Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Yep, selling, renting and loaning stuff to people you know often ends bad.
Probably should have had the neighbor sign an "as-is" legal doc.
I did. Printed a B.O.S and Noted: AS IS in the Doc.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 PM   #22

In California, a private party auto sale is always implied "as is" unless specified otherwise in writing.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
In California, a private party auto sale is always implied "as is" unless specified otherwise in writing.
Not sure about Nebraska, but I want to say it's the same here.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #24

I did the same thing ONCE. the guy set his keys on the back bumper and then opened his tailgate crushing the metal into the shape of his jailer size key ring and 12 plus keys. asked me why I didn't tell him that the dent was there.

so I asked him where his keys were?
Why was the response.
he got them out of the truck and gave them to me. I walked back and set them on his back bumper and told him to drop his tailgate... which he stupidly did - putting another dent very similar to the one he did earlier about 4 inches away.
when I told him he now needed to fix 2 of his dents he got peed off.
you cannot fix stupid.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #25

Well they don’t have to be neighbors or friends. I recently sold my houseboat since my son passed away and he was the main user in the last couple of years and it was costing about 1k mo to keep it. I sold it through craigslist. The buyer had been calling and negotiating price for over a month. At one point the marina kicked him off and called me because he was on the boat trying to open compartments. He had several family members with him and one said we are buying this boat! The marina personnel said you stay off until I call the owner. Short story going forward. We did a complete walkthrough and they wrote a check. The insurance company wouldn’t continue the policy unless it was pulled for inspection. They did the pull which is $2500, then he called me claiming some things underneath weren’t what he thought and he wanted me to go down and look at it but he wouldn’t be there. I thought well I have to go and get my furniture and personal stuff that I left for him to use anyway because they wanted it for the holiday. When I got there all i saw was minor and normal for a boat that was in the water for 15 years. But all my personal stuff was gone! I called him and he wanted 75k back so he could make repairs and I refused, and asked about my belongings he said it went in the dumpster. I went by the boat yard a month later and they were remolding, carpet,paint, different type siding and so on. By now you know he wanted me to fund his remodel. I doubt that 3k$ Ekornes chairs went into the dumpster either.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #26
Broken Toe

I have no issues selling to or buying from friends and relatives. However, when I horse-trade, I tend to go for the jugular. It's just the way I am.

Just know that after the deal is concluded, if we are still on speaking terms... That means I was being nice and have left something on the table. It don't happen often...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #27
OldSoldiers

OR family.
OldSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #28

Ekornes are sweet chairs.
My parents have a pair of them....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #29

WHY are you step toeing around the Questions? I would have been like dude ... you already backed into the trailer? OMG I drove it X miles and never did that and you have it 2 min and whack .... my poor truck...

I recon the first ding is always the hardest to get over. Maybe your not that close as neighbors but I would have been very honest and pointed out who did the damage. Honestly your actions are opening you up to "potential issues your fearing" but yes when you waxed it the day before you sort of know where all the dings are.

By the way all 2x4 are the same dimensions ...

Nip the concern about what ever you think might happen now by being honest and point blank and I would even make a joke about it along the way.

Next time you see him I would be like so .... what did you bump into this time?? Maybe hand him a beer while you ask..

In my dealings with friends in the past as an employee and me as a Boss, I made it extremely clear that there is professional and personal Version of me. In fact there was 1 situation where I needed to really harp on my friend and I started the conversation out as this is your boss talking... what happened and why you mess up.. blah blah reprimand, then I hung up the call. 4 min latter I called him back and the first thing I said was " I hear your boss is an ass" Point being if you are epic clear with people and exadurate it you should be fine.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:55 PM   #30

Glad I am not alone. I've always tried to be a good neighbor and loan things out, but have usually been burned when item was returned.. Something is bent, or broken or parts missing. A few weeks ago, my new neighbor approached me.."We let our backyard lawn get to high, and our battery mower will only cut for about 5 min. Could I borrow your power mower?" I threw every bit of my "nice guy" aside and said, (as hard as it was for me), "You know, I really like you as a neighbor, and don't want to risk that friendship, so it will have to be a no. My mower is old and something could happen to it and I don't want to even think about blaming you. Sorry." He said OK, sounds good, and walked away. Nothing has change between us, and I don't have to grit my teeth when looking at him...
"If I would have known I was going to live this long, I would've taken better care of myself."
Fun4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
WHY are you step toeing around the Point.

if you are epic clear with people and exadurate it you should be fine.
what he said.

or tell him the next time he is backing up... "keep going until it sounds expense, then back up another inch or two."

but honestly this will not stop until you remind him its buyer beware and as is. He will have it for 3 months and tear a seat of the transmission a new one and blame you somehow.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #32

Ok...time for another update. So Wednesday my neighbor has appt to get his 5ver hitch from his old truck to one I sold him. My truck had a hard cover that he removed and sold. So he's on his way to hitch place and one of the "After market" rail caps...(dealer installed them) comes flying off the rail.
BACK UP...Looking for truck, find this one on-line. No topper, no rail caps. Go to dealer and there's a topper and rail caps on truck. Bought truck and those have been on there since then. He comes over that night to tell what happened. Told him the dealer put crappy caps on and I never got around to changing them. Told him where to look for OEM GMC caps with emblem stamped on them. Thursday he text to show me the new caps he has coming. He's getting better about this and it may have helped that I talked his wife into letting him get Cab Lights for the truck as GMC was never big about putting Cab lights on their 3/4 or 1 tons and he likes the looks of lights.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:07 AM   #33
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You are correct never sell anything to friends or neighbors.

Or family...especially not family!!!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Or family...especially not family!!!
Wife is in that boat right now with two properties she and her brother received from their aunt passing and their mother passing. They allowed her brothers boys to live in the houses. One is in the process of purchasing the property and the other is in the process of being EVICTED !!
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
You sold the truck, THE HOUSE IS NEXT !

Yup!
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:48 AM   #36

Here is the latest with the neighbor and truck. Yesterday was the Maiden Voyage with the new/my old truck. He pulls out and everything is looking great. His travel time is about 1.5 hrs. About 3 hrs after they left I get a text...oh boy...here we go. "Hey ! ....what a TRUCK ! seems like twice the power of my old one. Gas mileage better, towed better, handled better. Had to make a emergency stop and the truck brakes, brake controller did a fantastic job controlling the trailer. THANK YOU for giving me such a great truck."

2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab.
2007 40' Montana 5ver 14,500 lbs.

All is well in my life...and his now.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #37

Another update. So the neighbor was out for two weeks and just returned home today. The other Sunday when they got to CG he text and told me how much he loved the truck and how well it towed. Then Monday he text to tell me he realized they drove to CG and electric brakes we're not working. He asked if I had problems (with sarcasm that I did something to mess up brakes and didn't tell him)...which I didn't, I'd moved my trailer in late April and early May and brakes worked fine. So we did some text trouble shooting for a few days and he took truck to dealer to get it check...Integrated controller worked fine at both bumper and inside bed connections. He messed with it for a few more days and gave up. They cancelled a trip next week till brakes are figured out. So he's backing into driveway today and I'm standing in my driveway and I hear his trailer brakes activating. He gets out of truck and I holler..."NICE BRAKES" he says YEAH ! they're working. I had noticed when he left two weeks ago that his pigtail from the 5ver looked awfully nice for a 2007 Trailer. Sure enough, he'd replaced it and never told me that. Well, he didn't have a good connection on the ground wire at the trailer and it had pulled loose and was only holding on by a couple of strands of wire. I could tell he felt like an Arse after being so sarcastic with me earlier and all he could say was..."yeah...I f'd up and didn't get pigtail wired good enough. All I know is...I sold him a damn fine truck and didn't take advantage of him.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Another update. So the neighbor was out for two weeks and just returned home today. The other Sunday when they got to CG he text and told me how much he loved the truck and how well it towed. Then Monday he text to tell me he realized they drove to CG and electric brakes we're not working. He asked if I had problems (with sarcasm that I did something to mess up brakes and didn't tell him)...which I didn't, I'd moved my trailer in late April and early May and brakes worked fine. So we did some text trouble shooting for a few days and he took truck to dealer to get it check...Integrated controller worked fine at both bumper and inside bed connections. He messed with it for a few more days and gave up. They cancelled a trip next week till brakes are figured out. So he's backing into driveway today and I'm standing in my driveway and I hear his trailer brakes activating. He gets out of truck and I holler..."NICE BRAKES" he says YEAH ! they're working. I had noticed when he left two weeks ago that his pigtail from the 5ver looked awfully nice for a 2007 Trailer. Sure enough, he'd replaced it and never told me that. Well, he didn't have a good connection on the ground wire at the trailer and it had pulled loose and was only holding on by a couple of strands of wire. I could tell he felt like an Arse after being so sarcastic with me earlier and all he could say was..."yeah...I f'd up and didn't get pigtail wired good enough. All I know is...I sold him a damn fine truck and didn't take advantage of him.

And hopefully, he knows that now too!

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal