Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2021, 07:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Wow, if you did that, you lose your "stupid camper card" like the one in my wallet!
Not me!

Camper was asked to leave the campground due to his loud annoying dogs. He got so upset he roared out leaving his awning wrapped around a pine tree. He never slowed down or stopped to collect his awning.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:11 AM   #22

I was “That guy”

I flagged down a guy in a Class A as he pulled out of his campsite, with the emergency brake activated in his toad. Two nice trenches in the gravel.

He thanked me.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:31 AM   #23

We can all agree about the importance trying to help others and being polite.

On the other hand, these are not normal times. Nearly everyone is pissed off about something so tread lightly. People have been cooped up and isolated. Don't be a wise guy, and consider the risk in asking someone to turn down their music or lights. Best to contact the campground host if there is one. If you are boondocking it might just be best to move. Be nice to each other.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The main thing I miss about living down South. People go out of their way to be helpful.
The South be a changing my friend! When I moved down here in 1985 it was much more polite. But, and no offense intended, the North is moving down here and it isn't so polite anymore. And before anyone bashes me....I was a yankee from NJ and sometimes I still have to show my Jersey attitude.

Bottom line, society as a whole is becoming less polite and more impatient. I get the finger when I'm driving our 5er at 65 MPH down Highway 85 because some impatient person wants to go 85. I've just learned to smile and roll on.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #25
Insert witty title here

As long as you don't jump in and help me with my hooking up procedure without asking first. I have a checklist in my head and do things in a very specific order. Unless I'm having an unforeseen problem, the best thing you can do is stay out of my way.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:32 PM   #26
MCTroy

Unfortunately we were That Guy recently. Leaving Cherry Hill Rv Park, a nice Georgetown was parked to the side of the main exit road. Thinking he was adjusting a GPS or something we passed him. Wrong. He was stopped for the other THAT Guy trying to hook up and blocking the road. Ugh.
So I jumped put of our truck and went back to apologize to the Georgetown driver. He was nice about it when I explained we were not intentionally being a jackass!
Eventually we all got moving- and waved good bye!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:07 PM   #27

Quote:
The main thing I miss about living down South. People go out of their way to be helpful.
That must be selective memory. There are plenty of jerks here.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
Don’t be me. I saw a man and his wife pulling out in a fifth wheel at Huntington Beach State Park this weekend. He clearly had it under control. I decided it’d be good to let him know all was clear. He rolled down his window and politely (yes politely) told me he had things under control. I actually knew he knew. I was “That guy.” Don’t be me, y’all.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step. No one likes unsolicited advice when it is clearly not needed. Good for you and good advice...
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:15 AM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post

Sad to hear. I lived on far west side of Jacksonville Fl from 1983-1987, it was good back then. I used to go back to NJ and show off my 'southern manners'. At a minimum, unless you were on a crowded city sidewalk, that meant saying a greeting to someone you were passing by while walking. I still do that now back in NJ, but less than 50% of people reciprocate.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #30
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Not me!

Camper was asked to leave the campground due to his loud annoying dogs. He got so upset he roared out leaving his awning wrapped around a pine tree. He never slowed down or stopped to collect his awning.
This is the best story I've heard this month! Got rid of barking dog guy AND a bonus!!!!
Old 04-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #31
Site Team

I don't volunteer advice to other campers much at all anymore.
But... If I see something I'll say something.
I was camped in a FL state park this past winter and it was mid morning and folks who's time was up were leaving.
I heard a familiar sound and here comes a guy pulling a nice 5er with his sewer cap dragging the ground. I hollered and waved and finally whistled and got his attention. He thanked me and I said it could be me one day and he attached said cap and headed out.
Followed a tall bunkhouse with a rear antenna that was raised. We were in Colorado I believe and had a couple of tunnels coming up. It was a two lane and I was also towing so I couldn't think of anything to do but back off in case the tunnel was lower than his antenna. (it wasn't)
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:12 AM   #32

Quote:
It was a polite exchange. Brief, too. But deep down I knew he didn’t need help. I don’t know, maybe I’m being too hard on myself. Thanks, y’all!

As it is said.... 'no good deed goes unpunished' and you did a good deed and now you are over thinking it as if you should not have said something. Stop over thinking it. 'We' 'All' need help and an extra pair of eyes 'some days'.... Continue to be that extra pair of eyes for when 'something' out of the ordinary happens. When the Stuff happens, it happens fast.

Thank-you for being that extra pair of eyes and not let me 'hit THAT tree'....
when my 'spotter' is.... 'watching the dog/children/phone/neighbors/ the front and not the back/etc'

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #33

a helping hand is usually always appreciated even though it might not seem like it. A few years ago (when we first got our tt) I was trying to hook up the hitch and it wasn't going well. I thought I hooked the ball and started to retract the front jack but the ball wasn't hooked on. A nearby camper called out to me that the ball wasn't hooked up. I was frustrated and tired and so gave him a rather gruff response that I knew that. I have always regretted that as he was only being nice and I didn't respond in kind. So when I try to be helpful and get a less than appreciative response I take it with a grain of salt and move on. I will continue to try and be helpful to people and hope that they appreciate it. Sometimes I get a nasty comment back but I don't allow those people to ruin my day.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
And they are mostly from N.Y. or N.J. I've got a place in Florida since the 70's and can tell in five seconds if the person I'm talking to is native (very rare), from another southern state (almost as rare), or from New England states.

By the way...I've also met many enjoyable characters from our northern neighbors as well.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:51 PM   #35

A couple weeks ago, the wife and I were returning to our campsite in an Ohio state park and there was a truck and bumper pull trailer all cross-wise and trying to back into the spot next to us.

We sat in the loop road well back from them so as to not crowd his efforts or give the impression that we were impatient (I detest rude behavior)!

After about ten minutes or so and pulling up about 20 or 30 times, the fellow finally got it backed in. We parked and got out of our truck and he asked, "was that entertaining enough for you"? I replied that we enjoyed it just a tiny bit and grinned. He said, "well, I need the practice"

Then I mentioned that he might need to pull forward a few feet as his leveling jacks were well off the rear of the concrete pad, and it was quite a grassy slope. He thanked me very much and immediately looked at it and pulled up. They only stayed two nights but were very nice neighbors.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #36
Trailer Park Supervisor

Hey, at least you can find a decent bagel or pizza down there thanks to us! Before that, people thought that Pizza Hut was good. (It actually WAS good in the beginning, I'll give it that, now it's mass produced,undersized and overpriced crap like all the chain restaurants smothering FL).
Old 04-28-2021, 06:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Hey, at least you can find a decent bagel or pizza down there thanks to us! Before that, people thought that Pizza Hut was good. (It actually WAS good in the beginning, I'll give it that, now it's mass produced,undersized and overpriced crap like all the chain restaurants smothering FL).
Best pizza I ever ate was in a place next to the 76 truck stop in Jersey City. About '78 or '79. Ate an entire pizza it was so delicious.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #38

Quote:
I don’t know, maybe I’m being too hard on myself. Thanks, y’all!
You're being too hard on yourself.
You made a comment. He didn't need help. Forget it.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #39

Quote:
At a minimum, unless you were on a crowded city sidewalk, that meant saying a greeting to someone you were passing by while walking. I still do that now back in NJ, but less than 50% of people reciprocate.
Huh! My wife and I walk on almost a daily basis, whether it is around the neighborhood or in one of the local parks. We always say hello to whomever we are passing. Last week, someone did not return our greeting, they were the very first this year. You’re not growling at people, are you?
Old 04-28-2021, 06:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Back in the mid-80’s my ex-wife (wasn’t an ex then) and I travelled across the country tent camping. Somewhere in the mid-west we tried to get a bagel, and were looked at like we were aliens!