Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #1

Improper Slide Operation

In April 2009 our 2004 37 FLQS (front living area) Cedar Creek 5th wheel slipped off the hitch hitting the bed of our truck. Damage to the front cap was repaired, however, since that incident we have had noticed a problem with closure of the right front slide. When retracted the bottom closes, however; there is a 4-6 inch gap at the top. When extended the left front slide will not seal properly.
We have contacted the slide manufacturer who says there is no adjustment to correct this problem. We have taken the rig back to the body shop who has inspected the frame for weld breaks, etc. and can find no obvious problem.
Question: Has anyone out there had a similar problem? What was the cause? What was done to correct it? What advice can you offer?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Nancy Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Golden View Post
In April 2009 our 2004 37 FLQS (front living area) Cedar Creek 5th wheel slipped off the hitch hitting the bed of our truck. Damage to the front cap was repaired, however, since that incident we have had noticed a problem with closure of the right front slide. When retracted the bottom closes, however; there is a 4-6 inch gap at the top. When extended the left front slide will not seal properly.
We have contacted the slide manufacturer who says there is no adjustment to correct this problem. We have taken the rig back to the body shop who has inspected the frame for weld breaks, etc. and can find no obvious problem.
Question: Has anyone out there had a similar problem? What was the cause? What was done to correct it? What advice can you offer?
Thanks in advance for your help.
First off to the FRF. Sorry to hear about your problem. I have a travel trailer and the slide out has an electric motor. My rig has been in the shop 3 or 4 times with different issues with the slide out. There is a possibility that when the rig slipped and hit the truck it could have twisted the slide out or knock it out of alignment in some way. I am going to suggest to look at a few things that i had noticed when my problems started.

#1. Listen to the movement of the slide out, Does the slide out sound like it is straining to move when you open or close it and do you hear any dragging or scraping noises?

#2. Do you have carpet in front of the slide, if so does it look like there are deep impressions on the surface of the carpet once the slide out open?

#3. While the slide out is open go out side and look under the slide out exterior part of the bottom of the floor, there maybe a black material like covering on the bottom do you see any score marks?

#4. With the slide out open go to the out side and pull the rubber seal back and check to see if the slide out side walls are equal distance apart from the primary wall of the camper on both sides.

#5. When you open the slide out does the floor to the slide out drop down and meet the primary floor to the camper evenly all the way across?

#6. Inspect the drive rails, motor mounts and drive gears to see if any thing came loose, missing bolts or bent. This stuff is on the out side of the camper under the slide out. While operating the slide out have someone out side watching as the slide out move from under to see whats happening if anything.

This is the best i can do at this time, other members may chime in with there suggestions. Hope you find the problem....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #3

Thank you so very much for your reply: There is no apparent "strain" as the slide comes in. There IS damage to the black covering on the underside of the slide where it appears to have been dragging. There is no damage or deep impressions on the carpet and the floor does match evenly all the way across. I have not measured the distance as you have suggested. The body shop says they measured the frame and can find no obvious problem. My opinion regarding the black material.....since the slide IS tilting as it gets closer to being totally retracted I think one would expect damage to that material.
Like I said....everyone seems to be stumped. Think my next suggestion to the insurance company is to have the rig inspected by a shop which has more experience in slide operation than the current body shop who has been checking it for more than a month. Thanks again for your input. Right now I am attempting to establish whether or not the "hit" could be the culprit causing my problem.
Dan
Nancy Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Golden View Post
Thank you so very much for your reply: There is no apparent "strain" as the slide comes in. There IS damage to the black covering on the underside of the slide where it appears to have been dragging. There is no damage or deep impressions on the carpet and the floor does match evenly all the way across. I have not measured the distance as you have suggested. The body shop says they measured the frame and can find no obvious problem. My opinion regarding the black material.....since the slide IS tilting as it gets closer to being totally retracted I think one would expect damage to that material.
Like I said....everyone seems to be stumped. Think my next suggestion to the insurance company is to have the rig inspected by a shop which has more experience in slide operation than the current body shop who has been checking it for more than a month. Thanks again for your input. Right now I am attempting to establish whether or not the "hit" could be the culprit causing my problem.
Dan
One of the last times i had mine in the shop was because the slide out had dropped down out of it's nornal operating position and had shifted to the rear of the camper, this is when the score marks showed up on the bottom on the black material. The shop had to lift the slide out back into position and then re align the slide out.

When your camper slipped and feel and hit the truck this could have happen to you slide out and this may have cause other issues that are unknown at this time. I did post a pic of my score marks on the forum, if i can fine it i will repost on this thread so you can compare.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #5

Found it

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-out-3578.html There is a score mark on both sides.