Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I thought they were for finding your trl it would stink if after a few drinks I walked into wrong tv. JK. My wife always wants to set stuff up took her o ce we’re she set up then put away never been touched since
Freind of mine says he brings mother in law along to keep rodents away......
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
Blue LED lights don't attract bugs. They appear to think the blue lights repel them; which they do not.

I'm certain we've all done something that others have found offensive, but...this is America and people have a choice.
Not directed at you Ballistic, but has anyone noticed a recent tendency of people in this country to use 'America/rights' as an excuse to behave badly or be an inconsiderate neighbor lately?
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #23
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
The thing I miss about ocean cruising is if someone anchored next to you is being a jerk, you can simply up-anchor and move.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
The thing I miss about ocean cruising is if someone anchored next to you is being a jerk, you can simply up-anchor and move.
The wheels on RVs enable the same action
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:42 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The wheels on RVs enable the same action
But it's a PITA. No stabilizers on a boat! Or a campsite to pack up. Just pull anchor!
Old 02-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #26
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Not directed at you Ballistic, but has anyone noticed a recent tendency of people in this country to use 'America/rights' as an excuse to behave badly or be an inconsiderate neighbor lately?
This 'America/rights' (remove America and insert Alaska), mantra has been going on in Alaska since 1959. Alaskans are forever voicing opinions, making statements through thought and deed. Sort of the nature of the beast. It's only the 10% that use it as an excuse to behave badly and usually the "system" catches up with them.

As far as RV lighting goes, our camping season does not lend itself to darkness, so it's a non-issue for us.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post

Reminds me of the time we rented a houseboat on Lake Powell. We pulled in to a nice cove to anchor for the day. Near the entrance to the cove was a large houseboat. As we entered they had awful music blasting. After we passed by and anchored about 300 yards away the music stopped, only to return each time another houseboat entered. Several boats turned around and went elsewhere. That was the point.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #28

This is one of those threads which shows we old guys have way too much time on our hands. But I am always glad to get some helpful tips on elephant control.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:55 AM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm always amazed at these threads where someone willingly books a campsite within 15' of another campsite and then complains how they can't stand someone having lights, music playing and a campfire. It's like they believe there's an imaginary wall around their campsite and (insert James Earl Jones voice here) "No one shall invade!"

I'm all about courtesy and following rules of the campground but if you really believe that if your neighbor plays music, even just loud enough for them to hear it, that you won't hear it 15' away has no concept of reality. Same with smoke and lights. There is no way for my neighbor to build a campfire and me to expect the smoke go straight up and not invade my "private space" just a few feet away.

If you don't enjoy neighbors, don't visit 95% of all campgrounds in the US.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:03 PM   #30

If you are a true RV'er you learn to accept that everyone is different and you need to learn to accept them as they are. Don't look for things to complain about and everyone will be much happier.
Dale Meyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:03 PM   #31
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm always amazed at these threads where someone willingly books a campsite within 15' of another campsite and then complains how they can't stand someone having lights, music playing and a campfire. It's like they believe there's an imaginary wall around their campsite and (insert James Earl Jones voice here) "No one shall invade!"

I'm all about courtesy and following rules of the campground but if you really believe that if your neighbor plays music, even just loud enough for them to hear it, that you won't hear it 15' away has no concept of reality. Same with smoke and lights. There is no way for my neighbor to build a campfire and me to expect the smoke go straight up and not invade my "private space" just a few feet away.

If you don't enjoy neighbors, don't visit 95% of all campgrounds in the US.
If someone is that uptight, they really shouldn't be in a campground. Campfires and joviality is to be expected. It's the going out of your way to be a jerk that's not. Like having a fire when the wind is clearly blowing the smoke directly at a neighbor's site (maybe have a fire on a calmer day?) or lighting your site up like the Midway.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #32

This is why I prefer boondocking.

Usually nobody close like in developed campgrounds and very few will waste power on all night lighting.

As for repelling pests? They come for food so good "housekeeping" keeps their visits to a minimum.

I'm sure that eventually the decorative lighting will be added to campground rules just like all the others that were added because people couldn't show consideration for others.

We've evolved into a society where people feel they are the only ones that matter. Been happening for years.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
We've evolved into a society where people feel they are the only ones that matter. Been happening for years.
Yep, been happening for many years. I remember my grandparents sitting around a campfire with their friends saying the same things.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:22 PM   #34

This is true but a couple times a year we like go to a campground, to sit and watch people....... after about a week we have had enough and go home to watch the turkeys, deer, eagles and the hawks.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:24 PM   #35

Thanks GrapeHound - now I know I'm old not only because the music is too loud but because the lights are too bright!

FWIW, I never suggested that the folks with the rope lights should be tossed out of the park or that I felt I needed to pack up & leave. I just think when you're in a park where your neighbors are close by (like most parks now days) you need to give a little thought to the impact of what you do on others. That doesn't mean no lights, no music, no loud breathing - it just means be a bit considerate of those around you. Maybe I should have thanked those folks for keeping the elephants at bay!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:28 PM   #36

We have led lighting under our rig that I turn on when it gets dark and when we turn in for the night it gets turned off.
mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:29 PM   #37

Can’t believe no one’s mentioned the loud generator running to power the led’s.
Werk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #38
Maximus

The lights are there for a reason and that is to keep mice and packrats away. The lights dissuade the critters form climbing up your tires and into your camping vehicle or truck engine compartment.

Most wiring these days comes from China and gone are the days when the outer sheathe of the wire was rubber. The Chines use plastic which has a large Soybean base content in the material which rats and mice love to eat.

On our very first camping trip we camped just outside Bryce Canyon. When we turned in and all was quiet, within 10 minutes the mice were in the trailer and ate through all the boxes and bags of food within minutes. In that short time there was mouse crap on our table. They had a field day because Travel Trailers are full of holes which mice and Pack Rats see as a welcome sign. So I got up and fortunately had some glue strips so I laid them out and went back to lay in the bed. In 5 minutes I had 3 mice. I threw the strip outside and intended to take care of it in the morning and laid out more strips. In another 5 minutes I had 2 more mice. In the morning the strips and the mice were gone. I suspect some other interloper had a nice meal of mice.

Fast forward. We went to Kartchner Caverns and saw many TT and Trucks with light strips around their trailers, around their Trucks, and inside of the engine compartment. Well by that time I was just as curious as you. So I asked the camp host what gives with all the lights. He said the area around Kartchner Caverns is inundated with Pack Rats and the lights prevent the rodents from crossing the perimeter that the lights provide and getting into your vehicles.

Now mind you if these pests eat the insulation off your car computer or the wiring in the camper what ever it is, this can have some devastating effects.
It can be so detrimental to your car or truck so as to mess up the engine timing and blow your engine. I know people personally that had to pay $10,000 to have engine replaced. The computers that run your vehicles ignition and timing of the engine and the computers themselves can be damaged costing you thousands.

So in closing try to be a little more tolerant to this type of lightning as it can save people from having to tow their cars or trucks to a shop which might be hundreds or thousands of miles from their home to have the repairs done and you know they will have you by the short hairs.

The first thing you can do is to make your trailer or RV rodent proof by meticulously examining the entire bottom side of your camping vehicle and making absolutely certain there are no holes leading to the underbody of your camper. Even a hole as small as a penny will allow mice in AND THE WILL GET IN. They say any hole a mouse can get his nose in will pass his or her body.

These animals are relentless in their foraging for food and you are the Roach Coach that brings them what they want.

Most Travel trailers have what I call "Plastic Cardboard" on the bottom and it is not worth the powder it would take to blow it to hell. This stuff is pure crap and along the edges it is FULL OF GAPS THAT THE RODENTS WILL PASS THROUGH.

Before I replaced my entire bottom with 1/16 aluminum sheet and sealed up all the cracks and crevices we had another experience with Pack Rats near Lone Pine. We went to bed and within minutes the pack rats were in our ceiling. The plastic Crap is a joke and the manufactures are laughing all the way to the bank. The Pack Rats were so bad that we had to leave two days early.

Travel trailers are meant to be parked in your driveway and look pretty.
My wife and I have a saying and it is this.

"If you ain't working on your trailer you ain't camping".

Every trip brings experience and when you get home you have to make improvements. It is the law of the jungle.

If you think your trailer or camper of any sort is safe just look under your sinks and see the huge gaping hole that the pipes pass through. You could shove your fist through those holes and that my friend is where the rats come through. They come in through the cracks on the bottom though the holes in the floor where the pipes and wires come up through. You need to THROUGHLY RAT PROOF YOUR CAMPERS WHAT EVER THEY ARE if you expect to go into their domain then be prepaired to do battle with the rats and mice. If these rats die in your roof you will have a smell that will cost you thousands to get rid of and usually means reducing the roof to the bare rafters and then restart the restoration.

Another word of warning. If you leave any bits of food out or a trash can YOU WILL GET SKUNKS OR RACOONS UNDER YOUR TRAILER AT NIGHT.

We once inadvertently spilled some un-popped kernels of popcorn on the ground and guess what? Skunks were under our trailer that evening. If you open your door at night do not go out until you are sure there are no critters under the trailer or YOU WILL GET SPRAYED. We know a person that this happened to. Do not under any circumstance leave your trailer door open even during the day as a skink will come in. This happened to some friends or ours. That applies to your tow vehicle as well.

Do not leave any trash cans out that do not have secure lids on them. We had skunks knock ours over and they licked the paper plates clean.

Other than that get some lights and let others complain about it. YOU WILL GET RATS OR MICE SOONER OR LATER UNLESS YOU ARE PROACTIVE IN STOPPING THEM FROM GETTING IN.
gjarrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:01 PM   #39

Hmm... motion sensor lighting.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #40

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bell+howe...sl_nh2e0qyuu_e

I've used these with success when plugged in. Have one hanging under rig now as I live in AZ desert.
boatcat AH6NR is offline   Reply With Quote