Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
I went on vacation to Phoenix, Arizona for 2 weeks a few years ago. We drove to different places around Phoenix and then drove to Vegas and back. I saw a lot of trailers and RV's on the road. The driving was very nice there. It seemed like everyone was on the same gear when it came to being on the road. I didn't see anyone speeding, cutting people off or driving like an idiot. Is this truly the case out west or were my eyes blinded by all of the scenery?
All my towing has been in the western states and provinces and I've never had any issues or seen anything terribly bad.
2020 KZ 130RBSE
Old 06-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #42

Which city has the worst driving etiquette

I grew up in London, England, drive as mad a a hatter.
I've driven bikes, cars, trucks (we call them Lorries) and vans galore,
tow a 14ft box-trailer, or a 26ft travel-trailer often.

I've lived in Switzerland, Southern Germany, Boston,
and 18 years in Jersey, I know the parkway and even worse, the turnpike near Patterson.

I now live in central FL, I go to the Keys sometimes.
It all pales to nothing compared to Miami.
Even Bombay in India is not so mad, they may be just as crazy but they are going 30mph, not 85+

Always plan to pass Miami middle-of-the afternoon, midweek.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #43

Drivers

My wife and I routinely talk about how you can tell which drivers tow and those who donít. Those who tow understand how their driving impacts your towing and generally give you plenty of space and ďpatientlyĒ wait for you to maneuver your rig. Those who donít are usually the ones who follow closely, pass at high speeds and/or cut in front of you.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.rodgers View Post
I've driven bikes, cars, trucks (we call them Lorries) and vans galore, tow a 14ft box-trailer, or a 26ft travel-trailer often.
You mean a 26 ft caravan?
2020 KZ 130RBSE
Old 06-15-2021, 06:16 AM   #45

Quote:
I grew up in London, England, drive as mad a a hatter.
I've driven bikes, cars, trucks (we call them Lorries) and vans galore,
tow a 14ft box-trailer, or a 26ft travel-trailer often.

I've lived in Switzerland, Southern Germany, Boston,
and 18 years in Jersey, I know the parkway and even worse, the turnpike near Patterson.

I now live in central FL, I go to the Keys sometimes.
Even Bombay in India is not so mad, they may be just as crazy but they are going 30mph, not 85+

Miami is like Bad Company for you, Mr. Rodgers.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #46

I remember towing a 5er as my first trailer on my first tow into town of 40,000 during their busy time on their busy road and coming over an overpass and seeing brake lights right in front of me. The unknown factor of how backed up a road gets even in a smaller town/area and the areas where there are blind spots will teach you a lesson in a hurry. I was able to stop the rig in time, stopping about 6 inches from the car in front of me. That stayed with me for 20 years.

I bought a bumper pull TT after that 5er and experienced trailer sway. I won't have a TT again. I'm a 5er for life guy now.

I know that people don't like being behind me and that when near a merge that they will try to get in front of me. I don't blame them, I'm hard to see around and that makes them feel unsafe. I try to do little things like move a little to the right part of my lane to allow them to see around me.

My number one wish is that people understood how much room we need to stop.

To counter things, I see a lot of courtesy on the road too. I see people slow down when I put my blinkers on, flash their lights to let me know they see me coming, etc.

Love you neighbor as yourself is about the best road advice available.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:20 AM   #47
JCR

I was towing my trailer and had a Biden sign on the rear bumper. A semi truck was right behind me , pulled out and literally cut over in front of me ran me off the interstate . I ended up on the shoulder doing the necessary gyrations to stay upright and straight. People are vicious and hateful on the road and today I believe that was actually an attempt at murder. A less seasoned driver probably would have lost it and rolled over. We have a dangerous and reckless society out there so be ever so vigilant .
Old 06-15-2021, 07:46 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I was towing my trailer and had a Biden sign on the rear bumper. A semi truck was right behind me , pulled out and literally cut over in front of me ran me off the interstate . I ended up on the shoulder doing the necessary gyrations to stay upright and straight. People are vicious and hateful on the road and today I believe that was actually an attempt at murder. A less seasoned driver probably would have lost it and rolled over. We have a dangerous and reckless society out there so be ever so vigilant .

Signs are distracting 🤣
Old 06-15-2021, 08:05 AM   #49
JCR

Yes for stupid people.LOL
Old 06-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #50

Advertising one's political persuasions
may not be a good idea in this day and age..
Old 06-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Why do you think it was the bumper sticker? Political stickers from both major US parties are a dime a dozen. Do you think that trucker is attempting to murder Biden supporters on a regular basis?
Old 06-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #52

Quote:
This is why I won't ever put any kind of sticker or sign on rear bumpers or back windows.

There are people out there who will be offended by whatever you display and who knows what they will do to demonstrate their displeasure.

Even if you aren't the target of Road Rage, when parked many vehicles with "candidate" signs/stickers often become the target of vandalism by those with opposing views.

We live in a far different society today than that of the past.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 06-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #53
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
This is why I won't ever put any kind of sticker or sign on rear bumpers or back windows.

There are people out there who will be offended by whatever you display and who knows what they will do to demonstrate their displeasure.

Even if you aren't the target of Road Rage, when parked many vehicles with "candidate" signs/stickers often become the target of vandalism by those with opposing views.

We live in a far different society today than that of the past.
The only sticker I put on my vehicle/bumper is for the NRA! For obvious reasons.
Centerline TS WDH
2004 Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson
Old 06-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #54

that is why we got a camera for the front of our vehicle. We can record the activity just in case.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #55

Welcome to planet earth!
Old 06-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyr View Post
that is why we got a camera for the front of our vehicle. We can record the activity just in case.
I got a front and rear camera for my son's car. I'm wanting to capture some Karma thing to put on YouTube. The only thing so far is a bunch of tailgaters and I caught my son yapping on the phone while driving.

Golf ball-sized hail wouldn't be as destructive if golf balls were just made smaller.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I got a front and rear camera for my son's car. I'm wanting to capture some Karma thing to put on YouTube. The only thing so far is a bunch of tailgaters and I caught my son yapping on the phone while driving.
It's been illegal to use a hand held cell phone for years in our State.

IF the State Patrol started enforcing that prohibition the State could balance the budget and cut taxes at the same time.

Seems like every other car driving down the highway has a driver either texting or yakking on the phone glued to their ear. State Troopers will pass them and do absolutely nothing.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 06-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #58

Welcome to a truckers life

I totally relate to the post about inconsiderate drivers. I was an over the road trucker and so many other drivers scooted around the big rig like I was some sort of a quick response sports car - cutting right in front to where I couldnít see their license plate, passing on the right while myself trying to pull a safe distance ahead of a vehicle is just passed, not leaving space for my wide turns and on and on. Ya just have to drive defensively and assume that no one respects your size and weight.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #59

My son was long haul driver. He said semi's get the bad rap but usually if an 18 wheeler is involved in an accident you can bet it was caused by a 4 wheeler.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #60

Quote:

When I was stationed at Opa Locka (CGAS Miami), we used to call the 4PM rush hour on the Palmetto Expressway "The Cuban 500".

One time, I had make an emergency landing with the Coast Guard helicopter in the middle of the interchange between I95, FL Turnpike, and Palmetto Expressway at 4:30PM. The "lookie-loos" simply shut down all 3 highways completely. Because traffic was so jammed, we had to fly another helicopter to the site with the repair parts, which made the jam even worse. Made the evening news that night.

Fred W
Closed Thread