Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 09:22 AM   #1

Inconsiderate drivers

I never realized how inconsiderate drivers are until I started towing my trailer. I am used to bad drivers being that I live in Jersey and am close to NYC. Drivers rush, cut you off, tailgate and also break check on a regular basis. Not to mention all of the stupid things I see such as driving between two lanes, doing 40 on a 55, etc. Unfortunately, it comes with living in the tristate area. What I did not expect though, are drivers putting your life in danger when you are towing a trailer.

I returned from a trip on Sunday and I was on the highway. I was on the right lane being that I was going the speed limit and everyone else was way above it. A delivery truck zoomed past me easily going 80+ mph. I felt my Yukon get pulled into the left lane and then pushed out. The trailer started developing a side to side shake so I squeezed the trailer brake switch and it quickly lined back up. I was in complete shock that a delivery truck driver would see a trailer being towed and would drive so close to it going at a much higher rate of speed.

Another crazy situation was on Friday on my way to a campground. I was in the right lane and an on ramp merged with my lane. A car was way behind me and I am guessing that when he saw my tow and trailer he did not want to get stuck behind me. He gunned it and tried to pass me. I was already at the end of the merge and my trailer was still covering part of the merging lane. This idiot decides to run the shoulder all the way until he got in front of me and cut me off. I was afraid that my trailer was going to hit him so I had to suddenly move to the left lane a little. If there was a vehicle there I probably would have hit them as I tried to avoid the guy passing me on the shoulder.

There was one good thing that I experienced though. A big rig was coming up behind me on a straight away going much faster than I was. He moved over 2 lanes and passed me on the fast lane. He then crossed over to the right lane and ended up ahead of me. That driver was clearly aware that his big rig would have affected my tow and trailer if he had passed me at a high rate of speed.

They don't teach you these things in driver's ed. lol
Old 06-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #2

Well now you are aware that you can be the most hated vehicle on the road to no fault of your own. Always be aware of traffic.
BTW that safe distance you keep in front of you is considered fair game to everyone else especially at approaching red lights.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Old 06-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #3

Some are inconsiderate (as in, purposely driving the way they drive for their own selfishness with no care to you because they are WAAAAY more important than you) and others are completely oblivious to how their actions will impact you. As you mentioned, just something you have to try to be aware of to lessen the impact of their idiocy. I truly believe that until you tow something like a travel trailer, you really have no idea how your actions impact that driver towing. We always marvel at the people that do crazy things just to get in front of you. We always joke that they are putting an awful lot of faith in me to want me to be behind them. They have no idea if I am a seasoned veteran towing my RV, or if its my first trip. Worst case scenario is they went out of their way to get in front of a guy who might be clueless towing and ultimately ends up plowing into them....

When we were towing a Mini Lite with an F150, I found that the two things that had the biggest impact on me (with regard to air movement/sway) was vehicles with a flat front (like a motorhome) or small cars travelling at a high rate of speed. If either of those 2 options passed me, I would feel it. A regular cab 18 wheeler wouldnt really make any noticeable impact. But if a Corolla went by me travelling 20 mph faster than me (just a guess on their speed) I would really feel it. I just assume that at that speed they dump a LOT of air, dramatically, on the rear corner of the trailer, which is felt all the way to the front of the truck.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #4

It's even worse in a MH. Now that we have a class C it seems that I have more cut offs than I did when we had the TT.

"Is this a game show?"
Old 06-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #5

Aerodynamic forces are incredible. You take for granted what you cannot see. I definitely felt the square/box shaped vehicles. The streamlined ones were not a big deal unless they are very close.

And yes, drivers don't take into account the sheer momentum that a combined tow and trailer have when trying to stop. The same goes for drivers that cut off big rigs. I learned that one the hard way. Luckily the incident happened at a slower rate of speed while in traffic. Unknowingly I cut off a big rig and the driver hit the brakes but he still hit me from behind and pushed me 1 1/2 car lengths ahead. Fortunately, the car ahead of me kept rolling and I did not hit it. Had I been at a red light I would have been pushed right into traffic.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #6

I was in my car. If I was towing my trailer, I would have had a car embedded right in the middle of it. In our town, there is a T intersection. The straight through street transitions from 2 way traffic on the right to one way traffic on the left. The side road is one-way 2 lanes, so the left lane of the side road turns directly into the left lane of the now one-way street. The right lane of the side road turns directly into the right lane of the now two-way street. There is no need for any stop signs at this intersection because nobody is supposed to be crossing any lanes of opposing traffic.

So, I am on the one-way side street making the right turn and I have to slam on my brakes to avoid this car that comes flying from the left lane of the cross street traveling the wrong way on a one way street.

We all have to drive defensively, and don't take anything for granted. For example, look up that one way street and make sure no one is coming the wrong direction on it.

Personally, these days, I am more concerned about getting shot at by an impatient driver with road rage than a mere accident.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #7

See it all the time when we haul our 5er. Recent trip from NC to Orlando we encountered our share of road idiots. Had several people pass me in a no passing zone when I was going 60 in a 55. They weave in and out and will cut you off without a 2nd thought. I would bet these jerks have never hauled an RV or driven a big rig so they don't know (or care) about stopping distances, etc.

After this past trip, decided we're going to get a front mounted camera for recording purposes. Darling bride is an insurance agent and she noted it's worth the investment.

And I just want to know....where are all the cops when you need one? Sigh...
Old 06-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #8
Always Learning

This is all easy for me to say from the comfort of my chair. I wasn't in the driver's seat so no offense meant. I also lived in northern New Jersey for a year and driving there was unlike anything I've ever experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
I was afraid that my trailer was going to hit him so I had to suddenly move to the left lane a little. If there was a vehicle there I probably would have hit them as I tried to avoid the guy passing me on the shoulder.
This one - I would never flee my lane unless I knew for certain it was empty. I'd rather my trailer get hit than move over and hit someone. Changes fault from their fault to my fault. At least with getting hit, you know it's coming.

I'd also likely have slowed down as soon as I realized the guy was going to be stupid. This would have given them more room to get in front of me and possibly would have avoided some of the drama.

Quote:
I returned from a trip on Sunday and I was on the highway. I was on the right lane being that I was going the speed limit and everyone else was way above it. <snip> The trailer started developing a side to side shake so I squeezed the trailer brake switch and it quickly lined back up. I was in complete shock that a delivery truck driver would see a trailer being towed and would drive so close to it going at a much higher rate of speed.
You were likely driving faster than I do. On 60 mph and faster roads, I will drive 62-64 mph. I feel like I have better control and people can just go around. I've done this coast to coast for thousands of miles of towing. Yes, it takes a little longer to get there but as far as I can figure out, my 50 mph average for trips is the same as every one else.

Second, the delivery drivers have no concept. Box truck drivers are the worst in my uneducated view. They drive it like it's a car with no regard to anyone else.

But, given your scary hill situation and this description of sway- I'm starting to wonder if your tow vehicle is a bit too small for your trailer. The hill was an extreme, I get that. But sway that requires pressing the brake controller from a passing truck seems like it might be a bit much.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This is all easy for me to say from the comfort of my chair. I wasn't in the driver's seat so no offense meant. I also lived in northern New Jersey for a year and driving there was unlike anything I've ever experienced.

This one - I would never flee my lane unless I knew for certain it was empty. I'd rather my trailer get hit than move over and hit someone. Changes fault from their fault to my fault. At least with getting hit, you know it's coming.

I'd also likely have slowed down as soon as I realized the guy was going to be stupid. This would have given them more room to get in front of me and possibly would have avoided some of the drama.

You were likely driving faster than I do. On 60 mph and faster roads, I will drive 62-64 mph. I feel like I have better control and people can just go around. I've done this coast to coast for thousands of miles of towing. Yes, it takes a little longer to get there but as far as I can figure out, my 50 mph average for trips is the same as every one else.

Second, the delivery drivers have no concept. Box truck drivers are the worst in my uneducated view. They drive it like it's a car with no regard to anyone else.

But, given your scary hill situation and this description of sway- I'm starting to wonder if your tow vehicle is a bit too small for your trailer. The hill was an extreme, I get that. But sway that requires pressing the brake controller from a passing truck seems like it might be a bit much.
The sway wasn't anything crazy. I was erring on caution more than anything else. It was a very interesting weekend to say the least.

And you are right, I should have stayed in my lane but it was a knee jerk reaction. Next time I will let them hit me and then give them the middle finger because they caused the accident
Old 06-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
I returned from a trip on Sunday and I was on the highway. I was on the right lane being that I was going the speed limit and everyone else was way above it. A delivery truck zoomed past me easily going 80+ mph. I felt my Yukon get pulled into the left lane and then pushed out. The trailer started developing a side to side shake so I squeezed the trailer brake switch and it quickly lined back up. I was in complete shock that a delivery truck driver would see a trailer being towed and would drive so close to it going at a much higher rate of speed.
Do you have a sway control bar on your WDH? That can help with that. Though, it may just be that you're not used to the feeling, and as you do it more, it might not actually be so bad.

Quote:
Another crazy situation was on Friday on my way to a campground. I was in the right lane and an on ramp merged with my lane. A car was way behind me and I am guessing that when he saw my tow and trailer he did not want to get stuck behind me. He gunned it and tried to pass me. I was already at the end of the merge and my trailer was still covering part of the merging lane. This idiot decides to run the shoulder all the way until he got in front of me and cut me off. I was afraid that my trailer was going to hit him so I had to suddenly move to the left lane a little. If there was a vehicle there I probably would have hit them as I tried to avoid the guy passing me on the shoulder.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you were in the right lane, and the car that was merging onto the highway tried to get ahead of you, and ended up in the shoulder to get past you? And during this time, your trailer was covering part of the merging lane? And then you swerved into the left lane suddenly without knowing if there was a vehicle there?

If my understanding is accurate, you have made several mistakes. First, if you're in the right lane and see an on-ramp that merges with your lane, your first reaction should be to check your mirrors and see if the left lane is open. This gives you an option to move to the left lane, and if you choose not to, at least you'll know if you have the option to move into the left lane if the need arises. This is true if you're driving any vehicle, not just when towing a trailer.

Second, if cars are merging into the right lane, the courteous thing to do is to move into the left lane so they can merge more easily and more safely. This isn't always possible to do, but if the left lane is clear, I always do. If the above scenario happen to me, I'd be asking myself why I ever put myself into that situation when there was a left lane open.

Third, it sounds like you were veering into the merge lane as the other vehicle was merging in? I'm hoping I was misunderstanding that part.

Lastly, suddenly veering into another lane without knowing if anyone is occupying that lane is incredibly dangerous.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Do you have a sway control bar on your WDH? That can help with that. Though, it may just be that you're not used to the feeling, and as you do it more, it might not actually be so bad.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you were in the right lane, and the car that was merging onto the highway tried to get ahead of you, and ended up in the shoulder to get past you? And during this time, your trailer was covering part of the merging lane? And then you swerved into the left lane suddenly without knowing if there was a vehicle there?

If my understanding is accurate, you have made several mistakes. First, if you're in the right lane and see an on-ramp that merges with your lane, your first reaction should be to check your mirrors and see if the left lane is open. This gives you an option to move to the left lane, and if you choose not to, at least you'll know if you have the option to move into the left lane if the need arises. This is true if you're driving any vehicle, not just when towing a trailer.

Second, if cars are merging into the right lane, the courteous thing to do is to move into the left lane so they can merge more easily and more safely. This isn't always possible to do, but if the left lane is clear, I always do. If the above scenario happen to me, I'd be asking myself why I ever put myself into that situation when there was a left lane open.

Third, it sounds like you were veering into the merge lane as the other vehicle was merging in? I'm hoping I was misunderstanding that part.

Lastly, suddenly veering into another lane without knowing if anyone is occupying that lane is incredibly dangerous.
Both you and I read something totally different.
To me it sounds like someone did not want to be stuck behind him so they made an unsafe mad dash to pass on his right where there was no lane or the merge lane was not safe to use.

Sounds to me that the OP could not move to the left, and was trying to keep his rig safe and straight.

based on what I read the OP has every reason to be frustrated
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30 [/B]
Old 06-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #12

And here's something else...how many people have had some idiot pass them in a dangerous manner just to get ahead of you and then you pull up right behind them at the next stop sign or stop light? That's actually a big consideration for me when I am considering passing someone when there is no passing lane, because it is extremely embarrassing to me to pass someone using an oncoming traffic lane and then have them pull in behind me at the stop sign or light.

And the right lanes ends ahead.....wow. So yeah, you're right....those of us who saw the sign and moved to the left lane are supposed to yield to you in the right lane who think that sign means we are supposed to because you just have to get in front of us using the right lane that is ending in 50 feet.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #13

I'm going to stick with robo44 because he understood the scenario best. Some of the post here are making me look like the inconsiderate driver.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #14

Everyone should have to tow a trailer in drivers ed. Just like everyone should work at least one job in food service and/or hospitality. The world would be a better place.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #15

It's not just the tristate area. We live near Houston.
It used to be bad, but now it's worse. Everyone seems to have forgotten how to drive during the lockdown.
As one who used to get impatient when stuck behind a trailer or mh, I have some (but not much) sympathy for someone who gets stuck behind me. All you can do is drive defensively.
Glad you got home safely.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:58 PM   #16

We were returning from a camping trip in upstate NY, traveling south on 287. Traffic was light (thankfully) and there was an accident on the right shoulder. The right lane was coned off, I looked in the mirror and saw an opening, do I accelerated and moved to the middle lane. The moron who was already in the middle lane gets the accident scene and jambs on his brakes, coming to a full stop so he could look at the accident! There was no way I could stop, so I gunned it (fat big of good that did)and swerved to the fast lane since no one was there. This was my worst skivvy changing experience.

Another time, we were returning from a trip to PA on 22 heading into Easton. There was toad work in the right lane of the 2-lane road. I put on my blinker to move over just as a bunch (50 or so) motorcyclists riding up in the left lane. My lane was ending and I started to creep over, but they kept coming. I could see a couple passing me, but there was a long line, so I continued to creep over. The guy riding next to me started to curse at me (I was creeping slowly and was NOT going to hit anyone). I’m all for sharing the road, but come on, it goes both ways.

Yeah, people are not only inconsiderate, but can be complete idiots on the road. Especially towing, you need to be completely on guard.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Maybe the impatient guy passing on the shoulder had been stuck here before.Click image for larger version

Name:	bf0e811b345e19a091372bdb88e67a75.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	256468

Life is about changing perspectives and priorities: I used to worry if one of my hairs was out of place, now I don't care if they both are.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #18

Red face

I stay away from commute hours when possible.
I stay away from colleges when they start or get out.
I stay away from casinos at night.

I do pull over trailer or not on country roads when possible to allow passing.
I do not tail gate.

I never ever have a loaded gun on the freeway thats reachable.

I breath in and out and try to stay relaxed.

2017 4Wheel Camper Hawk
Trail West 2 Horse Trailer
San Diego Area
Old 06-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Another time, we were returning from a trip to PA on 22 heading into Easton. There was toad work in the right lane of the 2-lane road. I put on my blinker to move over just as a bunch (50 or so) motorcyclists riding up in the left lane. My lane was ending and I started to creep over, but they kept coming. I could see a couple passing me, but there was a long line, so I continued to creep over. The guy riding next to me started to curse at me (I was creeping slowly and was NOT going to hit anyone). Iím all for sharing the road, but come on, it goes both ways.
Wait, you knowingly merged into a group of motorcyclists and they were the a-holes? Jebus H. Crickey.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inciter View Post
I stay away from commute hours when possible.
I stay away from colleges when they start or get out.
I stay away from casinos at night.

I do pull over trailer or not on country roads when possible to allow passing.
I do not tail gate.

I never ever have a loaded gun on the freeway thats reachable.

I breath in and out and try to stay relaxed.

I've actually pulled over a few times on back roads to let others pass. My kids were really proud of me for letting others go by knowing that I was driving slower than them on the windy road because I was towing.
Closed Thread