Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

In need of some reviews

Hi All! We just got home from the local RV show in Denver today. We have been actively looking at a 5th wheel and I thought I had it narrowed down to the Keystone cougar or copper canyon bunkhouses with the outdoor kitchen, then we came across the V-cross Platinum 365VTSB by Forest River and we really like it. I have some questions so bare with me.
1. How is the overall quality of these compared to other manfactures?

2. How is Forest Rivers customer service (after the sale)?

3. I have a chevy 2500HD Duramax 3:73 gears is this enough truck for this 5th wheel Dry weight of 10,060 and GVWR of 11,870. My truck has air bags and is a crew cab short box.

4. Would you buy another trailer from Forest River?

Thanks in advance for your replys.
SAlexander81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #2

I have a Flagstaff A frame by Forest River and I'm having problems finding a local service center, something to consider. The Dealer I purchased from is 2 hours away.
DobeFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #3

I agree this one has a dealer about 20mins from my house, it is hard to find good reviews on a manfacture and dealers
Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

You'll have no issues towing any of the 5th wheels you mentioned.

We're on our second Rockwood camper...wouldn't hesitate in buying another.

I'm a bit curious about the V-Cross. The specs indicate a cargo carrying capacity of only 1810 lbs...that's very low for a 40 ft camper. I also noticed that the waste tank capacity aren't that big. Things to consider.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAlexander81 View Post
Hi All! We just got home from the local RV show in Denver today. We have been actively looking at a 5th wheel and I thought I had it narrowed down to the Keystone cougar or copper canyon bunkhouses with the outdoor kitchen, then we came across the V-cross Platinum 365VTSB by Forest River and we really like it. I have some questions so bare with me.
1. How is the overall quality of these compared to other manfactures?

2. How is Forest Rivers customer service (after the sale)?

3. I have a chevy 2500HD Duramax 3:73 gears is this enough truck for this 5th wheel Dry weight of 10,060 and GVWR of 11,870. My truck has air bags and is a crew cab short box.

4. Would you buy another trailer from Forest River?

Thanks in advance for your replys.
No way I would buy that trailer. With barely 1100 pounds of payload that means that you will never be able to load anything in it except minimal food and clothing before you run out of payload. It is not too difficult to load over 2000 pounds into a fifth wheel for a camping trip.
As for your truck? Depending on how your truck is configured, 4X4, crew cab etc it could scale ready to camp around 7500 pounds. With a GVWR of 9200 or 9900 pounds depending on year build means your net payload, meaning pin weight will be around 1700 to 2000 pounds. Figuring 20% of the trailer weight as pin weight means that the maximum trailer you will be able to tow before you exceed the manufacturers numbers is around 10,000 pounds ready to travel.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #6

Yeah I wonder what is up with only 1810 lbs of cargo room. Does anybody have any idea why so little weight?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAlexander81 View Post
Yeah I wonder what is up with only 1810 lbs of cargo room. Does anybody have any idea why so little weight?
It would be two reasons...frame design and the weight ratings of the axles installed. It probably only has 5200 lb axles.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #8

Short box on the truck, sure they told you that will require a sliding hitch.
firstkatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote