leave if possible.
Wannabe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Did you all read the part where he is 70 miles inland??

Gotta wonder what the expected winds at his location are?
How much does a hurricane weaken 70 miles inland??
I am 30 miles inland in Virginia and have had a trailer in the driveway for almost 30 years. Just put the levelers / jacks down and slides in and never had an issue.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:36 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

I am just west of Durham, NC and they are expecting that it will hit this area still at a category 1 and at least 20" of rainfall from what I have seen. Our house is on high ground with hills all around it. I did get a couple sandbags for the garage as the hill to my garage allows for some water to come in during heavy rains. Pulled the fiver home from storage tonight. Plan to fill the fresh tank tomorrow and chill the fridge tomorrow. We are good on propane for cooking and fridge. Now I just need DH to get the genny put back together. i'm preparing for the worst and hoping for just some rain, no issues. All grocery stores, home improvement stores and big box stores like walmart, target and big lots had crazy lines and empty shelves today. Water is impossible to get already. Gas stations also had long lines today. Happily, no lines at the diesel only pumps We can't leave because we work in healthcare too. Our neighbors have been eyeing up our trailer saying smart idea. I have a feeling if power is out for days, we will have company for dinner.

To those that live closer to the shore, safe travels if you are able to evacuate. To those that have to stay to care for others or rescue others, please stay safe and thank you for all you do.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:56 AM   #72

I'm from Ohio and you can use my yard if needed, I would pack my tt immediately .I'm watching the weather channel and I've never been in a hurricane BUT you need to LEAVE NOW and be safe
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:12 AM   #73

I know my other post mentioned staying. The hurricane we had last fall was a cat three at most. Frances is projected to be stronger, will stay around longer, and cause flooding. If you CAN get out, please take this seriously and GO! My only intention was to inform folks why some people can’t leave. Last year we saw folks heading south on I-75 with five five gallon gas cans strapped to the roof of their cars! Fortunately for us, Florida requires gas stations near the interstates to have generators so they can keep pumping, but they run out quickly. We have a membership to Sams Club, so that helped because those without a membership could not fill up there.

If you cannot find water at the stores, and even if you have bottled water, fill up every container you have with water. If mine don’t have lids I cover them with plastic wrap. You need a gallon of water for everyone in the house, plus animals. My lab drinks more water than I do. You will need that water for washing up, etc. We almost ran out last year, despite bottled water to drink.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
My problem is how far out the 140mph is, I have saw one hundred miles from the center. . Since I live 70 miles from the coast. If I leave it will be Tuesday morning. Iíll just leave the camper and come back home and ride out the storm then go get the camper
Don't know where you saw that but here is the close to landfall forecast:

72 HRS, VALID AT:
140600Z --- 34.3N 77.1W
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 115 KT, GUSTS 140 KT
WIND RADII VALID OVER OPEN WATER ONLY
RADIUS OF 050 KT WINDS - 080 NM NORTHEAST QUADRANT
070 NM SOUTHEAST QUADRANT
060 NM SOUTHWEST QUADRANT
060 NM NORTHWEST QUADRANT
RADIUS OF 034 KT WINDS - 150 NM NORTHEAST QUADRANT
140 NM SOUTHEAST QUADRANT
100 NM SOUTHWEST QUADRANT
100 NM NORTHWEST QUADRANT

70 miles is a lot, those peak winds never really get very far from the eyewall.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #75
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I am just west of Durham, NC and they are expecting that it will hit this area still at a category 1 and at least 20" of rainfall from what I have seen. Our house is on high ground with hills all around it. I did get a couple sandbags for the garage as the hill to my garage allows for some water to come in during heavy rains. Pulled the fiver home from storage tonight. Plan to fill the fresh tank tomorrow and chill the fridge tomorrow. We are good on propane for cooking and fridge. Now I just need DH to get the genny put back together. i'm preparing for the worst and hoping for just some rain, no issues. All grocery stores, home improvement stores and big box stores like walmart, target and big lots had crazy lines and empty shelves today. Water is impossible to get already. Gas stations also had long lines today. Happily, no lines at the diesel only pumps We can't leave because we work in healthcare too. Our neighbors have been eyeing up our trailer saying smart idea. I have a feeling if power is out for days, we will have company for dinner.

To those that live closer to the shore, safe travels if you are able to evacuate. To those that have to stay to care for others or rescue others, please stay safe and thank you for all you do.
The local authorities are recommending that all evacuees plan on traveling to at least Greensboro if you head west or Columbia, SC if you head southwest.

They are saying now it will stall and meander over inland NC till at least Sunday.

One thing for sure this storm has kept ALL the computers and meteorologists scratching their heads daily!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 09-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #76

I purchased an item called a Water Bob. It's a plastic bladder that fits in a bathtub where you fill it with fresh water before a storm. This way you have a decent supply of potable water stored for later. Not a bad investment.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #77

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Cat 5 storm

Just announced the storm is reaching a category 5 storm.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2019 41 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #78

I'm the emergency management director of a mid-sized town in New England. My advice is to pack up the RV and leave as soon as possible. You'll be moving your rig to safety and taking yourself out of harm's way as well. There's a good chance your home will be without power for a while, at the very least. You can be safe, dry, and comfortable in your rig and you can drive back to check on the house when it's safe to do so.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #79
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Just announced the storm is reaching a category 5 storm.
It is still a Cat 4!
It is possible it will intensify to be a Cat 5 tomorrow and then weaken slightly before landfall...the below is edited from this link slightly to make it easier to read.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres.../110853.shtml?

Tues
FORECAST VALID 11/1800Z 27.2N 66.4W
MAX WIND 125 KT...GUSTS 150 KT.

Weds
FORECAST VALID 12/0600Z 28.7N 69.4W
MAX WIND 130 KT...GUSTS 160 KT.

Weds
FORECAST VALID 12/1800Z 30.5N 72.2W
MAX WIND 130 KT...GUSTS 160 KT.

Thurs
FORECAST VALID 13/0600Z 32.2N 74.5W
MAX WIND 125 KT...GUSTS 150 KT.

Fri
FORECAST VALID 14/0600Z 34.3N 77.1W
MAX WIND 115 KT...GUSTS 140 KT.

Still a very dangerous storm!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 09-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #80

If it were me I'd leave
harpman0824 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg