Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2021, 08:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
First shakedown cruise for the new TT.

Spent the morning putting the SoftStart back up and then most of the early afternoon cleaning and putting our stuff into the TT for what is actually just a quick 2 night trip.

Thanks to people who for unknown reasons decided to get into accidents on perfectly good sunny day, what would have been a 2.5 hour drive stretched into over 4 hours and we got to the campground about 20 minutes before it got dark. I hurried to get the TT level, tongue & stabilizers set, plug in shore power and water, and it was dark. By the time I realized the gray water tank was near full, it was 11pm. I went outside and connected my Camco Rhino hose, pulled the gray water lever and then realized the brand new hose was leaking like Fukushima. Thankfully it was only gray water and I stopped the flow immediately.

Now I gotta wait until the morning to buy another hose.

I had a spare of most everything except the waste hose. Do you guys carry a backup?
I carry three sections in the bumper and one spare section in one of my containers.
reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #42

Never have had a dump hose leak in 45 years. And I use latex gloves whenever I think of it but not always. But I draw the line at eating a sandwich while I'm dumping our sewage tanks. That's just disgusting. I don't always wash my hands right away but do before I eat anything with my hands. And I've never gotten sick from not wearing gloves. However, I do carry a spare dump hose but I've never used it.
mixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #43

I use the bumper carrier, but added a plastic liner, a few years ago when I noticed both rust and slight abrasion.
Timtation1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:58 PM   #44

I’ll bet they want a premium price for their lower quality product.
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #45

I carry my stinky slinky in a plastic tote along with all the fittings. I also have a can of Lysol spray and spray it all down before putting the flush hose on top. I always spray the hose end that connects to the faucet with lysol just before connecting it too, just in case. Have a king Flush, Rhino hose, and a few fittings all coiled up inside. Keeps it out of the way and separate from everything else, and the lysol makes it smell nice. I also have a container that sticks to the wall that holds disposable gloves, so they are nice and handy for the dirty work.

Have had the ends leak at times, those reverse threaded fittings are a PITA at times.

At my last camp stop I found the drain was threaded and the the funnel for the 90 screwed in easily and stayed put. Too bad not all the camp ground drains have that, was pretty nice, at least until someone drained their tanks, the neighbors left theirs uncapped and didn't have the hose in tight. Pungent was an understatement.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
I am also on the north end of 70. Used to drink from garden hoses. Played in the dirt with cuts and scratches. Stuck awful things in my mouth on a dare. Never regretted any of it. Young 'uns are too prissy and miss out on a lot of life.
Germs at the dump? Who'd-a-thought. So what. That's what soap and bleach are for. I put on knee pads, partly because I don't want to kneel in something but mostly because my old knee's hurt now when get them on the ground. No gloves - they are a pain in the rear. I carry hand sanitizer and Clorox hand wipes. After cleaning the hose and my hands with the non-potable water and putting everything away, a wipe with the Clorox and a spritz of sanitizer and I'm on my way.
I too am north of 70 and much the same experience growing up plus water supplied from well and cistern, lived on dairy farm shoveling cow, chicken, horse manure, and cleaning my hands on my jeans. Still alive and healthy. I have started wearing heavy rubber gloves to give me a better grip when handling the hose connections. I build my own hoses with parts from trailer supply and adjustable hose clamps. Much easier to repair if there is a leak.
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:23 AM   #47

I have 5 sections of hoses bc I have to use a y bc I have two discharges outlet
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #48

I have not as of today had any problem with sewer hoses . With that been said I do a test run on my hoses water and sewer every year before I camp I fill grey tank that tests fresh water hose . Filling grey tank with bathroom and kitchen faucets that tests water lines then dump grey tank this tests sewer hose . If all is well I'm set for the year if something looks bad I replace it . I have now changed to this set up. Ithttps://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01...2C204&sr=8-103 takes less space and self cleans itself it is slower but that does not matter to me . Main thing is less space and self rinsing .I made up a 5' hose to screw on to outside shower hose if no water is available and yes it works off water pump . There was one time I wish I had a sewer hose so I could dump grey tank at rest stop that was my fault I forgot to dump it at home just had to carry extra weight not big deal .
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #49

If the hose is 10', how can it pump it 100'?
Old 07-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
If the hose is 10', how can it pump it 100'?
You set up a water hose adapter and add 100' of 3/4" garden hose if you need that much .
Old 07-09-2021, 01:33 PM   #51

[IMG][/IMG]
This is what I did .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210709_131254849.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	651.4 KB
ID:	258762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210709_131242556.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	781.0 KB
ID:	258763  
Old 07-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
You set up a water hose adapter and add 100' of 3/4" garden hose if you need that much .
It was a rhetorical, I figured it would just be a matter of adding hose.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:12 PM   #53

Quote:
It was a rhetorical, I figured it would just be a matter of adding hose.
You didn't add the LOL to it so I didn't know how to take it . I thought I had one of those dim bulbs in the box or dull tool in the shed

The old sayings he's not the brightest bulb in the box Or he's not the sharpest tool in the shed LOL . all fun !
Old 07-09-2021, 03:08 PM   #54

it was along the lines of 10 pounds of schiznit in a 1 pound package.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #55

Two actually.
Mountaineer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
My wife, ugh, decided she needed to bathe the baby, take a long hot shower, and rewashed a bunch of dishes because bugs crawled on them.
There have been times at a dump station I've seen gaskets, O rings lying there and thought that guys in for a surprise next time. With all parts intact, could possibly just need tightening. As for grey water storage, it took one outing to realize how fast they can fill. Now it's run only enough water to soap up and rinse. Never let it run. A tip for dishes, use a wash tub in the sink and pour that in the toilet when finished, way more room there and the soapy waste water can't hurt. I still carry a portable waste tank just in case, mainly for the grey water.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #57

I've come to the conclusion, having 2 35 gallon grey tanks, and 5 people that boondocking is out for us. Those two tanks seem to fill up just looking at the gauges. Either that or the gauges are wrong. I was considering a stay at a park in Nebraska that is water and electric only, no sewer hookup, but I would either have to get a tote or move the trailer every day. We even do the wash and rinse thing, but apparently even that uses too much water. How the kitchen one fills up so fast, now that one has me confused.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #58

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion, having 2 35 gallon grey tanks, and 5 people that boondocking is out for us. Those two tanks seem to fill up just looking at the gauges. Either that or the gauges are wrong. I was considering a stay at a park in Nebraska that is water and electric only, no sewer hookup, but I would either have to get a tote or move the trailer every day. We even do the wash and rinse thing, but apparently even that uses too much water. How the kitchen one fills up so fast, now that one has me confused.

If truly boondocking you hold the answer in your hand. How much water did you take. We don’t boondock a lot but on our last 3 week trip I filled the fresh water tank up ( 60 gallon) probably less but close. We had a few one night stays. So to make things easy we just plug in electric. I need two new tires in Reno day 5 of the trip. We still have yet to hook up to water The wife decided we needed to dump black tank ( 40) gallons, grey tank 35 gallons and galley 35 gallons all say full. So she dumps on her own makes a small mess forgets to close black tank thank goodness she put cap back on. After I get tires situated. I make quick walk thru and use restroom. Fresh water tank read 2/3 1/3 so I figured about 25-30 gallons left of freshwater. Knowing that we all showered, we cooked and did dishes with the freshwater and of of course we flush with freshwater. I tell wife the gauge is wrong impossible for any of the tanks to be full we didn’t have enough water to fill them all.

Tags
camping, check