Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Maryland
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
I have never had a problem with the waste hose and have never carried an extra. My current rig - and hose - is 9 years old. Perhaps time to reconsider. ???

I sympathize with your consternation but keep wondering - - if it was your "first shakedown cruise" and you had only been there a few hours (dark - 9ish? - until 11pm) how did the gray water tank get so full so fast? That's 30 gallons.
My wife, ugh, decided she needed to bathe the baby, take a long hot shower, and rewashed a bunch of dishes because bugs crawled on them.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:19 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 929
I started out using Rhino Extreme and have never had a problem with either trailer.
__________________
2019 Silverado LTZ 1500 6.2L 10 Speed 3.42 Max Trailering Package
2018 Freedom Express 192RBS
2016 Silverado LTZ 1500 5.3L 6 Speed 3.42
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
CaptnJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 3,902
I bought a Waste Master hose long ago - from 5.5' to 20' and a 2w0' extension. Best hose made! If you watch nickles or on a budget don't look it up.
__________________
2022 Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 LB Dually
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #24
Fla5er
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: DeLand, Florida
Posts: 120
On our trip this year to Custer, SD we camped at Maumelle State Park in Arkansas for a few days: good park and would stay there again.
When we were leaving we were waiting for a gentleman just ahead of us to drain his waste water. We observed him assembling the hose to the drain (with no 90 degree elbow at the end), and then open the valve. It looked like Old Faithful when he opened the valve to drain and he was not using any gloves to work with!! I offered to him to use our hose but he refused and continued to drain. He then packed up and drove off after he washed the debris into the dump station drain.... At least he washed it down, but he didn't wash his hands either!
My wife is a nurse and she had a fit when she saw that.. Some people are just not with the program: the possible diseases he could be carrying on his hands could be deadly to him.
Word to the wise: keep your hose in good condition and use thick vinyl gloves for protection.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
My wife, ugh, decided she needed to bathe the baby, take a long hot shower, and rewashed a bunch of dishes because bugs crawled on them.
Just a suggestion - - - don't ever take your wife boondocking.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,640
I don't carry a spare waste hose but I DO carry a roll of Duct Tape.

Never leave home without it.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
On our trip this year to Custer, SD we camped at Maumelle State Park in Arkansas for a few days: good park and would stay there again.
When we were leaving we were waiting for a gentleman just ahead of us to drain his waste water. We observed him assembling the hose to the drain (with no 90 degree elbow at the end), and then open the valve. It looked like Old Faithful when he opened the valve to drain and he was not using any gloves to work with!! I offered to him to use our hose but he refused and continued to drain. He then packed up and drove off after he washed the debris into the dump station drain.... At least he washed it down, but he didn't wash his hands either!
My wife is a nurse and she had a fit when she saw that.. Some people are just not with the program: the possible diseases he could be carrying on his hands could be deadly to him.
Word to the wise: keep your hose in good condition and use thick vinyl gloves for protection.
I've seen people older than me do the same. I'm over 78 and these people have lasted this long doing what they do longer than I. I just wash my own hands and don't worry about those that don't.

I do kind of get a kick out of watching people glove up at the dump station yet go in and out during the flushing process wearing the same shoes they walked across the dump pavement in.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #28
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 27,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I've seen people older than me do the same. I'm over 78 and these people have lasted this long doing what they do longer than I. I just wash my own hands and don't worry about those that don't.

I do kind of get a kick out of watching people glove up at the dump station yet go in and out during the flushing process wearing the same shoes they walked across the dump pavement in.
Yep, I keep a soap dispenser, in the front compartment and clean my hands thoroughly. If you are dumping properly, you shouldn't have to touch anything contaminated.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:14 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I carry 3 sections of hose. Use 2 sections and the 3rd is the backup.

like Dan we carry 3. Seldom need the second Rhino hose, but we have an el-cheapo as the #3 "just in case".

We've only needed it one time that I can recall, possibly a second but memory is failing so I cannot be sure
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #30
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
... I do kind of get a kick out of watching people glove up at the dump station yet go in and out during the flushing process wearing the same shoes they walked across the dump pavement in.
We get a lot of entertainment out of the "tourists" at the dump station. All gloved up, and wearing sandals!
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 235
I am also on the north end of 70. Used to drink from garden hoses. Played in the dirt with cuts and scratches. Stuck awful things in my mouth on a dare. Never regretted any of it. Young 'uns are too prissy and miss out on a lot of life.
Germs at the dump? Who'd-a-thought. So what. That's what soap and bleach are for. I put on knee pads, partly because I don't want to kneel in something but mostly because my old knee's hurt now when get them on the ground. No gloves - they are a pain in the rear. I carry hand sanitizer and Clorox hand wipes. After cleaning the hose and my hands with the non-potable water and putting everything away, a wipe with the Clorox and a spritz of sanitizer and I'm on my way.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
dmctlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 441
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
I am also on the north end of 70. Used to drink from garden hoses. Played in the dirt with cuts and scratches. Stuck awful things in my mouth on a dare. Never regretted any of it. Young 'uns are too prissy and miss out on a lot of life.
Germs at the dump? Who'd-a-thought. So what. That's what soap and bleach are for. I put on knee pads, partly because I don't want to kneel in something but mostly because my old knee's hurt now when get them on the ground. No gloves - they are a pain in the rear. I carry hand sanitizer and Clorox hand wipes. After cleaning the hose and my hands with the non-potable water and putting everything away, a wipe with the Clorox and a spritz of sanitizer and I'm on my way.
I'm only on the north end of my 60s but agree with everything you said. Lived the same life and never worried at all. Some may call it luck others like me call it living life. I took and still take caution of the pandemic even though we were vaccinated in March but all the rest is just living life...
__________________
Dana & Terri - (Retired)
Our Cocker Spaniel "Shadow" (5 y/o)
Stephanie (daughter)/Rick/Callie (13 y/o)
Great Granddaughter - Cora (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (5 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:11 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Bob2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 429
At a dump station, guy in front started dumping while eating a sandwich.
__________________
2019 Forester 2861DS
Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:57 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
dmctlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
At a dump station, guy in front started dumping while eating a sandwich.
Now that is not smart! And lazy if you ask me.
__________________
Dana & Terri - (Retired)
Our Cocker Spaniel "Shadow" (5 y/o)
Stephanie (daughter)/Rick/Callie (13 y/o)
Great Granddaughter - Cora (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (5 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 270
Multi tasking is overrated..
1100mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #36
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: About 30 miles west of Beantown.
Posts: 3,804
I've been told by some that my sewer setup at campgrounds is the most elaborate they've seen.


My camper has 2 dump ports. The kitchen sink drains into a gray tank up front. The back is a dump port for toilet, shower and bathroom sink.



I attach a hose to each of my dump ports. 1 port is usually too far away so I have a 3rd hose that I use as an extension. Each hose sits on a stand. At the other end of each hose is a twist on blade valve and they are connected to a Y adapter then into a 90 degree dump station fitting. Whenever I decide to dump a tank, the blade valve on the other port's hose is closed so the waste water doesn't back flow up the other way.
__________________

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 66
That's what I was wondering...if it sat all off season with gray water in it?.....yuk
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
First shakedown cruise for the new TT.

Spent the morning putting the SoftStart back up and then most of the early afternoon cleaning and putting our stuff into the TT for what is actually just a quick 2 night trip.

Thanks to people who for unknown reasons decided to get into accidents on perfectly good sunny day, what would have been a 2.5 hour drive stretched into over 4 hours and we got to the campground about 20 minutes before it got dark. I hurried to get the TT level, tongue & stabilizers set, plug in shore power and water, and it was dark. By the time I realized the gray water tank was near full, it was 11pm. I went outside and connected my Camco Rhino hose, pulled the gray water lever and then realized the brand new hose was leaking like Fukushima. Thankfully it was only gray water and I stopped the flow immediately.

Now I gotta wait until the morning to buy another hose.

I had a spare of most everything except the waste hose. Do you guys carry a backup?
The same thing happened to me. I had to buy a whole new hose kit. I guess the gasket expanded and I had water pouring out.
D. Altizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
First shakedown cruise for the new TT.

Spent the morning putting the SoftStart back up and then most of the early afternoon cleaning and putting our stuff into the TT for what is actually just a quick 2 night trip.

Thanks to people who for unknown reasons decided to get into accidents on perfectly good sunny day, what would have been a 2.5 hour drive stretched into over 4 hours and we got to the campground about 20 minutes before it got dark. I hurried to get the TT level, tongue & stabilizers set, plug in shore power and water, and it was dark. By the time I realized the gray water tank was near full, it was 11pm. I went outside and connected my Camco Rhino hose, pulled the gray water lever and then realized the brand new hose was leaking like Fukushima. Thankfully it was only gray water and I stopped the flow immediately.

Now I gotta wait until the morning to buy another hose.

I had a spare of most everything except the waste hose. Do you guys carry a backup?

Duct or electrical tape.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rice, WA - Sold the S&B!
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
At a dump station, guy in front started dumping while eating a sandwich.
You expected him to eat before dumping or heaven forbid, eat while driving?

__________________
As a teacher my signature was, “If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.”

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camping, check

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.