Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 11:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
As to FL drivers, we lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 15 years, Learn to drive with the left turn signal on for 14 miles, then turn right at some point. Or better yet, make the left turn from the right lane. One can always get 2 more vehicles through a red light. Be sure to use the right foot on the accelerator and the left foot on the brake at the same time. It keeps those behind you trying to figure out what you are up to with the brake light going on and off. Speed up to 40 and then slow down to 30 then back up to 40 and then down to 30. It is reported to be good leg exercise. Always wear a flowered shirt, white cargo shorts, wingtip shoes, and argyle socks to mid-calf.
DARN IT, BOB!
I laughed so hard I started coughing!
I was stationed at Kings Bay, GA, exit 1 on I95 in GA, just above Jacksonville, FL, and all seasonal retired commuters on the east coast would be passing though.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:36 AM   #22

Ethanol free gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Many swear by using premium gas for more power but, in my case, it isn’t cost effective. Running regular will instantly save you gas money.
Increasing tow vehicle tire pressure also helps. It’s a trade off.
  • Ethanol free gas usually gets higher mpg, and may be more economical even given its higher cost.
  • Higher tire pressure helps with mileage, but can shake the heck out of your rig. Agree … it’s a trade off.
BjceyzF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
he is going from Florida to NY, that is uphill anyway you look at it (unless you hold the map upside down).

Snowbird on his way home.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
he is going from Florida to NY, that is uphill anyway you look at it (unless you hold the map upside down).
Actually, if you look at the shape of the earth, technically it’s downhill. I couldn’t resist, I can still remember a lesson in school talking about the Mississippi River flowing uphill :roflblack and that was way back in the 50’s! I’m so old it’s a wonder I remember anything from school
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
Actually, if you look at the shape of the earth, technically it’s downhill. I couldn’t resist, I can still remember a lesson in school talking about the Mississippi River flowing uphill :roflblack and that was way back in the 50’s! I’m so old it’s a wonder I remember anything from school
Don't you mean flat...
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:20 PM   #26

If you want to get better performance out of your truck get a cold air intake kit for it, use synthetic oil, run a good fuel cleaner through that will clean the injectors. Doing those things with all the other suggestions will improve your performance and mileage.
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe
Armywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:23 PM   #27
Fla5er

If you're not trading paint on the Interstate and going through towns, if there is a four lane road through town, stay in the left lane. Many times there are drivers who are turning right in the right hand lane, which causes a slow down/speed up situation that eats fuel as you drive. Just be traveling somewhere close to the posted speed limit to be courteous to other drivers. And look as far ahead as reasonable to anticipate the traffic lights.
Living here in Florida, we're used to foreigners who don't know how to keep a constant speed: most are from New York...
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:12 PM   #28
Chris and Cecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintercamper View Post
I'm looking for tips and suggestions on improving MPG.

We're getting ready to tow our travel trailer from Florida to upstate NY in a few weeks and the all time high gasoline prices are going to make this a very expensive trip.

I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L engine. My travel trailer weighs in at just over 5000lbs but with everything loaded we will probably be at around 7000lbs. My truck is rated to pull up to 9600lbs.

I know that controlling my lead foot and driving slower speeds is probably one of the biggest things I can do to help improve mileage. I plan to try to maintain 60MPH on the trip.

Any other suggestions? Not going is not an option - haha.
One thing I saw recently mentioned changing AC control to recirculate airflow instead of using outside air coming in to cool the tow vehicle. Apparently less stress on the AC compressor to recool already cool air instead of cooling outside hot air. Minimal improvement but with diesel 6.25/ gal in PA last week we tried anything we could.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:12 PM   #29

Experiment and find what speed your truck likes the best and stay with it. One of my older diesels loved 63 MPH and I don't tow much faster then that anyways.

Don't use cruise control.

Each night go out to the local fuel stops and get fuel there. If you can, try to avoid states with the highest fuel cost. Pennsylvania comes to mind. They are at least $.35/gallon more than NJ and it is all state taxes.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Potter View Post
One thing I saw recently mentioned changing AC control to recirculate airflow instead of using outside air coming in to cool the tow vehicle.

but this raises your chances of falling asleep. in fact some modern cars and trucks turn recirculate off automagicly after X minutes.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:46 PM   #31

As already noted air resistance is the primary factor and is exponential. It's twice at 70 than it was at 50.

Hard to drive 50 though. It's 36% more at 70 than 60 which you can do for a few minutes before frustration takes over. Note this is air speed, not ground speed so the idea to watch weather patterns and search out tail or rear quartering winds is valid. 50mph into a 20mph headwind is like driving 70 in calm conditions.

Have no idea why someone recommended leaving the cruise control Off. Fastest way to irritate every other driver is to let your speed vary +/- 5mph constantly. You may want to avoid WOT on grades by bringing speed up before the grade starts. And cruise control will help maintain that slower speed by keeping your right foot out of it.

Hopefully you're not coming up I95... Upstate gives us no clue to your destination. Every part of NY outside of NYC is either "upstate" or Long Island. Buffalo? Watertown? Binghamton? Plattsburgh? All "upstate." (Some are North Country but that distinction is trivial here.) Traffic on I81 is lighter than I95 and there are no massive cities on that route.

-- Chuck
Old 05-13-2022, 06:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Hopefully you're not coming up I95... Upstate gives us no clue to your destination. Every part of NY outside of NYC is either "upstate" or Long Island. Buffalo? Watertown? Binghamton? Plattsburgh? All "upstate." (Some are North Country but that distinction is trivial here.) Traffic on I81 is lighter than I95 and there are no massive cities on that route.

-- Chuck

Upstate is the Catskills up to Albany.

Adirondack is north of I90.

Central NY is Syracuse, Elmira, Corning.

Western NY is Rochester, Buffalo and Jamestown.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:24 PM   #33

Technically I think it's called the Southern Tier of NY. I'm heading to the Corning area. My plan is to take I95 to SC and then hit I26 to I77 and go up I81. With a 26 gallon fuel tank I'll be stopping about every 200 miles or so to get gas. Fun fun.
Wintercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:15 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Technically I think it's called the Southern Tier of NY. I'm heading to the Corning area. My plan is to take I95 to SC and then hit I26 to I77 and go up I81. With a 26 gallon fuel tank I'll be stopping about every 200 miles or so to get gas. Fun fun.
My 3.5 Ecoboost F150 with the Max Tow package, has a 36 gallon fuel tank. Helps a lot, compared to my 5.3 Avalanche.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:59 AM   #35

I'm from NM. What is this turn signal thing you're talking about. I don't think we have them here.

I haven't done enough testing to be sure, but I'd swear I get better mileage when I have my canoe on top of my truck while towing the trailer.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:38 AM   #36

Quote:

This is the route I always use to go to central PA.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
My 3.5 Ecoboost F150 with the Max Tow package, has a 36 gallon fuel tank. Helps a lot, compared to my 5.3 Avalanche.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
I have had the itch for a while to trade my truck in for an F150 Ecoboost with the max tow package and the 36 gallon tank but this is not a good time to buy so I'll just have to make my frequent gas stops. At the rate I burn the gas towing I will be stopping about every 3 hours or so.

But I'm not going to be in a hurry. Slow and steady wins the race.
Wintercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:57 AM   #38

I get my best mpg on long trips following behind a high profile 18 wheel truck. No need to draft close or tailgate ,stay several (safe) car lengths back. Just pick a truck in the slow lane going about the speed limit and follow. Usually brings my mpg up .5 to 1 mpg on a long highway drive.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:49 AM   #39

Quote:
I have had the itch for a while to trade my truck in for an F150 Ecoboost with the max tow package and the 36 gallon tank but this is not a good time to buy.

why not a good time to buy? Price? all you need is X plan, and you can get that as easy as joining some clubs (like mustang club of America). Automatically like 2% below dealer cost, plus all rebates.

I think you have to be a member for 90 days before you can use it, but it takes that long to order what you want anyway.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #40

Quote:
. At the rate I burn the gas towing I will be stopping about every 3 hours or so.
Look at the bright side. The slower you drive, the longer it will be between gas stops. At least in "time" if not miles

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg