Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Honestly, that doesn't sound all that bad. I know others that have had a lot more trouble.

The chairs arent really a FR problem though. Thats more on whoever made them.

WRONG , if the factory didnt buy and install cheap products then at least some of these problems would not occur. That goes along with hiring good honest people that TRY to build these RV’s.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
WRONG , if the factory didnt buy and install cheap products then at least some of these problems would not occur. That goes along with hiring good honest people that TRY to build these RV’s.
In a perfect world.......

Good luck with that.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #23

Quote:
My unit's factory doesn't buy cheap products. You're making wild accusations and painting the world with an invalid broad brush. And I doubt the people who make these RV's could be any more honest. Have you met any of them?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I owned two FR products and had serious and not so serious issues. All manufactures have problem, I have hear what some would classify horror stories from Heartland. No near as many silly little issues as I had with Rockwood. If I had the money I would buy a Dynamax in a heartbeat, some other FR products not so much which why the buyer needs do research, buy local (or far away and find your own service depot/mobile repair service), read forums (1 or 3 in 100 might have a issue) that is better uptime than most Internet providers can offer.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Price point of the units often sets the level of quality of the bolt in items. Fit in finish, that's on the people who build them. It takes just as long to do a crappy job or do it properly.
I had a interior drawer come apart on our fist trip. Facing of drawer is stapled to the box. I counted about 20 staples that missed, 20!, Four screws and a little wood glue would have been durable.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #26

Quote:

Mostly they hire Amish to build campers, as a whole really nice people. Most Amish have a eighth grade education but you don’t need a PHD to do the same job everyday. You do have to work fast and the Amish don’t like overtime. At Cedar Creek they start at 6am and normally work till 2pm, then home to work on the farm till dark. At Wildcat they brag about 90% of the workers are Amish, well the other 10% put my Wildcat together. But it sure was one pretty camper
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #27
Site Team

No taking sides, but just a fact.

It's impossible convince a plant manager to spend money for 10 more minutes to complete a task, 4 more assembly personnel, or higher quality OEM appliances to install when he can't satisfy the orders he has and is reporting record profits and sales. Unfortunately in big business, until there is an alternative product or drop in sales that impacts the bottom line, I don't expect to see any major changes. There are a few exceptions and one that comes to mind regularly on FRF.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #28

we had a 2017 Greywof with a list as long as a rap sheet for some people I know.

All small items - but it was the 75 or 76 emails issued between myself and FR that killed me off their line of product

never again. the last emails resulted in their calling me to inquire what the issues were. when I told them I purchased a KZ TH over less than 700$ American for problems to fix they were like

sometimes the product lines amongst manufacturers is similar - service makes it a different ball game.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #29

No problems

I am on my second coachmen Leprechaun, I had a 2013 210 QB, I have a 2015 260 DSF now. I never had either one back to the dealer. I have had som minor glitches that I took care of myself, but I would expect that no matter what brand or type of RV. I guess I’ve been lucky, hopefully hat continues.
Leprechauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I just wish folks would not bash all of Forest River just because their one (out of about 40) divisions made a bad trailer. You don't bash GMC because your Chevy Cruze is not great.

And for the OP, those are very minor issues. Good luck with finding any trailer with fewer issues at that price point.
But, I think that's the problem: "good luck finding anything better." We would never tolerate this low level of quality in a $30-50,000 car but we've come to accept it in a similarly-priced RV.

I'd love to see the European caravan/MH manufacturers start selling their products over here. That'd shake Elkhart up. Look how the influx of Japanese imports in the 80s drove quality improvements in the Big 3 automakers here.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #31

I do agree, just a little more time and effort during assembly, a little more attention to detail would save a lot of head aches later. For the service people and us customers.
Leprechauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #32

Rockwood signature lite 8329ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
I pull rv's for a living so I see lots of different models from numerous manufacturers. QC is becoming a real problem as units are being pumped out way to fast in my opinion. I take pride in what I do, so I really inspect each trailer before I hook up. Things I have seen are incredible. This year I have actually refused to take some trailers because they were so bad. I had one unit that was "ready to go" and none of the interior lights were screwed to the ceiling, they were just hanging by the wires. I will say that I have had no issues with Forrest River units.
We have enjoyed our 2016 Rockwood and after the first year we had all the trim from all 3 slides replaced and one of the motors that levels the front of the camper. We bought a breathable cover and a backup camera for it and getting ready to sell it because it's a little small for us now at 35 ft total length. Looking to get a Grand Design Solitude 375 res which is a 5th wheel...Any buyers for the Rockwood?
CharlieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #33

Last month we traded in our four year old Keystone Bullet for a 2019 Rockwood 2606WS that we love. The Bullet started out with a dinette seat that wasn't properly supported (my husband fixed it) and then the shower pan cracked due to poor support. (It was out of warranty so we paid to have it replaced and it was expensive.) The fridge had to have a new computer board (under warranty) and the toilet broke (under warranty.) Last month was the straw that broke the camel's back when the floor became spongy right down the center. We cut our losses and traded.

Love the Rockwood, but we have already had to trouble shoot for an electrical problem and found grounding wires had come loose in three places. (Big Thank You to AZ Pete on this group for telling me where to look!) But the Rockwood is definitely a much more sturdily constructed unit than the Bullet, so I am hoping it holds up. Every day I find something else in the Rockwood that delights me. I want to send a note of appreciation to the designer who thought of all sorts of things that make me happy, even a hanging shower caddy in the shower. And OH the huge picture window on the front, right over the bed. Love it, love it, love it!
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #34

I recently traded my problem plagued 2008 Cardinal 5er for a 2018 Arctic Fox 5er, which is supposed to have a reputation for high quality. It definitely has beefier frame and undercarriage construction as well as some high end features. It was shipped with a bad battery which would have been a problem if discovered on a real trip. Other than that the shakedown cruise presented no problems. Currently preparing for a first trip of 2 months and while adding a cross bar to the screen door I noticed many of the screws holding the inside screen door frame to the paneling seemed to be not tightened all the way. I was able to tighten some of them, but some of the screws weren't screwed into anything, I assume meaning that the paneling was cut short. A few other examples of sloppy workmanship have appeared as well. I can't wait to see what other issues I find once we get on the road. I think the bottom line is that the quality of the build depends on the individual technicians doing the work...just like in auto manufacturing. You pays your money and takes your chances. And hope the manufacturer will stand behind their products,
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #35

My four keys to success with RVs: (We're on our 4th RV)
1. Start with a positive attitude and be civil, i.e. polite - it works wonders especially when talking with dealers or direct to FR.
2. Do as much as you can do yourself - good DIY skills can save lots and lots of time and often can even save you money such as with missed camping opportunities or even the price of gas to get the repair location.
3. Find a reputable FR-authorized "independent" dealer who is incentivized to get a good repair out the door in a reasonable time - working with dealers, especially CW, is the source of many industry customer service complaints.
4. As I learned from an old post: "Your RV has to be your hobby."
Old 05-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #36

Actual show of hands..........how many of you have actually been in a plant on tour and watched them build these?

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Actual show of hands..........how many of you have actually been in a plant on tour and watched them build these?
I visited the FR plant in Indiana. I'm not sure why or how visiting the plant helps solve the quality control issue.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I visited the FR plant in Indiana. I'm not sure why or how visiting the plant helps solve the quality control issue.
It helped me see that there wasn't much of a problem, and that jobs were indeed done fairly well. "FR" is not very specific. Not sure about your division or plant.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I think you'll find the same issues with any other RV company, even more expensive rigs:

RV Industry: On Notice... No More Cr@p!! - Forest River Forums
Less with Vanleigh by the Tiffin family. They only do 7 units a week. Just bought mine.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #40

Quote:
It helped me see that there wasn't much of a problem, and that jobs were indeed done fairly well. "FR" is not very specific. Not sure about your division or plant.
The Cardinal plant. Saw some 5ers being assembled. Asked some questions. Difficult to see QC problems during a brief tour. Its the results of the manufacturing process that matter.