Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2022, 06:03 AM   #21

Oh yes, here's the link to the 10ga cord you will need. It's working great so far. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PVZ3N1W...roduct_details
SNHIPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNHIPP View Post
Oh yes, here's the link to the 10ga cord you will need. It's working great so far. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PVZ3N1W...roduct_details
I have the 12/3 cable from the same company but only needed 15ft
dc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #23

Good idea to sneak an extension cord past slide-out seals, of course, if the OP has a slide-out in his rig.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc99 View Post
My camper is permanently set up and I recently bought a 1500w infrared heater because propane is ridiculous now. My RV is 30A so it will trip the breakers after a while. Im guessing its the electric water heater and such just overloads it.
On the campsite pedestal there is the normal hookup for the RV (30A),A 50a and two extra GFI 110 plugins. My question is, can I run a outdoor grade drop cord into my RV from the 110 pedestal plug and use that to power my infrared heater?
You need to install a separate 15 amp breaker in your power panel, the install a plug from that breaker to where you want the heater. All your 110 volt plugs are connected to one or two breakers, so you always share a circuit with other appliances, therefore over taxing those breakers. You can't run a toaster and coffee pot at the same time on the same 15 amp circuit.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:04 PM   #25

Umm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The OP was asking about using an extension cord from the pedestal as an extra circuit.

There was no mention of the wires within the R/V being any different than yours.

But... on a slightly different note, yet related to your comment... every R/V I've seen with a slide uses stranded SO cord (because of movement) to feed any outlets in the slide so yes, there is effectively extension cord wiring in R/Vs.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Forest River Forums mobile app
That flexible cable is available in AWG 12, the same gauge as the AWG 12 solid wiring commonly used in residential and RV 20 amp circuits. There's nothing flimsy or underrated about AWG 12 SO flexible cord.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #26

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcape View Post
You need to install a separate 15 amp breaker in your power panel, the install a plug from that breaker to where you want the heater. All your 110 volt plugs are connected to one or two breakers, so you always share a circuit with other appliances, therefore over taxing those breakers. You can't run a toaster and coffee pot at the same time on the same 15 amp circuit.
Why? Easier to just use the cord for the heater. The only hard part is figuring out how to get it into the RV.

Many of the folks who have added a second air conditioner to a 30-amp RV do this. They actually add an exterior plug (with the standard 15/20 amp shape) on the outside, with a short run of NM cable to a new interior outlet for the air conditioner.

There's no reason to run it through the breaker panel.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:05 PM   #27

something like this may help....

just as an example .............. not confirming this is the one to buy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095H6RJ8Z...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 12-06-2022, 03:18 PM   #28

Looks reasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
something like this may help....

just as an example .............. not confirming this is the one to buy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095H6RJ8Z...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Looks reasonable to me.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Why? Easier to just use the cord for the heater. The only hard part is figuring out how to get it into the RV.

Many of the folks who have added a second air conditioner to a 30-amp RV do this. They actually add an exterior plug (with the standard 15/20 amp shape) on the outside, with a short run of NM cable to a new interior outlet for the air conditioner.

There's no reason to run it through the breaker panel.
What I wound up doing was going in the same panel as my normal hookup wire. Just enough room for the drop cord without modifying the plastic cover. It comes out into an open space under my pantry where the outside shower lines are I simply drilled a small hole right in the corner and cut the edge for the cable (drop cord) to pass through. When Im done using it I can simply push the excess cord back into the cavity and only the plug end is sticking out. Thanks for you advice
dc99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater