Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
MI Camperz

I couldn't believe my eyes

Our CG is seasonal and occasional. 700 seasonal sites and 400 occasional sites. I have seen many a holiday w/e come and go with large crowds.
This is the first I've seen here or anywhere I've camped where people pull out and leave their bagged garbage on the site. Rows of campsites left this way.
My guess is one site did it and the neighboring sites followed suit. They were all left at the roadside as if it were set out at home for "garbage day".
The CG had to go around in a pickup and collect all those bags, thrown out chairs, boxes, etc. etc. Hmmmmph! Guess they never heard the saying...Leave only your footprints.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #2

Only thing I can think of is maybe they are used to staying where trash is picked up curbside from each site. I've been in a few KOA's that do this.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Our CG is seasonal and occasional. 700 seasonal sites and 400 occasional sites. I have seen many a holiday w/e come and go with large crowds.
This is the first I've seen here or anywhere I've camped where people pull out and leave their bagged garbage on the site. Rows of campsites left this way.
My guess is one site did it and the neighboring sites followed suit. They were all left at the roadside as if it were set out at home for "garbage day".
The CG had to go around in a pickup and collect all those bags, thrown out chairs, boxes, etc. etc. Hmmmmph! Guess they never heard the saying...Leave only your footprints.
Yeah that's a bummer - but it could have been worse. At least the garbage was bagged and left at the roadside along with the other items.

Any idea how this started?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Yeah that's a bummer - but it could have been worse. At least the garbage was bagged and left at the roadside along with the other items.

Any idea how this started?
I'm going with Bearcat's guess that some may be accustomed to this service from KOA. Once one or two did it, it probably caught on as "the norm".
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

Or, it may be the way the campground does it. Did you ask at the office? I have been in a couple where they told me to leave it at the end of the drive in the morning and they would drive by and pick it up.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
MI Camperz

I asked the girl who was picking up the trash and she said it is not how they do it. Like I said, never saw this before. Must be a presumption from somewhere else and it caught on. Maybe they'll specify in the welcome pack.
Who knows. I was just super surprised. Less so now that I know it is a practice other places. Gives it a reasonable explanation.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Always Learning

Funny enough, our one-night stop was that way. When I told my daughter to take the garbage out at the next campground the next day, I found it out at the end of the site. I reminded her that it was a one-time thing.

Fortunately no one else picked up on it!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #8

KOA Rushmore handed out a yellow trash bag for regular and blue for recycles at check-in and told us to just set it at the end of the site for pick-up. First time I had this happen. Stayed in four other KOA's but did not have trash p/u.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #9

We were at Mohican last weekend and they had curb side pick up. They came around each night around 7:00 to pick it up.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #10

ABC campground in Branson, Mo has curbside pick up have it out by 9 am and they pick it up. Not something I am use to. It gives me another reason to walk the dog. But each cg has their own rules and I go by them.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
NELA

Where we were this weekend (a State Park) there was little choice by evening as to what to do with your bagged garbage.

The caretakers seemed to only come through once a day....on a holiday weekend????...and by evening the few cans were packed full and people were placing the bags by the cans. And these people claim they have a very bad raccoon problem....ya think?

The other State Park we've gone to has very prompt garbage collection...*by the hosts*....at least twice a day.

Garbage was collected by paid state workers at the one we stayed in this weekend.

Go figger.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #12

Castaways in Ocean City MD has curbside pickup. It took me by surprised the first time I saw it. I'm one that normally takes trash out (to a dumpster when available) in the evening, it helps to keep critters away.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #13

They are all that way at outdoor adventures, always been, employees are lazy..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #14

Lake Rudolph in Santa Claus, IN does trash pick up. Only place we go to that does it.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel702 View Post
KOA Rushmore handed out a yellow trash bag for regular and blue for recycles at check-in and told us to just set it at the end of the site for pick-up. First time I had this happen. Stayed in four other KOA's but did not have trash p/u.
We stayed in that same campground! I remember the bags! That was a great KOA!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #16

the place we used to seasonal and the place we are at now seasonal both picked and pick up garbage 2 times a day.Only places around us that dont do site garbage pick up would be the state parks,that i know of.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #17

It all depends on the cg - so I always ask when we check in so I know. The beach campground we frequent goes around and picks up the trash bags at the site around noon. They also have a truck at the cg store to throw it into if you don't want to leave it at your site (which is a good idea as the pesky seagulls love to raid it - just hate to come back from the beach and find your trash strewn all about). The Maryland state parks, you have to take it to the dumpster.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #18

Our CG has curbside pick-up daily, both for the seasonal and non-seasonal areas. They also have a central dumpster if you want to do your own.

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Gettysburg KOA has noon trash pickup but the trash was picked up almost immediately as the campground personnel were always driving around working on the campground. The staff was awesome.

I reported two poison ivy spots and the staff (John) beat me back to the campsite. He pulled the vines and made sure I was happy that the site was clear before he left.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
MI Camperz

It puts it in a better perspective knowing this is a common practice, although I've been all over Michigan, Ontario, Indiana, and Ohio (oh plz, Ohio LOL)....and have never seen this before.

p.s. Anytime I mention OHIO, I have to give a dig....it's a Michigan/Ohio thing...just so ya know...mean it in a spirit of rivalry. But honestly, Ohio? LMAO.