Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #21

I think everybody should give a little slack to people who LIVE in hurricane zones. This isn't the weather channel. Lots of us have ridden them out in various situations. Remember, the problem in New Orleans was flooding, not wind. If you are in a low area within 100 miles of Wilmington, NC, get what you can out...but you needn't go to Alaska!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #22

When the wind turbine people start calculating tower height and wind speed, they get into surface foliage effects etc..
A decent wind turbine should be about 30 meters high, and well away from any trees etc., to maximize its potential.
You don’t have to be very far into the trees, to see a significant drop in wind speed, at ground level.

However, a Hurricane tends to be a bit more problematic then the typical straight line winds people are fond of for wind turbines. The winds are generally being measured quite a bit above street level, but depending on surroundings or lack of, high winds can get pretty close to the ground because of the violent compact nature of the storm.
I have an 8 to 10 mile reach of open water to my SE, so when they say 125mph winds, that’s what we’re getting more or less, when a storm targets us. Further inland, if you have lots of structures to break the wind, it helps. The biggest issues tend to be the damage from flying debris, and tornado activity.
Older taller trees or diseased trees and poorly built structures are prime targets for hurricane force winds(75mph for a cat 1).......as are, boxlike things that aren’t protected from the wind in a semi sheltered area. Like RV’s and TT.

When Ivan blew through back in 04, it trashed Hattiesburg Ms, on its way north, and was still generating Hurricane force winds when it got close to Pennsylvania. Hattiesburg is quite a ways from the coast. Significant tree damage brought down a lot of power lines, and had them out of power for a while.

Monitor the weather closely and understand, waiting to long to leave, and getting caught on the road with no gas stations open, is a really bad idea.
If you’re going to sit it out, take precautions. If you’re going to leave, don’t wait for the last minute.
If you’re staying, make sure you’re self sufficient for at least a week, depending on where you are. Scrub and fill your bathtub with clean water as full as you can get it, and add a bit of bleach(1/4 cup or so). Use a clean dipper to dip water out of it to flush the toilet, and for hygiene(don’t bath in the tub, use the shower and pour the water over you, Navy style).
Set aside drinking water. Buy it, or fill your own clean jugs. If you think you are going to lose power for an extended period, start cooking and making ice before it’s to late, and you lose power.

People with a little camping experience do a lot better in these types of situations.

Big storms with high winds have a tendency to fall apart from their sheer force, and then reorganize. If it happens closer to land, it may take some punch out of this storm. Fingers crossed, and Prayers sent. A lot can happen in a week, let’s hope for the best.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #23
Happy Keystone Owner

Hurricane Florence

Better not catch you in a Walmart campground. Lol.
Be safe.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #24
(Dry Huunday)

Matthew was a Cat 1. Winds were not an issue. Water. Catastropic flooding occurred. Water is almost always a factor.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #25
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Material things can be replace but lives can not. Move out now before the big rush. If your not one that can not leave do to being required to stay, then stay safe. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #26
Insert witty title here

Unless you are required to stay (emergency workers, hospital staff etc) or are physically unable to leave (nursing home residents, severely handicapped etc) you need to obey evacuation orders. If you stay and get into trouble as a result, I will have ZERO sympathy.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #27
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
You need to hook up and leave. You appear to be located where Florence will come ashore. Almost no way to fully protect your RV and more important yourselves. Leave now!
X2!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #28

But in all seriousness.

By the time it gets to my house it is expected to be a category 1 storm. I'm just going to get gas for the generator and fill up the water tank. I'm on top of a hill and not worried about flooding.

If you want to take a road trip inland to move your camper away from the beach, I will offer you a yard to park it in.

2016 Nights camped in wildcat(14) didn't count previous trailer
2017 Nights camped (44)
2018 Nights camped (29) that's too low. Must work on it.
maskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #29
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskins View Post

THIS! Without a doubt this is the truth! For local governments and businesses as well as citizens. If the forecast was calling for 1/2" of snow on Friday, there were would already be a "Closings" scroll on the TV for Thurday thru Tues.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 09-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #30

Hurricane Florence

I am happy that I do not have to make a decision about hooking up and moving, as we are on the coast of Oregon. If we were home in Durham I might just decide that Stone Mountain Georgia was calling.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #31
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I am happy that I do not have to make a decision about hooking up and moving, as we are on the coast of Oregon. If we were home in Durham I might just decide that Stone Mountain Georgia was calling.

I live 30 miles from the coast in Massachusetts. If that sucker was headed our way, it would be a great time to go check out Pennsylvania.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjoyed View Post
A kiss and a prayer and double check our insurance coverage? Any advice would be great for us newbies!
If you're not planning on leaving, double checking insurance coverage would be my advice. Your insurance company might have some recommendations.... although all ours said was to 'get it to a safe location.' (yeah, right.)

You can't really predict how the wind and water will affect the rv or what direction it will come from.

Sometimes 'hunkering down' is a better option than trying to evacuate and getting caught on the road during a hurricane. As long as you and your loved ones are safe, rvs can be replaced or repaired.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #33

My problem is how far out the 140mph is, I have saw one hundred miles from the center. . Since I live 70 miles from the coast. If I leave it will be Tuesday morning. I’ll just leave the camper and come back home and ride out the storm then go get the camper
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
. If I leave it will be Tuesday morning. I’ll just leave the camper and come back home and ride out the storm then go get the camper
Keep an eye on the evacuations from the coast. They are already doing mandatory evacuations from the Outer Banks.

The one thing you don't want is to get caught in stop and go traffic evacuations. (Been there, done that and it isn't any fun.) People running out of gas, gas stations with no gas, fast food restaurants closed, emergency vehicles stuck in traffic....

Luckily for us, the hurricane took a turn or we would have been on the road directly in the path of what they predicted was a cat 5 storm. You are a lot more important than the rv.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #35
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Unless you are required to stay (emergency workers, hospital staff etc) or are physically unable to leave (nursing home residents, severely handicapped etc) you need to obey evacuation orders. If you stay and get into trouble as a result, I will have ZERO sympathy.
Amen to that!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
...... If you stay and get into trouble as a result, I will have ZERO sympathy.
Ok, we have all figured out your feelings (or lack of) by now.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #37

Hurricanes

Being at the West Coast, we don't have Hurricanes, just wild fires (evacuated 3 times in the last 10 years), Earthquakes and taxes. I have no idea what I would do to protect the RV if I lived from Florida up to NC and in the current situation in SC and up.

What do you do??

on edit - - Sorry, I didn't realize there were threads on hurricanes.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #38
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Being at the West Coast, we don't have Hurricanes, just wild fires (evacuated 3 times in the last 10 years), Earthquakes and taxes. I have no idea what I would do to protect the RV if I lived from Florida up to NC and in the current situation in SC and up.

What do you do??

on edit - - Sorry, I didn't realize there were threads on hurricanes.

The biggest danger of hurricanes is flood water followed by wind damage. Short of parking in a reinforced water tight bunker, the only real way to protect a camper is to haul it out of harms way.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #39

I have booked a campsite in Pigeon Forge TN. I’ll leave the camper there and come back home. If my house it destroyed I want to be able to save some things
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #40
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have booked a campsite in Pigeon Forge TN. I’ll leave the camper there and come back home. If my house it destroyed I want to be able to save some things
Good deal! Safe travels!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express

Tags
campground, mpg