Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #1

I have a question about a 5th wheel

I have tryed looking on the fourms but i could not find anything, does a 5th wheel have to ride level , i know my trailer does, but my brother inlaw his 5th wheel is 25ft tandom axle, and the front sits really high, is that normal , its just that it dosen't look right, but he won't ask anybody for advice, but he does listen to me, thanks all
Kevin
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Kevin, you are right on.

The 5th wheel should ride level just like your TT does. The higher the nose of the 5th wheel, the lower the gas mileage due to wind resistance (already higher than your TT due to the larger frontal area).

Additionally, the higher the nose, the lower the butt. Any difficult campground most likely will be causing damage to his aft structure (like removing his stabilizers in a ground strike).

He should look into raising his pin box if possible in order to ride level or adding a lift kit to raise the camper on the axles. The dealer should have adjusted his pin box before he left the lot.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #3

Thanks Herk, my brother inlaw bought the trailer used and just some one put the hitch in, but he thinks its correct,, but i hate to see whats happening to the rear tires on the 5th wheeler
Thanks Again
Kevin
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #4

how much clearance should u have between the bed and the truck.
my first trailer, i hit with the truck a couple of times.
my current one looks like it could stand to have the front lowered a couple inches but i have concerns abt the bed/trailer clearance.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #5

When a trailer is not level, fifth wheel or pull behind, it drastically shifts how the weight is distributed on a tandem or triple axle trailer. Even a few degrees from level will result in unequal distribution of weight between axles. Low in the front and the front axle/tires will carry a greater portion of the weight. Low in the rear and the rear axle/tires will carry a greater portion of the weight.

We have a neighbor with a fifth wheel which was very high in the front. He kept having blow outs with his tires. I told him to level the trailer out and it would probably remedy the problem. He didn't believe me at first until others told him the same. He finally leveled it out and his tire problem resolved itself. The rear tires were carrying most of the load and were overloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
how much clearance should u have between the bed and the truck.
my first trailer, i hit with the truck a couple of times.
my current one looks like it could stand to have the front lowered a couple inches but i have concerns abt the bed/trailer clearance.
Generally 6" of clearance is a MINIMUM. If you tow much on uneven terrain 8" to 9" is preferred, although sometimes difficult to obtain. I have to be careful as well. I have hit my bed rails on several occasions.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Glenn was thinking much clearer than me. This is the deal breaker for a level camper. He is seriously overloading the rear axle and tires.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #7

that's good to know (6" min). i will see if i can lower the front of my trailer a little without getting too close to the bed. i'm thinking that will change the tire wear on my rt front.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel