Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Summer2Go

I am thinking about investing in a decent GPS system, maybe a back up camera.

Anyone have experience with these? Amazon has a Garmin system with camera, a little pricey. Are they worth it?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Garmin makes good products. I've used many of their GPS units, and have been pleased with them. I haven't personally tried the rear view cameras, but have heard several good reviews of them.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #3

if you go cheap, you get cheap. You get what you pay for.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #4

I have a Garmin RV760

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

I've been looking at Tadi Brothers, they look good and the reviews are good also. http://www.tadibrothers.com/products...SsYaAi8v8P8HAQ

I'd be interested if anyone has experience with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #6

GPS

I have and use GPS, on my phone, and a stand alone in the truck, or the one that came with the Jeep.
I have decided that rule one should be: Kind of know where you are going already, the GPS lies. People have forgotten how to pre-check maps, and get an idea of the lay of the land, Then they end up on small dirt roads with no turn-around, or on the wrong side of a fence, etc. The one in our jeep often tries to get us off the Interstate to take about 15-30 turns to get the same place.
Knowing "that aint right" is a help.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

I have had three different GPS over the years starting with the original TOM TOM... they were all good but you had to know how it was set... i.e. least use of freeways, quickest route, shortest route... one setting was not always the best for all destinations...

for the last 2-3 years I now rely on my iphone Google Maps app... best GPS going as I can talk to it and tell it to "take me to Zion National Park" or "Lake Cumberland State Park campground" and as long as it has a good data signal it will find the address (which I may not know) and find a route to it. The data it uses is usually more up to date than a dedicated GPS unit.

As hankpac says... you should at least have studied a destination before getting in your rig and have an idea where you are going and what route(s) may get you there... you CAN do that on your GPS or smartphone, just not easy to do while driving.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #8

iPhones:

One note about iPhones regarding GPS data: you do not have to have cell signal to use GPS. I have a topographic App, that I use when hunting. It works flawlessly, and shows exact terrain, trails, roads, etc. As long as you have battery, you have a map. Geo Caching also works without cell signal. Some map programs require cell signal in order to pinpoint your location. I consider that a weakness of programing.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #9

Yes, my iphone will work with GPS even in remote areas without cell service... I was referring in previous post to the ability of the smartphone to FIND a destination even without knowing an exact address or even city... and for that you have to have a good data signal. Often I know the name of the campground I want to get to, but I do not know the address. The voice command "take me to St George Island state park Florida will show me a route, often several routes that I can pick from before hitting Start, to get turn by turn directions verbal directions from Google Maps.

I still use my GPS device as well as the iphone, as that is programmed to show me gas stations and places to eat as well as a digital speed indication and a comparison to the posted speed limit.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #10

Have had a Garmin for the car for several years. Very happy with it. Just bought a Garmin RV760 because of the back up camera. I wired the camera to my running lights for power. That way, I can see what's behind me without having to go into reverse. Should be handy for making sure I've completely passed someone before I move back into the lane.

The RV760 is geared to rv's ( duh ). Has info about campgrounds, rv parks, truck stops, etc. When you first set it up, it asks for a lot of info about your rig ( height, lenght, weight, etc. ). Supposed to help keep you out of trouble spots like low overpasses, etc. But they do toss in their disclaimer that they offer no guarantees.

It does come with lifetime map & traffic updates. That's a big plus. If you've ever seen what map updates cost for systems, you know. I think you get 4 updates a year.

Bit of caution though. Garmin sell a system called the Dezl760 ( may have spelled that incorrectly ). That is geared toward truckers.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #11

I have had a Rand McNally RV7720 (now sold by CW) for 4 years now. Not the cheapest, but comes with lifetime map updates and is designed for RV use. Pros: tell it how tall your RV is and it will route you around low bridges and keep you off restricted routes (propane, Parkways, etc); has a good search engine for campgrounds, rest areas, Walmarts and even wineries; easy to set exclusion areas so it never routes me through Washington DC; large screen for old eyes to see; decent at picking the best routes for a truck towing a camper (decent not perfect). Con's: sometimes will take you on every back road in the county to save 0.2 miles; sometimes doesn't know what side of the street your destination is on; only warns you of low bridges IF you're on a pre-selected route (doesn't work if you're just driving around). Overall, I'd buy another one or recommend this one to a friend.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #12
DDC

I bought the Garmin RV 660LMT 6-Inch Navigator so far it is very good not cheap, I did not add the back up camera it is about a hundred more and I did not need it.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #13

Have had 2 Garmins and couldn't be more pleased. Yes, you still need to use some common sense if all of a sudden you suspect the GPS unit is lost or confused which has happened a couple of times. However, we would never leave home without it, excellent unit and very reliable!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
I've been looking at Tadi Brothers, they look good and the reviews are good also. Backup Monitor & Camera - Tadibrothers

I have #90123 wireless two camera unit and it works very well. My RV is aluminum sided with rear kitchen and the monitor never loses connection.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
I've been looking at Tadi Brothers, they look good and the reviews are good also. Backup Monitor & Camera - Tadibrothers

I just purchased a rear view camera set up from Tadibrothers. Should be here this week. I'll report back once I've unboxed and hopefully installed it.
During my research, I found them to be quite a bit more expensive than other options, but I also think the product should be better (get what you pay for). Hopefully that's the case.
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #16

Truck has built in GPS and NAV system with OnStar, but I prefer my dash mounted Garmin 2455. More robust data.

My observation camera worked 2 hours. When I get back home I will call Furrion and try and figure out why it failed, poof. When it worked, it was worth the money!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
7 Year Class A RV'er

I've had the Garmin RV760 in the coach for a year and love it. Really nice. They sell a sort of silicone mat that you can mount it to and it just sits on the dash. Absolutely does not move. I gave the small Garmin in my ?Jeep and got the wireless camera to God with it. Works great, too. I'm sold on Garmin now, having used a few other units in the past. They are a little pricey but seem to be worth it.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #18

My Garmin is not the RV model but I was able to add the POI for low bridges/tunnels from this place - Low Clearance POI - GPS Data

Cost about $15 and is compatible with many brands of GPS units.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #19

I might add a word of caution if you should be thinking about Garmin. I was reading the lifetime map & traffic updates are now only good for the original registered owner. So should you buy used, you'd lose one of the best features.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:58 PM   #20

Instead of spending the money on a Garmin, I just use my iphone or ipad mini (w/ suction cup on my window.) I use Google maps and AllStays RV & Camp app which is sufficient for me. I did invest in a rear camera w/ night vision as I drive frequently at night.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera