Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

I Took My Kids on an RV Trip - Here Are 5 Things You Should Know

People that don't know should not give advice. Sounds like the writer went into this weekend expedition with a bad attitude.

I Took My Kids on an RV Trip - Here Are 5 Things You Should Know Before Planning Your Own
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

There is no link to the 5 things she needs to tell us she knows...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #3

Its there and working for me

I Took My Kids on an RV Trip - Here Are 5 Things You Should Know Before Planning Your Own
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #4

OK...

I'm on a computer and not a tablet or phone, so I had to click on the full page icon before the rest of the story appeared by clicking on an arrow to the right!

Anyway...

What a whiner she is...

What did she expect...the Ritz Carlton?

She is too high maintenance for me...
Old 10-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
There is no link to the 5 things she needs to tell us she knows...

I clicked the right arrow on the top photo to advance to the next page.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
I clicked the right arrow on the top photo to advance to the next page.
That's what I did on the computer...

Once it was there after clicking on the little square thing at bottom right to make it full screen.

Before that there were probably 100 square google links to those internet useless stories...
Old 10-26-2018, 05:24 AM   #7

Oh ok sorry, thought you meant there was no link to the story. Yes in the picture click on the arrow to the right. You also expand the picture to full screen.

I just don't get though how renting an RV for a weekend makes you expert. [emoji848]
Old 10-26-2018, 05:53 AM   #8
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Interesting trip synopsis and absolutely NOTHING like any of our camping trips through the years when our kids were little. Maybe the downhill slide was due to the fact that she never wanted to go camping in the first place "husband talked me into it" and if her kids are being raised on their electronic device babysitters, yeah, I can see them getting antsy being "forced to enjoy nature" . Our kids absolutely loved sitting by the fire telling stories and singing songs, even when they were little. and, wow, really, taking a 15 week old puppy along. What an idiot, lol .:roflblack But certainly it's a free country, thankfully, which means folks can write articles on whatever they want and with whatever opinion they have. Which also give me the freedom to laugh at them.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:22 AM   #9

Sounds like she doesn’t like her kids very much, they have little discipline. Plus she isn’t wanting to put in the sweat equity into a vacation to get off the couch. It made me sad for her and especially her kids.
Mondaktex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #10
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaktex View Post
Sounds like she doesn’t like her kids very much, they have little discipline. Plus she isn’t wanting to put in the sweat equity into a vacation to get off the couch. It made me sad for her and especially her kids.
Don't think I'd go that far by just the article. She put a lot of effort into bringing things along to help keep her kids entertained (big clue that she didn't see nature as an option) and she doesn't mention whether her husband was helpful, in fact he is not even mentioned except to say that he was the one that got her to go. So my guess is that the bulk of the work was on her. I think she actually put a lot of sweat equity into trying to have a good vacation, it was a big point in her article about how surprisingly much work it was to pull it together. Problem was she was talked into going, seemed to have the lions share of the planning and execution, and tried to have a country vacation with a city mindset... with two young children and a puppy. I agree about feeling sorry for her and the kids, but not becauwe I think she doesn't care or is lazy; I feel sorry because she is not able to enjoy the beauty of the lifestyle that we on this forum have chosen. Clearly she is not into Rving or camping, but she did call it an "adventure" so hopefully she will give it another try when the kids are older and write again. And hopefully her husband will play a bigger role next time .
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #11

I laugh that they didn’t shower and only changed clothes once and yet she had six+ loads of laundry to do when they got home. Probably had to wash all of her “fluffy pillows” because they’re been exposed to (eeeew!) nature!
Cry me a river, sweetie.
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #12

I'm guessing her vacation experience has been limited to Cancun, Jamaica, Hawaii, all at "Sandals" resorts. Where she gets her "Spa" treatment everyday, no kids around...(as a parent, you don't want to be bothered by your kids while "YOU'RE" on vacation. Call her a Whambulance.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:03 AM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
I laugh that they didn’t shower and only changed clothes once and yet she had six+ loads of laundry to do when they got home. Probably had to wash all of her “fluffy pillows” because they’re been exposed to (eeeew!) nature!
Cry me a river, sweetie.
I do laugh when someone who is high maintenance gets taken out of their 5 star expectations.. I wonder if the hubby is left out because they actually had a great time camping and she is... Shocking to suggest, exaggeration the experience! But it gets her an MSN article and hopefully scares all the people who would make our camping experiences less enjoyable with their complaining! They can stick to their Starbucks and goat yoga...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
llr

One thing in her defense, it would be a lot of work to get load and unload a rental RV for a weekend trip, not to mention the learning curve. I would never consider renting one for a weekend trip.

We (and probably most of us here) only load and unload food and fresh food for a trip, everything else is loaded all the time.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:45 AM   #15

Quote:
More than we expected, as it turns out (we won't talk about the tow truck we had to call when we made a wrong turn out of the campsite and landed our front right wheel in a ditch).
I guess that should be the answer to should I rent / borrow my rv.

2016 Nights camped in wildcat(14) didn't count previous trailer
2017 Nights camped (44)
2018 Nights camped (29) that's too low. Must work on it.
maskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskins View Post
I guess that should be the answer to should I rent / borrow my rv.
Yeah. These places I see on fb that let you rent your rv.. These are the people using them!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #17

I guess she never camped in the 70's in a tent. What she is complaining about was pretty standard practice for us in the 70's. My wife and I first started out camping in a borrowed 9X12 tent. What I carried in my 1969, VW 1500CC Beetle when we went camping with the following items. The 9X12 tent, ground cloth for said tent, white gas stove and the Coleman fuel, 5 gallon water container, cooking utensils, dishes with eating utensils, containers to do the dishes in, 2 sleeping bags, tools such as axe and hammer, first aid kit plus our clothes and towels for bathing. Food and cooler plus we had to buy ice every other day for the two weeks we camped in the summer.This was all inside the car either in the trunk or in the back seat which folded down.

We had a blast and never ever thought that this was extreme work since everybody around us was doing the same things.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #18

The first few camping trips are a "pain" till you kinda get it down. There is stress for me in camping for many reasons... accidents w/RV, getting lost or in a tight spot, keeping food and cleaning done, etc. I still prefer camping over just about anything I can think of.

I think this person may not ever be a "true camper" and doesn't enjoy being outdoors without the comforts of home or resort living. We have a couple of kids who like electronics and staying inside and a couple that like being outside. Most of them are old enough now to decide if they go and entertain themselves.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #19
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
Interesting trip synopsis and absolutely NOTHING like any of our camping trips through the years when our kids were little. Maybe the downhill slide was due to the fact that she never wanted to go camping in the first place "husband talked me into it" and if her kids are being raised on their electronic device babysitters, yeah, I can see them getting antsy being "forced to enjoy nature" . Our kids absolutely loved sitting by the fire telling stories and singing songs, even when they were little. and, wow, really, taking a 15 week old puppy along. What an idiot, lol .:roflblack But certainly it's a free country, thankfully, which means folks can write articles on whatever they want and with whatever opinion they have. Which also give me the freedom to laugh at them.

X2

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaktex View Post

X2

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote