Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 09:00 PM   #41
New here, old elsewhere

When I lived in Central Florida, the town's Wal-Mart had a RV park right next door. In the summer it stayed empty but the town's population was 4X higher in the winter. We were entering the side door so I held it open for my wife and kids. Before I entered I noticed an older gentlemen approaching so I held the door open for him. He was so offended by this gesture that he laid the worst cussing I've ever heard on me. Now I worked in the state prison system for 25 years so I've heard some rough talk! I apologized to him for being the only polite person he'd ever met and understood why he was visiting Florida now. I entered the door, made sure I closed it completely and went about my way. I'm still holding doors open for people, what a sad miserable person he must be to this day.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:08 AM   #42
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
OK, y’all. I’m feeling much better about being “that guy” now. As for being from the South and in the South, I’ve found Yankees to be pretty dang nice, too. My wife is a Damn Yankee. (I call her that with the utmost love and affection. I’m glad she came down and never moved back.) Everyone I encounter in Upstate NY when we visit seems very friendly. One of the friendliest is a retired detective from Queens. Seriously.
Anyway, I’m gonna continue being me. Not being myself never works out very well anyway.
Thanks!
That retired detective learned the 'gift of gab' a long time ago. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:48 AM   #43
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
When I lived in Central Florida, the town's Wal-Mart had a RV park right next door. In the summer it stayed empty but the town's population was 4X higher in the winter. We were entering the side door so I held it open for my wife and kids. Before I entered I noticed an older gentlemen approaching so I held the door open for him. He was so offended by this gesture that he laid the worst cussing I've ever heard on me. Now I worked in the state prison system for 25 years so I've heard some rough talk! I apologized to him for being the only polite person he'd ever met and understood why he was visiting Florida now. I entered the door, made sure I closed it completely and went about my way. I'm still holding doors open for people, what a sad miserable person he must be to this day.
Sounds like this person was actually mentally ill, not bad manners. And of course I still hold doors. When I am not acknowledged, I say, "If you're not gonna thank me, at least tip me!"
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:31 PM   #44
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Sounds like this person was actually mentally ill, not bad manners. And of course I still hold doors. When I am not acknowledged, I say, "If you're not gonna thank me, at least tip me!"

His traveling partner explained to me that where they are from, the only people who do nice things want money. Also said he's always been a jerk (clean version). Poor guy.