Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #21
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

<snip>

My baby got her learner’s permit and we only have the one vehicle.

Attachment 212181
Oh, great, another one we have to watch out for until he/she gets a couple hundred thousand miles behind the wheel. LOL.

Bet you already heard something like that. Seems to go with the territory when a youngster getting their first license.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #22

You know when you've been taught well, when your father....that NEVER sleeps when someone else is driving....falls asleep for two hours on the road while you're driving.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #23

My 2012 Ford diesel blew up in nowhere WV. Good Sam sent a flat bed and an F350 dually. We were 5 miles to a Ford dealer and 12 miles to a CG where we had a reservation for 3 nights. We all went to the dealer, we rented a car and then followed our fifth wheel to the CG.
A quick $65,000 and we had a new TV.
A good friend once told me any problem can go away with enough money

PS: no charge for the Good Sam services outside our three year membership.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #24

Quote:
This is about the only time I wish it was a manual transmission. I learned to drive on Toyota clutches and always said that if you can drive that, you can drive most anything out there.

It was really nice when my girlfriend’s mom had a Toyota Supra with a manual transmission. That thing was fun to drive!
Ah yes, a manual transmission. AKA: "Millennial Anti-Theft Device

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #25
Now a "Top Member"

Well, I was "lucky" enough to have my camper at the campground already when my truck gave it up. We were heading in to do our visiting things, and the truck started shaking really bad, and the little diesel noise soon became a loud machine gun noise. I say lucky, because we have some good friends who also pull 5th wheels. I finally got one of them to pull my 5th wheel home. The truck didn't fare so well. As 5er Tom said "$65000 later,...". Kinda funny Tom (well, if funny is expensive!), mine was a 2011, and I now have a 2019. I just don't want to go through that experience again!.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #26

Well Doug, once she gets experience and training from you or mom in the truck, and gets her regular drivers license she'll be "dually qualified".......especially if she takes her road test in the dually! If she can parallel park that, she should get an automatic pass!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #27

I too was stuck with a Ford diesel pickup in Jackson, Mississippi in a torrential downpour at the RV pumps at a Flying J. I called GoodSam and they sent the biggest tow truck I had ever seen. Towed our pickup and 38 ft Cedar Creek to a Days Inn and dropped for the night. Said he would come back Monday (next day) and pick the truck up. We stayed at the Days Inn for 3 days and on the 4th day we got our truck back from the Ford dealer. Best place to break down ever, as the Ford dealership was a Truck Dealer and had plenty of diesel mechanics available. We rented a car at the dealer and toured Jacksonville and had a grand time. Truck was repaired and we parted ways with Jacksonville and fond memories of the area. Repairs were covered under warranty. My only thoughts for the future is to never drive on the weekend ever again. Most places were closed and that caused us some anxiety but Good Sam took good care of us and it worked out well.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
... I called GoodSam and they sent the biggest tow truck I had ever seen. Towed our pickup and 38 ft Cedar Creek to a Days Inn and dropped for the night. ... but Good Sam took good care of us and it worked out well.
Like the OP, I have been very apprehensive about the HOW and concerned about the WHO in the event there is a problem with the TV. You answered both questions. Thanks for sharing your experience.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #29
Site Team

Get that girl a car! [emoji6]

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #30

I learned on a stick, on a one ton dump truck so I taught both boys to drive a stick.......... thinking their friends could not drive their vehicle..

boy was I wrong the older son decided he was going to teach his friends...... my younger son drove half way across the state last year to buy his new car with a stick............. he's 31. Always drove a stick.

Any way we met a couple few years back that had a truck wreck while in PA. No injuries but the truck could not be driven back to CA. The campground owner recommended a great body shop and put their camper on a grass site that could share hookups until they were ready to leave.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #31

My old 05 F350 blue a EGR cooler on the Oregon coast. Good Sam towed it 70 miles to the Ford dealer and my extended warranty provided a rental. They refused to move my 5th wheel 6 miles up the road to another park because I was already in a park. Problem was our time was up and no spots were available. A nice camper moved my 5er for me. I than switched my RV towing to AAA. 4 days later we picked up our repaired truck. Latter replaced it with a Ram 3500.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #32

It happens...

Yup. It happens. Our TV caught fire in Wyoming between Casper and Douglas. Fire Dept. responded, police called a tow company, who called KOA in Douglas, towed both vehicles there, dropped 5r in overflow camp spot, then took our truck to repair shop that insurance wanted us to use. Next day, KOA staff drove us to repair shop, then they moved our RV for us into an actual spot, where we stayed for 2 days waiting for our truck to be looked over. We did have our motorcycle in the toyhauler, so we were able to explore. First thing we did was buy a new fire extinguisher for the 5r, we had attempted to put out the fire ourselves. We did get back on the road fairly quick, though the truck was not right, it got us back home, then it went in for repairs for 8 weeks (thankfully insurance covered it). This is why I always add an extra day or two for travel, just in case. We still somehow limped home and made it back to work on Monday.
tmp1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #33

Good Sam

Good Sam Roadside Assist is a good bet. Check them out and compare to AAA and other plans.
elDavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #34
RogerD

For Anderson Hitches

A good reminder that "stuff" can happen. So, for those of us using Anderson hitches, better always carry a 2 inch long 1/4" Allen wrench socket and a 15/16 box end and 15/16 socket to be able to remove the Anderson receiver from the 5er king pin coupler in case a tow vehicle doesn't have a gooseneck ball in the bed of their truck. Also, you will need a torque wrench (and the 15/16 socket) to be able to remove the base unit from your truck and put it on another that does have a gooseneck ball if needed. I always carry these tools - just in case!
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
A good reminder that "stuff" can happen. So, for those of us using Anderson hitches, better always carry a 2 inch long 1/4" Allen wrench socket and a 5/16 box end and 5/16 socket to be able to remove the Anderson receiver from the 5er king pin coupler in case a tow vehicle doesn't have a gooseneck ball in the bed of their truck. Also, you will need a torque wrench (and the 5/16 socket) to be able to remove the base unit from your truck and put it on another that does have a gooseneck ball if needed. I always carry these tools - just in case!
That is good advice.

I also carry the tools it would take to either remove the coupler from the pin or move the frame out of my truck and into another one.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #36

One could get a copy of Auto Trader, buy suitable truck for the best possible price, continue trip, then sell the truck back home when the original truck is repaired. Loss on the sale may not be all that much and in some cases (given the deal was good and price differences by geographical area) one might even break even.

Might be cheaper than some of the alternatives but it does assume one has the means to purchase a used truck at the drop of the hat.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
That is good advice.

I also carry the tools it would take to either remove the coupler from the pin or move the frame out of my truck and into another one.
The same goes for a Reese Revolution hitch on Rockwood and Flagstaff 5ers if you have it engaged. You will have to unengage it in order for someone else to pull it.

To OPs question I had my transmission go out on me in NE Washington but the RV was already parked. A week and $5000 later and we got the truck back with a new transmission. Enjoyed that extra week in a rental car wandering all over the place.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Does the trip come to a stop until the truck is repaired/replaced?

Do you want a (who freaking knows)?

Hire a shipper on U-ship?

I need to know! My baby got her learner’s permit and we only have the one vehicle.

Attachment 212181

Hmmm. I see you in her....but she is so pretty????
Buddy of mine has a daughter who is beautiful. Funny part is that she looks like him and he ain’t. I will try and scratch up a pic.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #39
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Hmmm. I see you in her....but she is so pretty????
Buddy of mine has a daughter who is beautiful. Funny part is that she looks like him and he ain’t. I will try and scratch up a pic.

I have long said the kids get their looks from their Momma but their mouth from their daddy. They’re pretty, but are a-holes.

Poor kids. This mouth causes a lot of angst and apologies.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
...So, for those of us using Anderson hitches....
LOL, I thought I was the only one who carried the socket/Allen wrench and torque wrench for the Andersen. Also need it at the dealer when it goes there (or the one time it went there)

I had forgotten about this scenario. Thanks for bringing it up.

Btw. What is the box end wrench for? I never needed it.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, truck, wheel