Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #21

Someone should start an "I'm a Moron" thread and see how fast it goes to 20 pages. I'd have a number of contributions.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:53 PM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanh View Post
Its not those my new hose also came with plugs in the ends and i did the same thing only the black tank!! Naturally first time dumping and wasnt pretty but a lesson learned for sure
Well... hopefully someone will post a photo of them so we can all understand.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO311fan View Post
Took our new camper (bought it 3/21) out for a trip this weekend. The grey water was showing full this morning so thought I would release some. I pulled the handle, got a gurgle gurgle gurgle and not very much water out.

I’m a Electrician, not a plumber and had no idea. Maybe a bird built a nest in the plumbing stack?

Tried taking the 90 out of the sewer connection (had vacuum floating around deep in my head).

Turns out the sewer hose came with plugs for each end. We showed up at camp Friday about sunset, just didn’t catch that hose plug as I attached to the camper.

Could have been much worse. Stay positive and love your life!(

MO311fan, I'll assume the plug/cap was still attached to the outflow end of the hose since you couldn't attach it to the RV with a cap on the hose? I had a bad experience many years ago with one of those cheap blue hoses ... it sprung a pin hole leak a few feet from the end attached to the TT. I didn't know it was there and when I pulled the black tank handle, it nearly shot black water up into my face. I was fast enough to dodge the spritz but had to hold my finger on the pinhole until the tank emptied. When the tank was empty, I removed the slinky and cut it at the pinhole then put the tailpiece back on and finished dumping my grey tank. I didn't think I had enough soap with me to get my hands really clean after that. I could hear all the chuckles from the other campers in line behind me at the dump station. I later bought the Rhinoflex Extreme hose and hope to never have a repeat.

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I later bought the Rhinoflex Extreme hose and hope to never have a repeat.
I must have watched some YouTube videos, because when I was equipping my first trailer I got the RhinoFlex Extreme hose, as well as all the accessories, such as the 90° elbow and 4-in-1 adaptor. I just knew that the cheap blue hose that came with the trailer was not going to leave me with a positive dumping experience. It's pretty hard to go wrong with the RhinoFlex Extreme hose.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #25
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO311fan View Post
Turns out the sewer hose came with plugs for each end. We showed up at camp Friday about sunset, just didn’t catch that hose plug as I attached to the camper.
I've done that twice and after the first time, I always pull the grey first to see if it works.

I was thinking of painting the plugs white and a friend said "Why don't you lose the plugs and just fasten each end of the sewer hose together like you do for the water hose?"

Duh.

Ray
Old 04-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #26
NXR

"Pics or it didn't happen?" OK.

The Valterra Dominator comes with a small cap that inserts inside the hose fitting.

Black cap in a black hose.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer.PNG
Views:	64
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	252915  
Old 04-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #27
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

The Valterra Dominator comes with a small cap that inserts inside the hose fitting.

Ray
Thanks Ray,
I've not seen these.

I also find it interesting the Valterra web site makes NO mention of these 'drip caps' for the Dominator series (black hose) but DOES mention them for their Viper series. (grey/orange hose)

Dominator Series Sewer Hose

Valterra Viper Series Sewer Hose

I learned something today!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:35 PM   #28

Quote:

Ray
That’s the one I’ve got!
MO311fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #29

I did it twice in our first big maiden voyage last year. After the second uhoh I chunked them bad boys. Mine was not near as bad as it could have.
Lumberton1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #30

thank god it wasnt your black water
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
So I searched around and found this. It's the only pic I could find of it. Don't know if it's a product that can be bought or if it's homemade but it's the only plug I found that doesn't connect over the outside tabs of the hose.

That is part of the waste Master system in the picture.

https://amzn.to/3tU55MZ

Over the last 15 years I have a number of sewer hoses and none have been as easy to hook up and take down and clean. Clean being the key word there. Cost the most for sure ,but best waste hose out there.
Unless you really mistreat them those sewer hoses are touch and last a long time. I'll not own any other now and that's no SHEET.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #32

These are mine and now minus the black caps!!! My fault for not looking but with all the threads i have read we were NEVER warned about this lol
Deanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:42 PM   #33

yup and i might add black hose black cap is deceiving lol
Deanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #34

First trip out this season, trip to Oklahoma, pulled into the campground and went to drain the tanks as they contained the contents of de-winterizing the TT and couple stops to use the facilities. Well I failed to note I left the black tank drain valve open.

Fortunately, if there is such a thing, we only pee'd. Anyway soon as I popped the cover off I was greeted with the contents of the black tank. Come out to be about a gallon, I had put my gloves on out of habit, thankfully.

Note to self, always, always close the tank valves!

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
First trip out this season, trip to Oklahoma, pulled into the campground and went to drain the tanks as they contained the contents of de-winterizing the TT and couple stops to use the facilities. Well I failed to note I left the black tank drain valve open.

Fortunately, if there is such a thing, we only pee'd. Anyway soon as I popped the cover off I was greeted with the contents of the black tank. Come out to be about a gallon, I had put my gloves on out of habit, thankfully.

Note to self, always, always close the tank valves!
You also need one of these secondary valves...only open after you connect your ho se. This valve would,have saved your shoes...lol..

https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-T5...9404058&sr=8-2

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:39 AM   #36

Don't feel bad. I did that too, but I dump the black first. After it didn't come out, I realized I left the plug in. Even though the valve is only a few inches from the hose connection, taking off the hose resulted in a couple cups of brown not so aromatic spaghetti sauce spilling into my dump bay. It was beyond nasty.
Luckily, my dump bay has a removable plug in the bottom. I was at the city sanitation dump site where the surrounding aroma isn't too pleasant to begin with, so it wasn't all us. People in another MH were waiting and watching. Perfect. The provided hose had good water pressure and I was able to give everything a good rinse, including the dump pad, and let the dump bay on the RV dry out for a few days.
That little goof caused what was by far the most disgusting situation I'd encountered in many years. I still keep the little plugs in the dump hose because even though it gets rinsed out, they always smell a little, but I find they don't smell at all with the plugs in. I suppose that's what I get for keeping what are likely just shipping plugs.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
Don't feel bad. I did that too, but I dump the black first. After it didn't come out, I realized I left the plug in. Even though the valve is only a few inches from the hose connection, taking off the hose resulted in a couple cups of brown not so aromatic spaghetti sauce spilling into my dump bay. It was beyond nasty.
Luckily, my dump bay has a removable plug in the bottom. I was at the city sanitation dump site where the surrounding aroma isn't too pleasant to begin with, so it wasn't all us. People in another MH were waiting and watching. Perfect. The provided hose had good water pressure and I was able to give everything a good rinse, including the dump pad, and let the dump bay on the RV dry out for a few days.
That little goof caused what was by far the most disgusting situation I'd encountered in many years. I still keep the little plugs in the dump hose because even though it gets rinsed out, they always smell a little, but I find they don't smell at all with the plugs in. I suppose that's what I get for keeping what are likely just shipping plugs.

That sounds soooo NASTY!....bet you'll never make that mistake ever again
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I learned something today!
Me too. Time to update my thread.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #39
D W

Quote:

Ray
Never have used this Valterra version. Have always used Rhino-Flex hoses with these:
Attached Images

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
That sounds soooo NASTY!....bet you'll never make that mistake ever again
That's a good bet