Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #1

Install Generator

I have a 2015 Wildcat 327ck 5th wheel. I am thinking about installing a generator in the storage area in the lower front. I have seen generators installed in these areas in other 5th wheels. I am wondering if anyone else has done this. It is a honda 3000 watt. Thanks
ButchBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #2

Wow. I think this has been discussed before. I don't think you want a generator physically inside a compartment on your fiver. Noise, exhaust, probably difficult to fuel up, unless it's propane, I guess. Hang loose- there will be lots of replies and ideas!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Wow. I think this has been discussed before. I don't think you want a generator physically inside a compartment on your fiver. Noise, exhaust, probably difficult to fuel up, unless it's propane, I guess. Hang loose- there will be lots of replies and ideas!
Are you talking about putting it in the lower front storage behind your tailgate where the levelers are located?
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:20 PM   #4

Beware of installing a portable generator in a storage compartment.

Generators that are meant to be installed in compartments are designed totally different in order to prevent excessive heat buildup and infiltration of CO gas.

They use a "Vacuum Cool" fan system which rather than blowing the cooling air over the engine cylinder fins, it sucks air in over the cylinder and exhausts the hot air directly from the fan. Basically backwards from a portable. This also insures that any exhaust gas that might leak at pipe connection is also sucked out of the compartment.

Of course there are some that go ahead anyway but then again we also read every year about people who die from improper generator use.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #5

I built a rear shelf for my EU3000:

On my A-Frame I carry it on the front tongue, to balance the motorcycle that I carry on the rear:

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #6

I am thinking about the front compartment under the hitch behind the tailgate. I would actually raise the door when the gen is running. I am interested in a good place to store it and use when we are off grid. I don’t plan on wiring it in just plugging in when used. I am not sure if the front compartment floor is designed for the extra weight.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Beware of installing a portable generator in a storage compartment.

Generators that are meant to be installed in compartments are designed totally different in order to prevent excessive heat buildup and infiltration of CO gas.

They use a "Vacuum Cool" fan system which rather than blowing the cooling air over the engine cylinder fins, it sucks air in over the cylinder and exhausts the hot air directly from the fan. Basically backwards from a portable. This also insures that any exhaust gas that might leak at pipe connection is also sucked out of the compartment.

Of course there are some that go ahead anyway but then again we also read every year about people who die from improper generator use.
Yes I'm sure they need air, that's why I was asking where the OP was going to put it. And on my 5er that front storage compartment is also where my batteries are sitting. I wouldn't want to put anything that runs off a combustion engine next to my battery
Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
I built a rear shelf for my EU3000:

On my A-Frame I carry it on the front tongue, to balance the motorcycle that I carry on the rear:

Blue pill how do you like the aframe
Old 01-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #9

Maybe I should explore other options. I really don’t want to install it on the rear as we haul our bicycles on the back. I haul it in the back of my pickup just fine. Looking for something more convenient. My goal is to just hook up to the trailer and go.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchBecky View Post
Maybe I should explore other options. I really don’t want to install it on the rear as we haul our bicycles on the back. I haul it in the back of my pickup just fine. Looking for something more convenient. My goal is to just hook up to the trailer and go.
You can carry them in the storage compartment, but place them on the ground while using them
Old 01-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #11

That is a great idea except for it can’t lift the generator by myself. If it is in the compartment it is hard to get good leverage to lift it out. I need to come up with some kind of sliding tray to pull out.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchBecky View Post
That is a great idea except for it can’t lift the generator by myself. If it is in the compartment it is hard to get good leverage to lift it out. I need to come up with some kind of sliding tray to pull out.
Yes they can be heavy,it would be nice to mount it somewhere. My guess is the front might be the only place. My 5er has a battery in that compartment, I was thinking it wouldn't be safe to place it next to the battery. But they put our batteries next to the engine in a TV without problems. And there is 2 air vents for the batteries in said compartment . But like you said just leave the door open in front while using it. I think that would take care of the co2 problem
Old 01-29-2019, 07:11 AM   #13

many 5th wheels have generators installed in the front compartment. but there are several components to the installation that may not be conducive to installing a portable generator there.
- there is a sheet metal generator enclosure installed to encase the generator. i think the reason is to contain exhausts.
- the floor is cut out and a grate is installed, again to allow outward ventilation
- an exhaust pipe is installed to route exhaust gases out of the compartment and to the side of the 5th wheel.
- there are fuel lines installed so that you do not have a fuel tank and filler pipe on the generator itself.
- the generators are connected to the house batteries to provide power to electrically start the generators. i wouldn't want to bend down and try to pull start a generator in that compartment!
- there are transfer switches installed to switch between shore and generator power.

i saw a post some time ago where somebody installed a small hoist in their truck bed and used it to move a generator into and out of the truck bed. doing that would be a whole lot simpler than going through the effort to mount it in the front storage compartment
Old 01-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
many 5th wheels have generators installed in the front compartment. but there are several components to the installation that may not be conducive to installing a portable generator there.
- there is a sheet metal generator enclosure installed to encase the generator. i think the reason is to contain exhausts.
- the floor is cut out and a grate is installed, again to allow outward ventilation
- an exhaust pipe is installed to route exhaust gases out of the compartment and to the side of the 5th wheel.
- there are fuel lines installed so that you do not have a fuel tank and filler pipe on the generator itself.
- the generators are connected to the house batteries to provide power to electrically start the generators. i wouldn't want to bend down and try to pull start a generator in that compartment!
- there are transfer switches installed to switch between shore and generator power.

i saw a post some time ago where somebody installed a small hoist in their truck bed and used it to move a generator into and out of the truck bed. doing that would be a whole lot simpler than going through the effort to mount it in the front storage compartment
True, but I think you are speaking of the bigger onans. The OP is talking about smaller gens like the Honda. They are usually easy to start ,not much different than a lawn mower. We always bend over to start the lawnmower. But like you said , the addition of gasoline could be a mess if you spill it.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #15

big or small, the point that i was trying to make is that fuel supply and venting of exhaust needs to be considered. the items i listed are the steps that are taken to address these issues when installing a permanent generator. they still need to be addressed if it is a smaller portable. i would not want exhaust fumes coming up into the trailer nor would i want to try to fill the fuel tank in a confined space and end up spilling fuel. and yes many of them start on the first pull. but how many of you have tried to start a lawnmower or generator and ended up jerking your head or arm up even if it starts. do you want to do that bent over reaching into that compartment with the cover and kingpin just over your head?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
big or small, the point that i was trying to make is that fuel supply and venting of exhaust needs to be considered. the items i listed are the steps that are taken to address these issues when installing a permanent generator. they still need to be addressed if it is a smaller portable. i would not want exhaust fumes coming up into the trailer nor would i want to try to fill the fuel tank in a confined space and end up spilling fuel. and yes many of them start on the first pull. but how many of you have tried to start a lawnmower or generator and ended up jerking your head or arm up even if it starts. do you want to do that bent over reaching into that compartment with the cover and kingpin just over your head?
I know what you are saying, and yes they are all good concerns. But in my compartment I have 2 vents already there one on each side it's for the battery fumes. And as far as everything just above your head , it's going to take some time to remember this. I still hit my head everytime I get in that compartment. And the only thing that's in there is my battery and battery disconnect, and the gas grill
Old 01-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #17

I carry two Honda’s 2,000i in the basement of my Cedar Creek. When I use them I place them on the ground, they only weigh fifty pounds. I keep the Honda’s in the basement to hopefully keep thieves away and from walking off.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I carry two Honda’s 2,000i in the basement of my Cedar Creek. When I use them I place them on the ground, they only weigh fifty pounds. I keep the Honda’s in the basement to hopefully keep thieves away and from walking off.
And they dont walk away, they run away.

Tags
generator