Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #1

If you could only buy one.

If you could buy either x-chocks or a kingpin tripod for stabilizing your 5th wheel, which would it be? Or, is it better to use both? I tried making a wooden version of squeeze type chocks and tried them this past weekend, they were completely loose when I went to remove them. We are having quite a bit of front to back motion, but it goes side to side a little too.
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #2

I have the BAL X-Chocks, they reduced movement quite a bit...but I'm still not happy. So I have ordered a set of JT Strong Arms so hopefully those will work. Seems to me Iggy on the forum here has the Steady Fast system maybe he can chime in. I decided against the kingpin tripod as I have read mixed reviews, and it's another piece of gear to carry and stow.

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
If you could buy either x-chocks or a kingpin tripod for stabilizing your 5th wheel, which would it be? Or, is it better to use both? I tried making a wooden version of squeeze type chocks and tried them this past weekend, they were completely loose when I went to remove them. We are having quite a bit of front to back motion, but it goes side to side a little too.

If you installed them right after you arrived at your destination, this is normal. As you drive the tires will heat up and expand. If you install them while the tires are hot, as the tires cool down they will shrink and the chocks will be loose. I install our roto-choks immediately when arriving at our destination and then a few hours later tighten them just a bit more.

I use chocks and a king pin stabilizer. If I were to use just one, it would be the chocks. I personally like Rot-chok:

Rotochok Online

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #4

i don't think either will give u the stability u think u should have.
i installed the steady fast system on my 5th wheel this spring. they make a big difference. king pin stabelizer did little for me.
the steady fast system is better when the land gear isn't run out almost to its limit: our first trip, we set up on level ground and rear stabilizers and front landing gear jacks were extended "normal", trailer was very steady; second trip, we had a sloap, rear stabilizers were extended very little, front landing gear jacks were almost all the way. in fact, i had to retract the land gear almost all the way (while on the truck), drop the feet, then run the out again to get it level. the steady fast was still good but the trailer still had more rock in it.

u need the chocks but ultimately, u are going to go to the braces to stabilize the trailer (there are two systems mentioned in these post, i have steady fast. cost is going to be abt 3 times the cost of the king pin stabilizer but it works). on a large trailer, the king pin jack does very little.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #5

i had more problems getting past the advertisement for the steady fast. if i hadn't read other (independent) reviews, i would not have bought them. lets face it, it isn't likely people are walking around the campground noticing ur trailer jumping around.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #6

I've never seen the steady fast unit, but I understand triangulation as a stabilizing means and that sounds good, as does the short setup and tear down time. I think I'll look into that in the spring. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #7

I built my own 'steady fast' system, using ball-and-socket fittings on the ends of each rod. I also welded a 1"x2" rectangular tube between the front landing gear leg support tubes, first to add strength to the front legs, and second to provide a solid attachment point for the two side-to-side stabilzer bars up front.
I attached front-to-back stabilizer bars to both front legs, and didn't just screw them into the wood strip under the camper frame, but bolted them right through the frame. This required removing the the plastic tubs in the basement door openings to access the frame, but that was easy.

I had a tripod for the fifth wheel pin before, and it was pretty good, but my 'steady fast' system is better. The main thing is that there is no slop in it whatsoever, thanks to the solid mounting and the ball-joint ends I used. Any slop in the system at all will allow the camper to move.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I built my own 'steady fast' system, using ball-and-socket fittings on the ends of each rod. I also welded a 1"x2" rectangular tube between the front landing gear leg support tubes, first to add strength to the front legs, and second to provide a solid attachment point for the two side-to-side stabilzer bars up front.
I attached front-to-back stabilizer bars to both front legs, and didn't just screw them into the wood strip under the camper frame, but bolted them right through the frame. This required removing the the plastic tubs in the basement door openings to access the frame, but that was easy.

I had a tripod for the fifth wheel pin before, and it was pretty good, but my 'steady fast' system is better. The main thing is that there is no slop in it whatsoever, thanks to the solid mounting and the ball-joint ends I used. Any slop in the system at all will allow the camper to move.
Do you have any photos of this setup that you'd be willing to share? I sorta enjoy making my own things from time to time.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #9

I had the x-blocks. They worked a bit. That is until I drove off with them still installed. Depressingly, the truck didn't even 'groan' when pulling out. On the plus side, nothing was damaged (except the x-locks - which I was able to bend back into shape).

Since these didn't stop the shakes, we've asked many 5er's what they thought of the tripod and had mixed reviews, with few really impressed.

However, we also found a few people with the SteadyFast system (or similar) and they universally raved about how good it was.

I prefer things made in the US, and they've been responsive to my emails. Once I get done paying for the damage caused by the Chinese tire failure ($2914 - picked it up today...), I'll be ordering a set of the SteadyFast stabilizers.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #10

Question information please

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I built my own 'steady fast' system, using ball-and-socket fittings on the ends of each rod. .
crocus -

I'd like to know more about your ball-and-socket fittings. Where did you get them, how are they attached, do you have pictures?

Thanks.
daurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #11

I'll try to get some pictures later today. I got the ball-and-socket fittings at a handyman supply center, where they have stuff to make stuff. Hydraulics, sprockets, bearings, tools, trailer axles, pretty much everything you need to build anything. My favorite store!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #12

Here are a couple of pictures showing my version of the steady-fast system. I welded a 1x2 rectangular steel tube between the leg towers so I had a solid attachment point for the stabilizer bars, plus it adds strength to the legs.
The side bars are mounted (at the back) to the camper frame. The mounts are bolted solidly to the frame. I had to remove the basement door opening tubs (those black plastic tubs by the door) to gain access to the frame, but that was easy.
The ball-and-joint ends come in many sizes, I just got some that had bolt ends about the same size as the holes in the legs.
There is virtually no slack in the system anywhere, and is very quick to use. And it looks a lot slicker than the real Steady-Fast. I don't know why they made it so complicated, other than they could charge more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050040.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	7603   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050041.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	7604  
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsquarepants View Post
I have the BAL X-Chocks, they reduced movement quite a bit...but I'm still not happy. So I have ordered a set of JT Strong Arms so hopefully those will work. Seems to me Iggy on the forum here has the Steady Fast system maybe he can chime in. I decided against the kingpin tripod as I have read mixed reviews, and it's another piece of gear to carry and stow.
i was going to type up a reply to the original post.....but bob pretty much said the exact same thing i was going to

i have the bal xchocks.....they serve better as a wheel chock than they do as a stabilizer. i didnt notice much difference

a guy i always camp with has the strong arms. it is literally night and day difference. worth every penny

never owned a kingpin tripod/bipod....but all i hear are mixed reviews. and like bob said....it take up ALOT of room

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote