Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #1

I said good by to my tow vehicle

As of last night I sold my 1997 GMC Suburban. It has served me well for the past 8 years of towing. This has been a great tow vehicle and still has plenty of life to it. I sold it to a man with 3 boys and his wife is pregnant with twin boys and she is due any day. He said now the whole family can ride in the same vehicle at the same time. The Suburban is an 8 passenger vehicle and I said to the men, you now have room for one more after the twins are born and he just looked at me with a smile and shook his head... I feel for him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tow vehicle.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	2099  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Master of the obvious

That sure looks like a great truck!! Do you have your eye on a replacement? We just picked up our Dodge quad cab in December, i have 4 boys and it's a great size. We have yet to tow wirh her but the multi displacement enging is great for fuel saving when we don't need the full Hemi power.

Good luck with your search for a new tow vehicle, keep us posted.
2018 Kia Optima Toad
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #3

I have the same truck you have, and although the Hemi does fairly well without a load on it, when I pull my V-lite 30 footer, I get 7 to 8 mpg. highway mileage at best in flat Florida at 60/65 mph. I have 265/75/17's and 3:54 gear with the automatic overdrive trans. 45RFE. I was disappointed. 200 miles at best between fill ups. And yes, it does have the MDS system, as well. PS- I have an 04 Hemi Durango limited, no MDS, same trans. and rear and tires, and it gets 23 mpg hiway. Ram gets 20 mpg hiway (both no load.)
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
That sure looks like a great truck!! Do you have your eye on a replacement? We just picked up our Dodge quad cab in December, i have 4 boys and it's a great size. We have yet to tow wirh her but the multi displacement enging is great for fuel saving when we don't need the full Hemi power.

Good luck with your search for a new tow vehicle, keep us posted.
I all ready have a new tow vehicle, it is a 2008 Chevy heavy duty 1/2 on which I bought at the end of the model year, so now with the 2010 models out I guess It is two years old. I towed with it this past Summer and It did a great job. I was holding on to the Suburban as an extra tow vehicle in case I needed a spare and It is paid for, but now It's time to let It go.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote