Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 12:25 AM   #1

I should have checked my waste hose before going camping...

First shakedown cruise for the new TT.

Spent the morning putting the SoftStart back up and then most of the early afternoon cleaning and putting our stuff into the TT for what is actually just a quick 2 night trip.

Thanks to people who for unknown reasons decided to get into accidents on perfectly good sunny day, what would have been a 2.5 hour drive stretched into over 4 hours and we got to the campground about 20 minutes before it got dark. I hurried to get the TT level, tongue & stabilizers set, plug in shore power and water, and it was dark. By the time I realized the gray water tank was near full, it was 11pm. I went outside and connected my Camco Rhino hose, pulled the gray water lever and then realized the brand new hose was leaking like Fukushima. Thankfully it was only gray water and I stopped the flow immediately.

Now I gotta wait until the morning to buy another hose.

I had a spare of most everything except the waste hose. Do you guys carry a backup?
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:46 AM   #2
Site Team

I carry 3 sections of hose. Use 2 sections and the 3rd is the backup.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:36 AM   #3
Don't Camp Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I carry 3 sections of hose. Use 2 sections and the 3rd is the backup.
X2
Always carry an extra waste hose.

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:42 AM   #4
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMURPHY View Post
X2
Always carry an extra waste hose.
This appears to be sound advice. Thanks
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:50 AM   #5

Which campground did you go to?

Bruce
Old 07-03-2021, 05:43 AM   #6

I had a brand new Rhino hose once that leaked when new. I had to tighten the end fittings ( reverse threaded if I remember correctly) It worked great after that

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmichael View Post
I had a brand new Rhino hose once that leaked when new. I had to tighten the end fittings ( reverse threaded if I remember correctly) It worked great after that
My roughly-eight-year-old Rhino hose finally sprung a leak a few days ago. I drove to the dealer near to me and bought a new Rhino hose. I noticed right away that the new hose is much less durable (both the ends and the hose) than the old one. Somewhere along the way, Camco decided to cut some corners — probably when they came out with the Rhino “Extreme” hose. I doubt my new Rhino hose will have as good of a life as my old one did.

Bruce
Old 07-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #8

I carry a 15 ft. Rhino that is my go-to hose and a 20 ft. Rhino extension hose that I've used as my primary in the past.

I would guess Camco cheapened the Rhino's after they started selling them at Walmart or Amazon.

I learned my lesson with staying with a good name hose after using the "starter kit" hose I received with my current rig, trying to save my Rhino like saving your best shirt for Sunday. The first use of the starter hose it leaked like a cheap lawn sprinkler.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #9

Where do you store your hose? I installed one of those EZ hose carriers because carrying the waste hose in the bumper beats the heck out the hose.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #10

I have found that some of the Camco fittings connect loosely between two specific hose fittings and leak at the fitting, which all should be standard size. I was able to reconnect the opposite ends of my old hoses and new hises in a way that the fittings were tight all around, so I didn't have to modify anything. I just wonder if the manufacturing of the fittings can be a bit irregular at times. This loose fitment creating a leaky (but new) Camco hose fitting has happened to us twice now.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmichael View Post
Yep, the collars are reverse threads, and sometimes they come loose due to twisting of the hose and require re-tightening. I make it a point whenever I dump to try and expand the sewer hose with the end caps on. If it is hard to expand, then the hose is sound. If it's easy to expand, then there is a leak, and that requires a closer look. You can do the same thing after rinsing the hose before putting it away in reverse order. I always make sure to never drag the hose across the ground, stones, blacktop or concrete. I always carry a seal kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camco 39834.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	258350  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post

. . . . we got to the campground about 20 minutes before it got dark. By the time I realized the gray water tank was near full, it was 11pm.
I have never had a problem with the waste hose and have never carried an extra. My current rig - and hose - is 9 years old. Perhaps time to reconsider. ???

I sympathize with your consternation but keep wondering - - if it was your "first shakedown cruise" and you had only been there a few hours (dark - 9ish? - until 11pm) how did the gray water tank get so full so fast? That's 30 gallons.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #13

My current RHINO hose (4 yrs old) with the twist on fittings is beginning to fail (wire rust/breaking).

I go to WM to pick up a new one and notice instantly that the hose thickness is not as robust as the old version (as noted above). Also notice the end fittings are “fixed” and not removable. I have read a few places the fittings leak where the hose is attached. This will not be good since there is no way to remove/tighten/reseal the fittings.

My thinking is that may have to go to the RHINO extreme hose set at roughly 2x the cost.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #14

Always a good idea to open the black tank valve slowly to start. There can be a lot of pressure on the hose to begin with.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
My thinking is that may have to go to the RHINO extreme hose set at roughly 2x the cost.
I believe this was Camco’s thinking as well.

Bruce
Old 07-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post

Spent the morning putting the SoftStart back up and then most of the early afternoon cleaning and putting our stuff into the TT for what is actually just a quick 2 night trip.

Thanks to people who for unknown reasons decided to get into accidents on perfectly good sunny day, what would have been a 2.5 hour drive stretched into over 4 hours and we got to the campground about 20 minutes before it got dark. I hurried to get the TT level, tongue & stabilizers set, plug in shore power and water, and it was dark. By the time I realized the gray water tank was near full, it was 11pm. I went outside and connected my Camco Rhino hose, pulled the gray water lever and then realized the brand new hose was leaking like Fukushima. Thankfully it was only gray water and I stopped the flow immediately.

Now I gotta wait until the morning to buy another hose.

I had a spare of most everything except the waste hose. Do you guys carry a backup?
Which is why I always dump a little grey first. Just in case.
phuber9458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Where do you store your hose? I installed one of those EZ hose carriers because carrying the waste hose in the bumper beats the heck out the hose.
I've been storing my sewer hoses in the bumper for nearly 20 years and never damaged any hoses.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #18

I switched a couple of years ago to the Prest-o-Fit Blueline line of sewer hoses. They seem to be sturdy and well built. I have several buddies we camp with that use them as well. Just another option.

https://www.prestofit.com/BluelineRVSanitation.html
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #19

I usually carry 2(10') sections of Rhino hose and an older 15' as backup but recently as we've camping a lot more and longer since retiring I bought a 5' Section since I found myself many times using a 10' when I could've used a 5' then opening to drain and that 10' uncoiled and jumped off the sidewinder and now I have to hand drain the thing down. In fact I'm using the 5' now, it fits perfect and less to clean.
One last note my Rhino hose leaks here and there but just got to tighten it back into the fittings since it loosens up from usage.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post
I switched a couple of years ago to the Prest-o-Fit Blueline line of sewer hoses. They seem to be sturdy and well built. I have several buddies we camp with that use them as well. Just another option.

https://www.prestofit.com/BluelineRVSanitation.html
I went with a blueline about three seasons ago. So far it's working well. It doesn't exactly feel like the greatest hose but it has worked well without any drama. This also fits in my 4-in metal bumper.
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, check