Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
I have never had a problem with the waste hose and have never carried an extra. My current rig - and hose - is 9 years old. Perhaps time to reconsider. ???

I sympathize with your consternation but keep wondering - - if it was your "first shakedown cruise" and you had only been there a few hours (dark - 9ish? - until 11pm) how did the gray water tank get so full so fast? That's 30 gallons.
My wife, ugh, decided she needed to bathe the baby, take a long hot shower, and rewashed a bunch of dishes because bugs crawled on them.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:19 PM   #22

I started out using Rhino Extreme and have never had a problem with either trailer.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #23

I bought a Waste Master hose long ago - from 5.5' to 20' and a 2w0' extension. Best hose made! If you watch nickles or on a budget don't look it up.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #24
Fla5er

On our trip this year to Custer, SD we camped at Maumelle State Park in Arkansas for a few days: good park and would stay there again.
When we were leaving we were waiting for a gentleman just ahead of us to drain his waste water. We observed him assembling the hose to the drain (with no 90 degree elbow at the end), and then open the valve. It looked like Old Faithful when he opened the valve to drain and he was not using any gloves to work with!! I offered to him to use our hose but he refused and continued to drain. He then packed up and drove off after he washed the debris into the dump station drain.... At least he washed it down, but he didn't wash his hands either!
My wife is a nurse and she had a fit when she saw that.. Some people are just not with the program: the possible diseases he could be carrying on his hands could be deadly to him.
Word to the wise: keep your hose in good condition and use thick vinyl gloves for protection.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
My wife, ugh, decided she needed to bathe the baby, take a long hot shower, and rewashed a bunch of dishes because bugs crawled on them.
Just a suggestion - - - don't ever take your wife boondocking.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #26

I don't carry a spare waste hose but I DO carry a roll of Duct Tape.

Never leave home without it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
On our trip this year to Custer, SD we camped at Maumelle State Park in Arkansas for a few days: good park and would stay there again.
When we were leaving we were waiting for a gentleman just ahead of us to drain his waste water. We observed him assembling the hose to the drain (with no 90 degree elbow at the end), and then open the valve. It looked like Old Faithful when he opened the valve to drain and he was not using any gloves to work with!! I offered to him to use our hose but he refused and continued to drain. He then packed up and drove off after he washed the debris into the dump station drain.... At least he washed it down, but he didn't wash his hands either!
My wife is a nurse and she had a fit when she saw that.. Some people are just not with the program: the possible diseases he could be carrying on his hands could be deadly to him.
Word to the wise: keep your hose in good condition and use thick vinyl gloves for protection.
I've seen people older than me do the same. I'm over 78 and these people have lasted this long doing what they do longer than I. I just wash my own hands and don't worry about those that don't.

I do kind of get a kick out of watching people glove up at the dump station yet go in and out during the flushing process wearing the same shoes they walked across the dump pavement in. [emoji848][emoji848]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I've seen people older than me do the same. I'm over 78 and these people have lasted this long doing what they do longer than I. I just wash my own hands and don't worry about those that don't.

I do kind of get a kick out of watching people glove up at the dump station yet go in and out during the flushing process wearing the same shoes they walked across the dump pavement in. [emoji848][emoji848]
Yep, I keep a soap dispenser, in the front compartment and clean my hands thoroughly. If you are dumping properly, you shouldn't have to touch anything contaminated.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I carry 3 sections of hose. Use 2 sections and the 3rd is the backup.

like Dan we carry 3. Seldom need the second Rhino hose, but we have an el-cheapo as the #3 "just in case".

We've only needed it one time that I can recall, possibly a second but memory is failing so I cannot be sure
Old 07-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #30
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
... I do kind of get a kick out of watching people glove up at the dump station yet go in and out during the flushing process wearing the same shoes they walked across the dump pavement in. [emoji848][emoji848]
We get a lot of entertainment out of the "tourists" at the dump station. All gloved up, and wearing sandals!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #31

I am also on the north end of 70. Used to drink from garden hoses. Played in the dirt with cuts and scratches. Stuck awful things in my mouth on a dare. Never regretted any of it. Young 'uns are too prissy and miss out on a lot of life.
Germs at the dump? Who'd-a-thought. So what. That's what soap and bleach are for. I put on knee pads, partly because I don't want to kneel in something but mostly because my old knee's hurt now when get them on the ground. No gloves - they are a pain in the rear. I carry hand sanitizer and Clorox hand wipes. After cleaning the hose and my hands with the non-potable water and putting everything away, a wipe with the Clorox and a spritz of sanitizer and I'm on my way.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #32

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
I am also on the north end of 70. Used to drink from garden hoses. Played in the dirt with cuts and scratches. Stuck awful things in my mouth on a dare. Never regretted any of it. Young 'uns are too prissy and miss out on a lot of life.
Germs at the dump? Who'd-a-thought. So what. That's what soap and bleach are for. I put on knee pads, partly because I don't want to kneel in something but mostly because my old knee's hurt now when get them on the ground. No gloves - they are a pain in the rear. I carry hand sanitizer and Clorox hand wipes. After cleaning the hose and my hands with the non-potable water and putting everything away, a wipe with the Clorox and a spritz of sanitizer and I'm on my way.
I'm only on the north end of my 60s but agree with everything you said. Lived the same life and never worried at all. Some may call it luck others like me call it living life. I took and still take caution of the pandemic even though we were vaccinated in March but all the rest is just living life...
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:11 AM   #33

At a dump station, guy in front started dumping while eating a sandwich.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
Now that is not smart! And lazy if you ask me.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #35

Multi tasking is overrated..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #36
Insert witty title here

I've been told by some that my sewer setup at campgrounds is the most elaborate they've seen.

My camper has 2 dump ports. The kitchen sink drains into a gray tank up front. The back is a dump port for toilet, shower and bathroom sink.

I attach a hose to each of my dump ports. 1 port is usually too far away so I have a 3rd hose that I use as an extension. Each hose sits on a stand. At the other end of each hose is a twist on blade valve and they are connected to a Y adapter then into a 90 degree dump station fitting. Whenever I decide to dump a tank, the blade valve on the other port's hose is closed so the waste water doesn't back flow up the other way.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #37

That's what I was wondering...if it sat all off season with gray water in it?.....yuk
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #38

Quote:
First shakedown cruise for the new TT.

Spent the morning putting the SoftStart back up and then most of the early afternoon cleaning and putting our stuff into the TT for what is actually just a quick 2 night trip.

Thanks to people who for unknown reasons decided to get into accidents on perfectly good sunny day, what would have been a 2.5 hour drive stretched into over 4 hours and we got to the campground about 20 minutes before it got dark. I hurried to get the TT level, tongue & stabilizers set, plug in shore power and water, and it was dark. By the time I realized the gray water tank was near full, it was 11pm. I went outside and connected my Camco Rhino hose, pulled the gray water lever and then realized the brand new hose was leaking like Fukushima. Thankfully it was only gray water and I stopped the flow immediately.

Now I gotta wait until the morning to buy another hose.

I had a spare of most everything except the waste hose. Do you guys carry a backup?
The same thing happened to me. I had to buy a whole new hose kit. I guess the gasket expanded and I had water pouring out.
D. Altizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #39

Quote:
First shakedown cruise for the new TT.

Spent the morning putting the SoftStart back up and then most of the early afternoon cleaning and putting our stuff into the TT for what is actually just a quick 2 night trip.

Thanks to people who for unknown reasons decided to get into accidents on perfectly good sunny day, what would have been a 2.5 hour drive stretched into over 4 hours and we got to the campground about 20 minutes before it got dark. I hurried to get the TT level, tongue & stabilizers set, plug in shore power and water, and it was dark. By the time I realized the gray water tank was near full, it was 11pm. I went outside and connected my Camco Rhino hose, pulled the gray water lever and then realized the brand new hose was leaking like Fukushima. Thankfully it was only gray water and I stopped the flow immediately.

Now I gotta wait until the morning to buy another hose.

I had a spare of most everything except the waste hose. Do you guys carry a backup?

Duct or electrical tape.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
You expected him to eat before dumping or heaven forbid, eat while driving?

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, check